Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland squad

• 07-08-2003 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Argh thread about irish football !!!!!

Republic of Ireland squad to face Australia at Lansdowne Road on Tuesday, August 19
    Given (Newcastle), Colgan (Hibernian), Murphy (West Brom), O'Shea (Manchester United), Carr (Tottenham), Cunningham (Birmingham), Breen (Sunderland), O'Brien (Newcastle), Harte (Leeds), Dunne (Manchester City), Finnan (Liverpool), Carsley (Everton), Healy (Unattached), Holland (Charlton), Kinsella (Aston Villa), Kilbane (Sunderland), Reid (Blackburn), Quinn (SheffieldWednesday), Duff (Chelsea), Doherty (Tottenham), Keane (Tottenham), Morrison (Birmingham), Connolly (West Ham).

4 players in CL
    2 in Uefa
    10 in Prem
    Rest in Div 1 or about to be Div 1.

Imo we need to have as many as possible in CL and that will make us a lot better.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

good squad but im worried about our second choice keepers.I dont know alot about murphy and Nick colagans only starting to get inthe squad and hes 30.What im realy upset about is kilbane keeps getting a place on the left side and Kerr wont give richie partridge(of liverpool on loan to coventry) a chance even though hes a much better player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Colgan is ok but think Hibs want rid of him earns too much.
    Murphy is one for the future and seemingly is a very good keeper.
    There is a couple of Irish keepers in Div 1 and lower that will come through soon enough.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Good squad.

Kilbane just about deserves his place I think (certainly over partridge at present).

Kerr has done the right thing in focusing on the upcoming qualifiers rather than blooding new caps.

Barry Roche from Forest is a good keeper on the way thru...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Paddy Kenny at Sheffield United was getting a bit of hype at the tailend of the last season. He is supposed to be an excellent goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Murphy is an excellent keeper.

Glad to see Morrisson back in the squad it will be nice to have 2 good proper strikers in the team (no offence to Connolly).

So the V V 1

______________________Given__________________________

Carr____________Cunningham___O'Shea_____________Finnan

Reid_______________Healy______Holland______________Duff

___________________Keane__Morrisson__________________

• Advertisement

i no a lot of people will disagree with me but i think morrison is a poor striker.But then again who else do we have (other than keane)

kilbane might not have be in the starting line up much longer with mark kennedy returning to the premier league(and i doubt kerr will use him on the right like mcCathy did)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Colgan moved from HIB's to Stockport this morning. another good move methinks. Kilbane is a stocking. he has gotta go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I know Kilbane is ****e in a sunderland jersey, but when he's donning the green(or white) shirt,I think he puts in a decent enough preformance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

hes making all the right decisions so far in my opnion, and i think once this campaign is over, he will start experimenting with younger players...its the best squad we can field in terms of experinece and quality....no point changing for friendlies in bewteen qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭deadduck

agree with tellox, kilbane isn't bad for ireland, had his best game in the last match, made loads of runs forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by VinnyL
    Colgan moved from HIB's to Stockport this morning. another good move methinks.

How???

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Originally posted by KdjaC
    How???

kdjac

Well at least he'll get first team football at Stockport. Hes been told that he will defo not be first choice at Hibs this year as they want to get rid of him due to his high wages.

Also, in fairness to Murphy, he shouldnt really be in the aquad when Paddy Kenny (first choice keeper at an excellent Sheff Utd team) is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Pretty Strong Squad, I'd like to see the following team play against Australia.

Goals: Given
    RFBack: S. Carr
    LFBack: S. Finnan
    CBack: K. Cunningham
    CBack: G. Breen
    LMid: D. Duff
    RMid: S. Reid
    C. Mid: C. Healy
    C. Mid: J. OShea?
    Striker: R. Keane
    Striker: C. Morrison?

I know it might not work out but I still think O'Shea has what it takes to play center field. He couldn't be much worse than 'Drifter Holland'.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bort

Originally posted by mbroaders
    Paddy Kenny at Sheffield United was getting a bit of hype at the tailend of the last season. He is supposed to be an excellent goalkeeper.

ye took the words right out of me mouth!:)
    but is he definately Irish?
    i heard that he was to be called up before but for some reason he couldnt go.
    Anyone have any more info?

My two cent (note it's singular for european currency).

From the current squad.

Given - GK
    Carr - DR
    O'Shea - DC
    Cunningham (O'Brien) - DC
    Finnan - DL
    Reid - MR
    Carsley - MC
    Holland/Kinsella - MC
    Duff - ML
    Keane - FC
    Morrison - FC

An all Premiership team.. how long is it since we've been able to field one of those?

Originally posted by bort
    ye took the words right out of me mouth!:)
    but is he definately Irish?
    i heard that he was to be called up before but for some reason he couldnt go.
    Anyone have any more info?

As far as I know hes defo Irish. He decalred for Ireland, but as yet, hasnt been called up to the senior squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Originally posted by sykeirl
    My two cent (note it's singular for european currency).

From the current squad.

Given - GK
    Carr - DR
    O'Shea - DC
    Cunningham (O'Brien) - DC
    Finnan - DL
    Reid - MR
    Carsley - MC
    Holland/Kinsella - MC
    Duff - ML
    Keane - FC
    Morrison - FC

An all Premiership team.. how long is it since we've been able to field one of those?

I was just about to post up the very same team. IMO that's the best we can put out. Maybe even start O'Brien to see how he copes.b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

no Alan Lee??? :confused:

Originally posted by UbahOne
    no Alan Lee??? :confused:

Apparently both Norwich and Cardiff are both looking to sign him for around one million.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/story.asp?newsid=6818

• Advertisement

What a great step........sideways!

Originally posted by sykeirl
    What a great step........sideways!

Not at all. Lee is being paid buttons (for a footballer), a move to a relatively big first division club like Norwich might double his wages. So I'd say he would think of it as a definite step up!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Cardiff would be a much better move for Lee than Norwich. I reckon Cardiff will be promoted if not this season then next season. I think Lee would have a great partnership with Earnshaw if he went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Argh thread about irish football !!!!!

4 players in CL
    2 in Uefa
    10 in Prem
    Rest in Div 1 or about to be Div 1.

kdjac

I reckon we have 16 in the Premiership.
    Given
    Cunningham
    Carr
    O Shea
    O Brien
    Harte
    Finnan
    Dunne
    Holland
    Reid
    Kinsella
    Duff
    Carsley
    Keane
    Morrison
    Doherty

Thats a healthy amount. Out of those 16 you could only say that Doherty will not get many games this season. The rest I can see playing in over 15 - 20 games
    Delap is not there either and he should play most games for Southampthon this season.

Advertisement