Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake2 and Quake3 for muppets

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

what do you mean i have a big head?
    and so what if my mummy buys all my clothes?

hey just coz you came second in a ffa dont mean you the bees knees.
    that was after about 6 pints and tequila. everyone knows i cant play for ****e, and even less so after a few beers. mind you, i did go on to dominate the nights proceedings with some skillful tactics (ermm.. camping i mean) anyway, he only reson you one was coz i had no config. i knows its not much of an excuse coz you didnt have one either, but when youre used to a config an dont have one you keep pressing wrong buttons to get weapons an they dont come up. its a buit annoying. ou know what i mean?
    you dont? oh well. didnt stop me from fraggin your ass in q1 a few times though did it!not bad for a q2er to come 3rd in q1. must play ya in a dual sometime. smile.gif
    then we relly see what yer like
    white(lets get to 200 posts)wash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

commodore 64?? no way..
    amstrad CPC 6128+ yay!!! that came with a disk drive and cartridges !!! wow
    that extra 64k really made loadsa difference... i mean ehh errr hmm (struggles to remember either machine) oh yeah.. you didn't have to wait a couple of hours for the thing to load!! although u did get a lot less caffeine in your system cos of no waiting and stuff
    okay i'm talkin ****e ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Me too.

I agree with all of yis. Every last one. Except maybe Scarab and Creeper, cos everyone is slagging them. Populist? Me? Nahh.

Quake2 is much better than Quake1. But of course, we can't forget that Quake1 is also much better than Quake2.

Oooh, my head.

Ja na,
    Shin-[keep taking the pills]-chan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

Chess is better than Quake1/2/3, Monopoly and Half-life - if your playing the right person.

Quake is better than Monopoly, Chess, Half-life and Quake2/3 - if your playing the right person.

Monopoly is better than Chess, Quake1/2/3 and Half-life - if your playing the wrong person.

It isn't even a matter of taste wether a game is good or not. Some games are better than other games without bringing personal opinions into it. It's all to do with a games situation wether it's better than another.

E.G. - Quake1 with a modem at a 600ping playing 15 Japanese players (all of them refusing to talk) is a worse game then playing Quake2 on a LAN with 15 of your best friends all laughing and guffawing.

oh and eh Half-Life IS a better game Quake1-3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

Nah - sorry. The ZX speccy wins hands down for the shear entertainment factor of sitting around for half an hour watching lines move up and down the screen and wondering
    whether or not the game was going to load.

What other machine could possibly give you enough time to philisophize about life and the universe while Space Invaders was loading up ?

P.S. Now that I think of it, I remember a game called Mercenary that I used to play on my friends 64. Anybody know if its available somewhere for the PC ? Damn amazing game for its time ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

ZX speccie hands down winner. Some of the games were great value and icluded little sub games, like Elite & Lenslock. Not sure which one of those i spent more time playing with smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Oh please, the 64 was miles fu[kin better. Decent graphics and sound for the time, none of this colour clashing $hite like on the Speccy, and the sound on the Speccy, oh dear. Typin in a sound command Beep 8,14 - hahahaahahaha.

Mercenary was indeed a *****in game, as was Choplifter and Monty on the Run smile.gif Arr yes, them were the days when it were all fields around here etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

i still have 2 C64's and they are deadly
    cept the tape deck is broken on both of them i have one loaded with pennys and u can't walk around the room while it is loading or it ****s up.........bah them were the days
    anyone remember hungry horrice????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

YEA!! hungry horrice was the first computer game i ever playedmy bruder had it for the spectrum ahhh mad
    i still have me c64 aswell
    with that cartridge yolk with the games on
    awww them were the days alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

nah lads sorry, heres a deadly computer, it dims the lights the whole town when its switched on. Does anyone remember Eniac?, that was cool. It had this deadly game called "Work out the correct trajectory for high explosive shells to hit Hitler's back garden with", that was class, especially hand crafting each individual punch card...and there was this other deadly game, "Establish decay chains for U235 so we can make Little Boy to drop on Tojo and his friends"....ah them were the days indeed, and where it really beat the ZX, CPC464 and C64 hands down was, u could heat your whole house for a week while the valves warmed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

