Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom website "problem"

Options
  • 07-08-2003 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

some of you may have come across this......

I have 2 proxys here, one netsource DSL and the other eircon ISDN

went to signup for an email addie on eircom from netsource: Forbidden and apparently the page was not found.

Change proxy server, BING webmail signup easy as pie.

Back to netsource proxy, the page was not found again!

more than a coincidence methinks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

not really a problem
    you arn't allowed sign up for an email address unless you are connect via eircom (which is what your proxy settings say)

QED

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They don't allow access to their support pages either, which I always thought was notably Eircomesque.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by MiCr0
    not really a problem
    you arn't allowed sign up for an email address unless you are connect via eircom (which is what your proxy settings say)

QED

T'is the same if you try to access their "build webspace" section. Crafty I tells ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Same with some isp's not allowing u to send mail through them unless your using their network. Seems reasonable enough to me.. (unless u payed for the webspace /email)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wicklah

Originally posted by dahamsta
    They don't allow access to their support pages either, which I always thought was notably Eircomesque.

adam

Adam,

Which page?

Eircom.net allows most Irish ISP's addresses to connect to the sign up services.

SouperComputer,

What was your IP with netsource?

Wicklah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

What was your IP with netsource?

he he.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Originally posted by MiCr0
    not really a problem

QED

technially I am on eircom, bearing in mind they own all the lines!

also, using oceanfree I had no problem acessing the signup page.

eircom crack me up man

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

http://support.eircom.net/

I don't know if they still block access to it, I'm (kind of) on an Eircom netblock.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Nope, it all seems to be freely available now.
    From the i-stream support part
    What Operating System are you using?

Windows 95.
    Windows 98.
    Windows ME.
    Windows 2000.
    MAC
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Not long after this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91620&highlight=not+irish+according+to+eircom was the problem fixed by €irscum.

Its standard practice to only allow outgoing mail be sent through an ISP's mail servers if you are connected via their dialup, etc. This is to prevent mail relaying.

If you could you would never get to check your email from all the spammers trying to hack passwords and send mail out through your account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wicklah

Originally posted by Páid
    Not long after this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91620&highlight=not+irish+according+to+eircom was the problem fixed by €irscum.

Its standard practice to only allow outgoing mail be sent through an ISP's mail servers if you are connected via their dialup, etc. This is to prevent mail relaying.

If you could you would never get to check your email from all the spammers trying to hack passwords and send mail out through your account.

Not entirely true. You can relay mail through most ISP's if you have validated your username and password to prove you are a customer no matter what IP you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by wicklah
    Not entirely true. You can relay mail through most ISP's if you have validated your username and password to prove you are a customer no matter what IP you are using.
    Or pop before sending type authentication.

Advertisement