Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting past post screen,with new graphics card

• 07-08-2003 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Need some advice here

I have a Radeon 9700 pro which I can't get working

Have an abit BX6 440bx slot 1 mother board
    256 pc133 ram
    1Gig pentium 3 slot 1 processor

cannot get past the post screen..........get the message

'CPU IS UNWORKABLE OR HAS BEEN CHANGED, PLEASE RECHECK-CPU SOFT MENU'

I can get this pc working fine with a geforce 2 card.

The radeon 9700pro works on another system so I don't think it is at fault

I think it may be the FSB or the voltage that is the problerm
    I tried the fsb at 66 and the agp/fsb splitter at 1:1.
    tried stepping the voltage from 1.30 to 190.
    not sure which is best higher or lower voltage.
    none work !

I upgraded to 300W Power Supply but this makes no difference.

the only other thing I can think of is that the abit is a 2xAGP board while the card is a 8xAGP.

Is the post screen/BIOS displayed by the graphics card or the cpu ?

Can anyone give advice or point me in the right direction ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

I would sugges that you see if you are running the latest BIOS available for your motherboard. Hopefully there is a newer one available that would solve your problem.

Running an 8X AGP card at 2X shouldn't cause a problem, although you won't see the full performance benefit of the card.

Regards

XDA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

as xda said try the latest bios update, but before you do that one question, have you tried reseting the bios? i.e. go into the bios menu and "restore defaults", failing that if you can't get into the bios, remove the bios battery (machine off of course) leave it for a couple of seconds, replace the battery and reboot, should reset the bios and all the info on the bios, might fix the prob you're having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Isint there a voltage difference between the speeds? ie 1.5v/.8v.
    I know this shouldnt be the problem as have heard a few people running 8x cards @ 4x with no problems at all. Is there any difference for 2x ?? Am grasping a bit .......:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MÓC

Had some strange kind of luck with this, managed to get it to boot into windows, however cpu is only running at 462 Mhz

fsb at 66
    multiplier of 7
    voltage at 1.7

Strangely enough this seems to be the only combination I can get working.

Its not exactly ideal having to underclock an already below average cpu, but I can't see what the problem is ?

The bios is nearly the most up to date one ( next but one ), couldn't get it flashed to the most up to date version but the improvements on it ( according to the abit website ) are minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

Might be time for a new PC.

The voltage will not only be wrong but the new card is 8x which will not be compatable with ur AGP slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

FSB at 66Mhz, erm thats strangely like what my AGP Lock is -> 66Mhz. Did you check your divider ?? Ie FSB : AGP??

Looks alot like that is the problem...... post your bios info?

Advertisement