Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake2 and Quake3 for muppets

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭adra

DeVore.......
    U spam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

Ok Deja Vous..

All i am going to say is that every skill required to be a good CA player is also requierd to be a good dueller/war player and a sh!tload more on top of that. Now you can go on about cattle prodding and mad rocket jump aliases, but any decent war player would beat the **** out of a CA player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Eh lads remember this is a Q1 v Q2 thing, not a shaggin Arena v War (start another thread for thats one. K now em, oh yeah Blade we think yr cool too even if ya do play Quake smile.gif. Where did this newbie have a fair shot at stayin close to a ninja come, I mean ffs, did you not see Thresh wipin the Floor with Billox in the recentish UK wireplay thingy. Billox is far from a newbie, while not the best in the UK I think he is prolly top 5 or so, and Thresh totaly humiliated him. So Q2 certainly rewards the more skillful player by a longshot

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Nah CA is good like just not quake tho'........and quake2 is deadly..blade like all this more skill in quake1 ****..but quake2 is more fun.........and not as many shades of brown

Yes Thresh wiped the floor with bo=illox and Thresh is a Quake1 player. He just played quake2 cause it was the newest game out, therefore required for the PGL, he has gone back to Quake1 now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Dev CA gives u all weaps.. tons of health... and u cant damage yourself. It's for muppets face it, ask Zero smile.gif

Anyway everyone seems to be missing my point here, I'm not saying "skill" in the same sense of the word as most of you are taking it. Sure there are arena skills, sure there are CTF skills (grapple etc) but at the same time there are Chess skills, they are all different skills, but what I'm talking about is the basic skills which apply to ALL first person shoot em ups from doom to quake3, which are:

1) To be able to aim accuratly at high speeds
    (the higher the better)

2) To stay alive as long as possible
    (including not killing yourself)
    which rewards you with 2 things
    one is that the enemy gets less
    frags and two that you are more
    stocked up in A/H and weapons
    which gives you the advantage
    you deserve over your enemy.

3) To know where and when to pickup
    items along the way.

Those are the 3 basic elements in all the games we are talking about and will more than likely remain the 3 basic elements of games to come, games of this type of course. If a game "Levels out game play" by reducing in any way the skills needed in any of those 3 I listed then the end result will NOT SHOW the true basic skill levels of players. Sorry dev but CA ruines basic requirement no.3 and in our case kinda f*cks up no.2 too.

Love
    Blade

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How To Argue Just Like Blade In 3 Easy Steps.

1. Make up some dubious "required skills".

2. Avoid any discussion as to whether these "skills" really ARE required. Dont even acknowledge that you are plucking them from thin air and they are solely your opinions.

3. Show that the object of your argument breaches those rules (you might want to think about this before choosing the rules in the first place) and then denounce it from on high.

When I studied logic this was called The Scarecrow Argument. Build him up then knock him down...

If CA only needs you to have a good aim, then how the fuk do I do well in it, cos my aim is pretty dismal.

I notice you dont mention teamplay in your list.

Here's a parady of Blades logic, by reducto absurdum (go look it up smile.gif )

They are all different skills, but what I'm talking about is the basic skills which apply to ALL first person shoot em ups from doom to quake3, which are:

1) To be able to aim accuratly at high speeds
    (the higher the better)

2) To be able to rocketjump at will as often as you like around the place like a total loon (including not killing yourself)which rewards you with 2 things, one is that the enemy gets less frags (harder to hit) and two that you are higher then they are which gives you the advantage you deserve over your enemy (and a really pretty view too)

3) A general supply of everything so that you cant be beaten by idiotic weapons running. This allows your true skill to show through since you are both equally armed and have equal health.

Those are the 3 basic elements in all the games we are talking about and will more
    than likely remain the 3 basic elements of games to come, games of this type of
    course. If a game "Levels out game play" by reducing in any way the skills needed in
    any of those 3 I listed then the end result will NOT SHOW the true basic skill levels of
    players. Sorry Blade but War and Duels ruins basic requirement no.3 and in our case kinda f*cks up no.2 too.

Love
    DeVore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I couldn't be ar$ed reading all that, but I'll add my bit...

RARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

People who play Quake2 are people who couldn't handle Quake1.
    People who are good at Quake1 can beat Quake2 players at their own game (allowing time for adjustment). Simply because Quake is faster.
    Now let the muppets be quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

Creeper u fukin a$shole. First off, I wasn't fukin BORN when Q1 came out so I NEVER played it! And I doubht any of the other Q2ers did either.

