Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENUM 'ere we go then

Options
  • 07-08-2003 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

ENUM a form of Numeric DNS (to be precise) is on the way according to Comreg Here . They don't trust Eircom or the IEDR to run it either so they have decided to run the DNS type servers themselves it seems.

One Interesting bit is that a lookup on your telephone numder (like a directory) can return alternative ways of contacting you such as VoIP.

I like it :D

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

That is very interesting. I had been hoping for this to happen for quite some time -- enabling VoIP in Ireland for the first time.

Imagine getting rid of your Eircom line, but keeping your number. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Muck
    . They don't trust Eircom or the IEDR to run it either so they have decided to run the DNS type servers themselves it seems.

From a v quick skim through the document, I don't think they propose to run the servers themselves-reather they propose to delegate the technical operation of it to some third part. Maybe the crowd who run Inex would be a good candidate. I doubt the ODTR have the technical expertise to run such a service themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Muck
    They don't trust Eircom or the IEDR to run it
    Would you? The IEDR can't run to the shops without falling over. ;)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Just had a good skim through it, looks good. The point made by somone that broadband subscribers should be asked to participate in forthcoming tests was most intresting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Don't Comreg run the central servers for the FMNP details of mobile customers? If so I imagine they're able for this..

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9371055.html
    Also in the paper, the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) is supporting the industry in a trial of electric numbering, as featured on ElectricNews.net.
    LOL

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

John Naughton has a piece on VoIP in today's Observer. It's more of an introductory article with history attached as many of his articles are. It's the closing piece mentioning the UK's Oftel that caught my eye
    Needless to say, the telcos are not amused. Neither are their Western brethren. How can they protect themselves against such subversive technology? Actually, they may not have to agonise too much - their regulators will take care of it for them. In the UK, for example, the 1984 Telecommunications Act defines what a 'telecommunication system' is in very broad terms: 'a system for the conveyance, through the agency of electric, magnetic, electro-magnetic _ of speech, music and other sounds; visual images, signals serving for the impartation _ of any matter otherwise than in the form of sounds or visual image'. In its section on VoIP, Oftel states smugly that 'the provision of VoIP is caught by this definition'.

The key issue for Oftel seems to be whether VoIP is offered as a substitute for PSTN or merely as an adjunct to it. If the former, it will be regulated as onerously as traditional telephony. If the latter, it will be ignored. Put another way, we will only allow it if it doesn't matter.
    Could we actually be taking steps that are not only /not/ two years behind the UK but actually /ahead/ of them? Of course, if this gets delayed a few years it's a moot point.

Advertisement