Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Techie / programming position available

• 07-08-2003 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for someone with a techincal aptitude who is also able to program.

(I've 'advertised' this job 3 times already today and I'm really struggling to define it)

The job is for someone to do hardware installations, software (linux/2000/oracle) networking (some cisco work) and any other general duties as they present themselves. there will also be oracle development and some web development involved as well. this will be a varied and (I think) interesting job where you will have many oppurtunites for learning, but will also be expected to work hard at learning themselves too.

The job would be in Mitchelstown Co. Cork

Salary will be negotiated between you and the boss.

If you're interested send your cv to the mail address in my profile.

Kind regards,
    John Lanigan
    Core Computer Consultants Ltd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

bump

(I had thought there would have been more interest in this)

hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

i presume this is a full-time job?

Yup,

Wanna send a CV

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

I'm originally from Mitchelstown (living in Limerick now though), where exactly in the town are you based?

The job sounds good but I think the lack of intrest may be due to the location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by padraigmyers
    I'd say so. If I lived in Cork, I would have fired off my CV as soon as I saw the ad :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

The location is fine, but I'm going back to college in October so I can't start a full-time job. I'll mention it to some friends though

Originally posted by padraigmyers
    I'm originally from Mitchelstown (living in Limerick now though), where exactly in the town are you based?

Next door to Larry O'Keefe.

where the cinema used be. It was levelled about two years ago and we built our new office here.

Yeah location is probably an issue.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

OK, I know exactly were you mean. Just a few questions.....
    How many people are woking there?
    Is it mostly sales or tech prople working in Mitchelstown?
    Is there any opertunity of moving to the Cork office down the line?
    How many years experience had you in mnid for the job?
    What sort of salery range have you in mind?
    Is is a mostly software or hardware role?

In Mitchelstown we both develop and sell our own software. our software is pretty seperate from the Cork office. so we do the whole lot, from start to finish

There may be, given that we work on entirely different systems though it would be almost like applying to a different company. but hey anythings possible.

We're aiming this mostly as a graduate to a few years experience requirment. and salaries would reflect this (being perfectly honest, I am not involved in the salary decisions and am not aware of what the boss has in mind)

It will be a mix of both. there will be oracle development, sys admin stuff, installations etc.

It's a very varied job where one day you could be on site installing one of our systems, and the next day fixing the laser printer. I like it. I've been doing it on and off (was in college) for over four years now and currently have one guy working for me and we need another.

Any further questions feel free to contact me here, or by the email address in my profile.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by JohnBoy

In Mitchelstown we both develop and sell our own software. our software is pretty seperate from the Cork office. so we do the whole lot, from start to finish

There may be, given that we work on entirely different systems though it would be almost like applying to a different company. but hey anythings possible.

We're aiming this mostly as a graduate to a few years experience requirment. and salaries would reflect this (being perfectly honest, I am not involved in the salary decisions and am not aware of what the boss has in mind)

It will be a mix of both. there will be oracle development, sys admin stuff, installations etc.

It's a very varied job where one day you could be on site installing one of our systems, and the next day fixing the laser printer. I like it. I've been doing it on and off (was in college) for over four years now and currently have one guy working for me and we need another.

Any further questions feel free to contact me here, or by the email address in my profile.

John

You could get in touch with the Careers people in UCC and let them advertise the job to their graduates, with the amount of grads looking for work you should have no problem finding the right guy for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

to be honest, you dont want a grad.
    you want someone who has spent that last 3 years working in a small business as the it guy.
    someone who has hobbled together the servers, stuck together the exchange server with glue, used rubber bands to keep the sql server working, written the web site, and fixes the pcs when they are broken.

to be honest, i know a pile of people who fit the description, but none of them are in ireland :)

why do you want these people?
    because they know how a small business runs, they know theres never any money for equipment, and they are obviously good at picking up new skills, and can turn their hand at something completely new (i mean seriously, how many people do programming and desktop support and networking? and i mean to decent degree of competance? not many)

why dont you want a grad?
    becuase they will be able to do one, maybe two things for you, not everything.
    they will look for an unreasonable amount of money :)
    people with degrees are a pain in the ass :)

oh, better to get a local too, less hcanceof leaving.

by the way, not having a a go at grads, but experience is what counts, and if you have a grad with the experience to go with the poition you want, they will want a lot of cash methinks....

Raskolnikov: I've put up an ad on gradireland.com which is a shared service of all the uni careeers offices.

WWM: Hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I want, and exactly what I am. with one caveat. I'm only twelve months out of college. OK I'm probably an exception as I had three years of this done here before I graduated (didn't like college much, took my time, failed lots)

but there are grads out there who've done just that.

I'm not limiting myself to graduates either, just that I expect the money that's on offer isn't going to be huge, and graduates tend not to have kids and mortgages. There's potential for a decent salary down the line, but not starting out, especially since we're all still only starting to see recovery in this sector. starting
    (i mean seriously, how many people do programming and desktop support and networking?

Me :) and project management, and system design, and....
    and i mean to decent degree of competance?

Me :)

I have a degree and I'm not a pain in the ass (well I don't think I am, but I can't speak for others)

:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Originally posted by JohnBoy

I have a degree and I'm not a pain in the ass (well I don't think I am, but I can't speak for others)

:)

Agh now John, come on :) I remember those nights wandering around Plassey with the yoghurts before exams!

By the way, I was talking to Stephen, he's just decided to get married!

Serously.

To becky right?

wow. I suppose they are going out for years now

anyway, back on topic

All cv's to be sent to the address in my profile :)

buidling up a stockpile, just realised this morning that I'm gonna have to send out PFOs

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    to be honest, you dont want a grad.
    you want someone who has spent that last 3 years working in a small business as the it guy.

You're right, to an extent. Most grads are useless, but there are always a bunch like JohnBoy who have worked in the industry before and at least have some skill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

sure, i agree totally, but what i said was a sweeping generalisation, and not meant to be taken in total seriousness :)

i mean grads have their plus points too :)
    just, at the same age, id want someone who has the knowledge over the piece of paper.

and johnboy, with regards to being able to do everything in the IT department, i think you are the type of person i am talking about. you wont find many people who can do everything, hence you want someone who has worked in a small company who has exposure to everything.

anyway, i hope you can find someone who wants to live in cork :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Yes, Becky. There're planning it for June 2005 in a small church they saw in Greece last year.

Advertisement