Yet again just like the rest of the Q1 muppetry, if u wanna fukin TRY and back up your words then fukin do so and PLAY ME, or else shut daa fuk up u lame ass b!tch.

who do u luv.....

juNk laa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

Dev, i dont mind CA, so long as teamplay 1 isnt on.. remember, CA doesnt require TP1 to be on, it was a choice made by the majority of irish quakers at the time (whenever i got elected admin on the servers, i always changed it back to TP2, which incidentally also meant that we didnt suffer from "spam")

Original CA(which we played in trinity) has each person start on 200RA, 100H (not 350h, which takes longer to kill), and tp 2 (ie. you can kill teammates, and you can kill yourself)
    it was directly based on Rocket arena.
    That sort of CA WILL improve your aim.. and tactics(not war tactics, just mid-scrap tactics)

when ppl who play CA the way its played now play on LAN, they will get shafted EVERY time they rocket jump.
    and on top of that, they will look like newbies when they blow themselves up trying to kill an enemy on any server which doesnt have teamplay 1 on (ie. all war servers, and duel servers)
    Add that to the no. of ****ed off teammates who have been shot by you because youre used to tp1 on... smile.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Dev wrote:

1. Make up some dubious "required skills".

are these not the basic skills required for doom right up to quake3? I didn't make them up dev, maybe you haven't noticed yet but the rest of us have.

2. Avoid any discussion as to whether these "skills" really ARE required. Dont even acknowledge that you are plucking them from thin air and they are solely your opinions.

Ok so lets just not bother with even knowing where the health boxes are on the map, sure who needs health in a war when your an arena player. Lets just get used to rocket jumping till the cows come home sure we can hardly hurt ourselves in a war can we??? lets just fire anywhere and spam corners hoping we don't hurt any of our own team.

If CA only needs you to have a good aim, then how the fuk do I do well in it, cos my aim is pretty dismal.

Cause your an lpb an usually end up being the only one on the server? no well apart from that you are good at it, but that doesn't help u for wars.

I notice you dont mention teamplay in your list.

Because I was talking about the 3 basic elements in all 3d first person games which doesn't nessecerily involve a team, a 1 on 1 for example? smile.gif

Blade

P.S. U can say all you want dev but 95% of the ppl here will agree with me that CA is just a fun game and for muppets smile.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So there you have it folks, unless you play one specific game, (in fact one or two mods only for that specific game) with *specific* settings, you are a muppet.

Well, just call me kermit!

DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

absolutely amazing.
    this starts of with blade takin the mick and givin us a bit of an ol discussion, and it ends up as a full scale conflict on that age old question....... is CA a muppet game and war better an blah blah blah blah blah.

can you ppl not get so hot under the collar.
    i cant believe that after this long yis would learn to live with these differences of opinions. no-one really gives a toss what any of yis think and to be honest, yis are only makin yerselves look silly.

oh, and another thing. i play q1 but i still prefer q2. why? because its what i know best. i started with it. i know most of the consol commands that make playing more tweakable, i know the levels and i know the ppl i play against. why dont i play q1 over the net? coz i dont know any consol commands to make the game more enjoyable (although itd prolly be cheatin if i did do something like +mlook), i dont know the levels, i know very few of you q1ers personally. oh, and rocket jumping is a lot harder in q1 now, would yis ever fuk of and argue somewhere else.
    and dev, you should know better
    whitewash

you will also notice a distinct lack of smileys indicating that there isnt any humour in this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

CREEPER - that was probably one of the most idiotic posts I have read on this board, u truly are a gimp.

Also note the lack of smileys u bit(h smile.gif

DOH!

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Okay close this thread already this is getting annoying.

[Note: This message has been edited by Cloud]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I just had a great idea! Okay, I've just spent since 6 o'clock trying to reopen this thread (no such function in the UBB): vi-ing stupid little message files and taking out X'es, trying to make people's rants fit onto one line (or else the UBB just won't read it), transferring files from Unix to Windows to fix with other editors and FTPing them back again, reindexing the threads to reload the fixed messages, and when it didn't work, doing it all again and again and again.

And my idea?

Maybe if I reopen this thread we can kill this Q1 vs. Q2 for once and for all.

How long can it go on I ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Creepr for that post i should kill and rape your dog..in that other...kill...rape.......
    :/........................;p

Creepers post is actually the truest post up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

Well Scarab, you would think that being a little tosser yourself like.

Youse should wake up and smell the bull you're posting on these boards because it's beginning to really stink.

If youse have your own personal opinions about whether you like the game or not, that's fine.

What you shouldn't be doing is saying all the crap about how you don't need skill to play Quake 2.

Of course you need skill you moron. It is true that if you have played Quake 1 it's not that hard to get into it and good at it if you're already good at quake 1. Why? Because it's a sequel, it's essentially the same thing with a few major and minor tweaks to it.

If you have the skill already in Quake 1, if you can aim and essentially kill opponents, then of course you will be able to play Quake 2 fairly well. Why? Because they are both games based on hand-eye coordination, quick reflexes and mental responses. An in-depth knowledge of the basic tactics and strategies and maps and you should be away.

One thing I hate is this **** Quake 2 is getting from the Quake 1 players. It's none of their business in the first place. Us Quake 2 players for the most part keep our noses out of Quake 1 inless we actually play the game, and always seem to be defending ourselves to the larger Quake 1 Community.

