Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puff the magic dragon

Options
  • 07-08-2003 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

So anyway I was at my computer this morning when I heard a pop/bang :eek: and seeing as the side panel was off I could straight away see smoke coming out of the case. I pulled the plug, but upon inspection I couldnt determine where the smoke had come from. So I fired her up again after unplugging the cd drives and hdd to see if anything was going to happen, I only had it on for probably 20 seconds and the fans etc came on and there was no sign of smoke. There was no activitity on the monitor but usually I have to reset a few times due to the gfx not being detected anyway. Anyways, do ye thing the motherboard is ****ed?
    I had no time this morning to do any further inspections.
    Any help greatly appreciated :D

Asus A7N8x Deluxe
    XP 2500+ @ 2300mhz (11.5x200 vcore 1.85)
    Temp was idling at 38 using slk900u and a 92mm fan
    512mb corsair XMS 3200
    120gig Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 8 MB cache
    GF4 Ti4200 128mb
    chieftec 360watt psu (came with dragon midi-tower)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Do you have a watercooling setup?

Look for burn marks on your gfx card, mobo (especially around the power regulators/capacitors near the I/O panel) check your PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

if it was a pop and smoke probably one of the capaciters blew if so get it repaird

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Out of interest, who repairs motherboards?
    I laid an Abit KG7 to rest a while back when it stopped playing with my gfx card. I enquired in PC world and was told they can't be repaired because of the multiple layers of integrated circuits.
    Maybe mine could not be repaired but in future I would like to be told this by someone a had a bit more faith in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

Have u had a chance to check everything throught yet ?

Did u find out what the prob was ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

happened to me, was power supply... but doesn't seem to be the case here... check the parts indivdually in another old computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The symptoms sound like you busted a cap ... these can be very hard to spot ... look for a hole on the top (rare), look for a out of shape capacitor (bulge, not the same shape as other caps with the same spec from the same manufacturer) ... you may not see a physical difference at all

Advertisement