Best games on both Spectrum and C64 imo (no order):

Head Over Heels
    The great Escape
    Trolly Wally
    Lazy Jones
    The Last Ninja
    Spindizzy
    Mr. Mephisto

Theyre the ones i remember REALLY loving back then....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

forget all those fancy machines, do any of yiz remember the VIC 20
    that was my first puter...I remember having bout ten games on cartridge...no waitin to load there, and every one of them is now considered a classic, and at the time they were well worth the 25 sponz each you'd have to shell out

Oh those were the days smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

God you lot are really reaching at this stage.Don't yee lot realise that this is an issue that will never be resolved...just like the Q1 is better than Q2 discussions(although it is true tongue.gif)

/me posts this pointless message quick as he realises that he hasd not been a part of the record breaking thread smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

hey hey hey Dupre, about this amiga v st thing. Yes I'd agree at the time of course that the ST was a better machine then the amiga for games and all that, but I didn't own an amiga and so I guess my argument for wont hold water. As for the Spectrum and the C64 debate, now come on, the C64 phuking ruled compared to the speccy. First off, the graphics were far superior, the sound and music were totally brilliant in comparison to that Tinny (no pun intended) that came out of the tape player of your sponge board spectrum, and as for games, there was a **** load more games for the C64 then there was for the Spectrum, and come on the Spectrum was invented by Sir Clive who invented $hite like a motor for a bicycles. Come on keep it coming, I can argue the C64 v Spectrum debate till I'm blue in the face, isn't that right SuperDiscoPartyMan ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

hey hey hey Dupre, about this amiga v st thing. Yes I'd agree at the time of course that the ST was a better machine then the amiga for games and all that, but I didn't own an amiga and so I guess my argument for wont hold water. As for the Spectrum and the C64 debate, now come on, the C64 phuking ruled compared to the speccy. First off, the graphics were far superior, the sound and music were totally brilliant in comparison to the Tinny (no pun intended) sounds that came out of the tape player of your sponge board spectrum, and as for games, there was a truck load more games for the C64 then there was for the Spectrum, and come on the Spectrum was invented by Sir Clive who invented tripe like a motor for bicycles. Come on keep it coming, I can argue the C64 v Spectrum debate till I'm blue in the face, isn't that right SuperDiscoPartyMan ??

[This message has been edited by TinCool (edited 14-03-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

oh oh oh!!

did someone say Mercenary ....?

Paul Woakes wrote it for the Atari 800XL. Was converted to the ST and Amiga. That game was the absolute best! Imagine a 3D shooter with dozens of different crafts you could take over, interactive characters, a money system, a plot, laws of physics, etc.

You had a whole planet to explore (with cities, roadways, warring races, etc) and you could even explore an orbiting space station and leave the planet if you built up enough money. It was great fun to hop into a car and drive off the edge of the orbiting space station from 65,000 feet smile.gif

If you bought it you received large fold-out maps of the different cities, and a pretty well written little novella.

I don't know about a PC conversion, but I'd love to get one - I still have the boxed cassette version for the 800XL smile.gif

I wrote to Paul Woakes looking for the source code cos I had an idea for a conversion and the dissasembled code was unusable. He never replied sad.gif I could have been the first John Carmack... sad.gif

p.s. for those who don't know:

Nicky = Beast = Huge_Insect = the best alround quake 1 player in Ireland. If he say's quake 2 is more fun than quake 1 then it must be bloody good - and any Q2'er who can beat him must be bloody class too. Muppets my arsse!

Creeper = reaper = a very very good Q1 player .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

wow VIC 20 !!
    now there was a commodore worth owning at the time smile.gif
    our one came with an extra game as well.. Amok .. it was in color too .. all 4 of them.
    it ruled. you like had to kill all these robots in this maze without getting killed by them, must have inspired all action games i reckon !

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thread dies from unnatural causes, file grows too big and chops itself in half.

I checked this morning and there were only 60 or so posts in the file, had to back it up from yesterday's version and lost some posts in the meantime sad.gif

Now I must close this thread, it's messed up the index.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement