Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Question / Gfx Card Question

Options
  • 07-08-2003 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

What would be better performance wise on WinXP (for games, general apps etc), 1GB pc 2100 Ram (1 X 512mb, 2 X 256mb) or 512mb pc 2700 (2 X 256mb) dual ddr.

As an aside, is there any point overclocking a Radeon 9800 with stock cooling? In real world performance, would you see a marked improvement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ok.....
    Ram performance is alot to do with FSB settings. If you have your FSB @ 133Mhz (266Mhz) you will see little if any performance increase between using Pc2100 (266Mhz) and Pc2700 (333Mhz).

As for Dual DDR vs Single DDR the performance increase is around 2-5% , again depending on your settings.

Having extra Ram is only benificial when you go over a certain ammount. Ie....
    If you have 512Mb and your system never uses above that, then 1gb would be a waste.
    If you are multitasking alot & your system is running out of Ram then a greater ammount is very benificial and the performance increase is substancial.

You really should post your processor & motherboard for more insight.

If your going to start overclocking, would advise getting atleast Pc3200 or Pc3500 and up your FSB to match your memory - nice performance increase over Pc2100 i can tell ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

P4 2.8/533

Its just that Im wondering, since I have the 512mb card just lying around, would it be better to change and go for quantity over speed. And would the speed drop be even noticable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

To be honest im mainly into AMD and i know they take practically no advantage of having faster RAM and lower FSB.
    Would be worth getting the opinion of some of the intel chappies around here :) .

If you would be thinking of overclocking a bit then Pc2700 would be the way to go as it gives you a potential overclock of 3.5ghz without having to worry about your Memory.

Wheather Intels Quad pumped FSB will be able to take advantage of higher speed memory than it requires......... doubt it is worth dumping your 512Mb Pc2100 unless your overclocking - IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

I'll stick with it. Im not overclocking as this is a Dell PC.

Anyway, thanks for the help

Advertisement