Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spam Software

Options
  • 07-08-2003 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a peice of software that will download the mail from one of my pop accounts then filter the spam and then upload the good email back to the server. The reason i want this is because i'm not always on the same computer and most of the spam software that i've seen only works with OE ect.

What do you think about setting up a very small mail server and getting serverside spam filtering on my computer at home and calling in there to get the mail.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Can't you set up Outlook filters to forward to another account? If this is the case, you could probably tie this in with a filtering app. I can't recommend any though, unfortunately.

If you have an always-on connection and a spare rig though, the mail server is definitely the way to go. I have my mail filtering through SpamAssassin on my primary (remote) mail server and storing the junk there. Everything not tagged as spam gets pushed to my local mail server, where I filter different types of mail into different folders. Then I have IMAP connections to both machines.

Setting up a local mail server is a piece of pee, just bung Red Hat on it, tweak the sendmail config slightly, add the imap package, enable it in xinetd and you're done. If you need filtering, stick a procmailrc file in yor home directory, and install SpamAssassin if you want to filter the spam locally. Add a static IP address for flavour (and SMTP) and you're done.

adam

Advertisement