Basically I'm tired of this crap, and hopefully everyone will agree that people have their own personal views and preferences, and that other people should leave them be.

If you disagree, you are one major tosser and we won't listen to your ****e. The only reason I am even bothering to respond is that respected people like Blade and DeVore have posted to the board in the first place, and I think they need to know STOP IT.

Thank you for your cooperation on this matter, and you're not getting a smiling because this is serious. Well maybe an angry smiley if I could find it. >:|

Kevin O'Regan,
    aka Kegser.

• Advertisement

Well if quake 1 people can move over to quake 2 easily then why cant quake 2 ppl move over to quake 1 easily, hand eye co-ordination an all that. Take QP for example, a Quake 1 player beat the **** out of almost everyone in quake2, ie Beast. The only person who beat him was vorosha who has now left so that means that a quake1 player is now better than any quake2 players at their own game.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

Right, you tell me who moved over to Q2 easily, and I swear ta fuk I'll tell ya some one a lot better than him who never played Q1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

ah ffs, who let u back in!? smile.gif...close this bleedin thread already..its a boring outmoded arguement and everyone knows the q1 players dont have a clue what theyre talkin about when it comes to q2, everything they say about q2 could be put in a big set of quotation marks. We dont exactly like each other so lets stick up a berlin wall type thing...we shall not bother you capitalist pigs if you leave our gleaming communist q2 paradise alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Shank

Scarab: u agree that a Q2 player is a failed Q1 player yeah, how did ya come up with that $hite, sounds to me like your a failed Q2 player gone back to Q1. As for Nicky, he seems to play a fair amount of Q2(is in 2 clans)and jus seems to be a ninja in general, any other ninja Q1 lad... I don think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Based on the posts seen here, I have to say that you, Scarab, are an idiot, and you, Creeper are a complete tit.

Now that said, the one q1 player you mention who can play q2 properly, Beast. Why do you think he can play it properly? Because he actually plays the game. He is in a q2 clan, he plays it. He does not post $hite on the board about the bloody differences between the games.

Maybe if you played q2 as much as Beast does/has done, you would be a little more qualified to offer an opinion. But you don't, instead it is continous rants about that holy grail of q1, the speed of the Rocket Launcher.

Why do you think id released q2, apart from making money, natch? It is a sequel to a game, now the usual course is that a sequel has some differences from what went before, thats what makes it different. I know that some q1'ers dont seem to be able to get their heads around that concept, but think about it for a few minutes. It's why they simply didnt release the same game again.

Now q3 is due for release. It seems to me that a lot of people are still playing q1 on the machines they had a while back, i.e. low end Pentiums etc. Those machines simply wont run q3. So I can imagine the whining when it comes out. It simply wont get a chance from people who are dead set on q1 as the best dm game ever.

I have played q1 a small amount, and i found it very enjoyable. But why did I stop? Because by the time I had started everyone else on had around two years of practice on me, hence I was slaughtered every time, and that aint fun. q2 just out, start playing that, no probs.

But the basic point is, if you prefer q1 to q2 then fu[king PLAY q1!!!!! if you prefer q2 then play it instead!! That's mostly what has been going on, and it's worked pretty well up to now. What makes you think q1 players can move over to q2 or back easily Scarab? Just cos q1 is faster it doesnt infer God-like powers to play all games on those who play it. Just explain that one to me properly, in English, without insulting anyone, if you can.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Can we at least agree that Q2 is a better single-player game?
    ..and Q1 single player is for coomplete muppets.
    my two euros worth wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Shank

Well I think that we can agree they're both crap single player games smile.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Oh my God!! Cloud why did you re-open this thread. Everybody knows this arguement won't ever be settled. Sure there's 50something posts here and it's gone from q1 is better than q2 to general slagging to CA is just as valid as War to general slagging to q1 is better than q2 to general slagging to... ad infinfu(kingitum.

"Q1 players know nothing about Q2" - oooh lovely and I'm sure that was all researched by polling all Q1 players. So I'd like to see the stats please.

"Q2 is for failed Q1ers" - WHAT!! What is a failed Q1er as a matter of interest? Someone who has never had access to a LAN because they work for a living and play the game for fun over a modem connection every evening or so and never beat the best.

"everybody knows Beast plays for a Q2 clan" - no I fu(king didn't know. Why should I fu(king care. I've better things to be doing.

"CA is for muppets and is bad for improving WAR skills" - again who give 2 fu(king shiites. I play for fun mate. What do you do? Masturbate at the thought of the RA around the corner in you dreams. CA is fun so I play CA. WAR can be good, intense and enjoyable but I refuse to be serious about Quake 24 hours a day. I'll leave that to the guys who seem to have 24 hours to spare and regular access to a LAN.

So lads - leave it out and settle it once and for all. Repeat after me :-

Half-Life is better than Quake and Quake2 smile.gif

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

my dads bigger than your dad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah but my Da's older!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement