Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disappointing Endings

Options
  • 07-08-2003 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

There are so many games where the endings are such an anti-climax that its annoying, i mean you would think the developers would really want the ending to be worthwhile and be remembered.
    I just cleared MOHAA and it got me thinking about all the other games with crap endings here is the few i thought of,if you have any more please add:-

MOHAA
    Crusader 1+2
    SoF 1+2
    and to a lesser extent RTCW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

For such a great game "Baldurs Gate - Dark Alliance" had a very annoying end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Zone of the Enders cut it a bit short IMO.

I really wanna play the second runner, But I cant see it coming out for another 2 months (was meant to be out in early spring of this year...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

quake1 - one of the all time classics:rolleyes:
    you don't even get a better one when you finish it on nightmare.
    MOHAA
    SoF 2
    and to a lesser extent RTCW
    lol, i can't even remember how any of those ended, they must've been crap.

Both Zeldas on the Nintendo 64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

To be continued?!?! What a crappy end to a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i guess i'm lucky that the damn thing crashed to the desktop every 10 minutes then.:rolleyes:
    i got as far as the ash village & then just gave up

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Zelda Wind Waker.... I finished Ocarina this week, and the end of that was much better.

- Dave.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All of IDs games get my vote for worst game endings ever.

Also of note:

Max Payne (just didn't care)
    SOF 1+2
    RTCW
    Unreal 2
    Basically any recent PC FPS game
    All MOH games

Can't think of too many console games. I'll be back if I think of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Both Zeldas on the Nintendo 64
    Come on...
    The ending of the first one (Ocarina) is fantastic.
    A 10 minute beautifully rendered cut scene that is a joy to behold.
    I taped the ending on my video it was so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ocarina had a superb ending ,WW wasnt that good.

But i cant think of any decent endings in games.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Heres some Kdjac.
    Great game endings:

FFX
    FFVII
    FFVI
    Grandia
    Xenogears
    Suikoden 1+2
    MGS
    Solid Snake: Metal Gear 2
    Snatcher
    Resident Evil 2, 3 and Zero
    Half-life
    Front Mission 3

I'm sure theres more but thats all I can think of.

All PC games seem to have had absolutely dire endings and stories for the last 2 or 3 years. There just isn't enough space on CD to fit in a good story with good cutscenes and a huge game. PC games really need to move to DVD. Anyone with a computer good enough to play all the latest games is bound to have a DVD Rom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I dont care much for stories as such i prefer to play the game but when you complete a game you should be rewarded Goldeneye style.

Then when you get your reward you feel you have earned it.

That or like SF2 just have your own name come up at the end is always nice :D

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

bad endings........
    twisted metal black-damn censorship
    tomb raider
    dead or alive 1 and 2
    cant really think of more that weren't mentioned

as far as good endings go the command and conquer games are some of the best, and planescape torment's was brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

Mafia for me had the most memorable ending. Really brought the whole mood of the game to a very appropriate end. superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Retr0gamer

All PC games seem to have had absolutely dire endings and stories for the last 2 or 3 years. There just isn't enough space on CD to fit in a good story with good cutscenes and a huge game. PC games really need to move to DVD. Anyone with a computer good enough to play all the latest games is bound to have a DVD Rom.

So you have gone from "all PC FPS" to "All PC Games" have dire endings... you seem pretty determined so I doubt that view can be changed. :rolleyes:

As already mentioned, Mafia had a good ending. Both Homeworld games had simplistic yet stylish endings. Im sure there are more good ones, but I can easily count the ones that had bad endings as they tended to be pretty bad games (Unreal, SOF's, Elite Force's).

I dont think disc capacity has anything to do with how good an ending is. They could always throw in a another CD with a movie ending on it if need be, or simply use Bink or DIVX to compress the end movie and fit it to the existing CDs. Id love to see PC DVD games to, but for simplicities sake more than anything.

Havent got back into it and finished it, but the very last part of Eternal Darkness really dropped the ball vs the rest of the game.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Anyone with a computer good enough to play all the latest games is bound to have a DVD Rom.
    Im afraid i don't. Does this make me a bad person that i like to watch DVD's on my TV? :)
    far as good endings go the command and conquer games are some of the best
    The storylines in C&C were great as well as the endings. They were simple but they all made sense one after the other. I used to play for hours just so i could see what my next mission would be. Cutscenes were great too really brought you into the game.

Thats gone now in generals (Westwood went the way of the Aztecs) as EA are in charge.
    S
    o imo worst endings would have to inlclude C&C Generals. Not that it had much of a story, more a seriou of missions.

Maybe I should have said All PC FPS again games. Sorry Matt. But still the games you mentioned are pretty old with the exception of mafia. However you can't say that the tacked on cutscenes of dross like SOF2 and Unreal 2 were rivetting. And whoever decided on unskippable cutscenes in Unreal 2 should be shot. It's memory intensive gmes like these that have really suffered story wise. Lets hope HL2 will sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Naar

System Shock 2. That "Naaah..." wasn't much of a reward after such a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

metroid prime has either the best or worst ending in any game. i cant decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Originally posted by MrPinK

To be continued?!?! What a crappy end to a great game.
    I thought it was a great ending... particularly if you count the story of the next game as part of the ending :)

But then im a big fan of the Legacy of Kain games overall.

Disappointing ending to a game... I would say Deus Ex. Great game, which, IMO only emphasised the weak ending.

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Asuka
    I thought it was a great ending... particularly if you count the story of the next game as part of the ending :)

Disappointing ending to a game... I would say Deus Ex. Great game, which, IMO only emphasised the weak ending.

A

Pfff, Deus Ex? They give you far more freedom than the norm to develop your character to your liking throughout and then on top of that give you three different endings... and you still arent happy! :p

Matt

Yes, and i found none of the endings particularly satisfying. They were short, uninspired, and they did exactly what it said on the tin. I was expecting something a little more ambitious, considering the game attached...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

That would be my feelings on Deus ex too asuka, .. for a game that was so open, that gave you goals/objectives and let it up to you how to achieve them the 3 strand ending just wasn't apt. It wasn't terribly bad either, just not great (especially when none of them revealed anything cool or new, just text).

I don't particularly mind if the ending to a game has been ****e if the journey getting there was alot of fun - thats the game. Still a game is undeniably better if it has a good ending - just not sure how much better - I wouldn't look back on halflife, mgs2, ocarina or deus ex and say they were affected in any big way because the endings didn't feel right.

So lets take a little change of perspective on the topic and ask how important a good ending is, and what makes most good endings "good"? (especially since what some people have decided is a good ending is a crap ending for others).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

the ending for the original GTA didn't really have much of an ending either. Just a small little thing at the end of each city(unless i missed something). I can't actually remember what the endngs to MoHAA and Max Payne were though. But i thought Half Life definetly had a pretty good ending imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The ending to MOHAA pretty much sucked balls through a straw.
    And the alien part of HL would've been better left for a sequel when there was an engine that could do organic settings more convincingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

For me it has to be Splinter Cell.

Great game though, I thorally enjoyed it, but a bit short.

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

the endings to the original c&c were excellent, there were 5 or 6 alternate endings depending on what u did (used ion cannon on temple, killed with tanks,, destroy paris london berlin or rome :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Asuka

If you didn't play the next game tho, it's just really annoying to have the story left at that :)

Well i think the idea was to try and get you to buy the next game, tbh... :)

And if you like the story of the first one, its well worth it. Its not groundbreaking in terms of gameplay, but its fun, and the story is fantastic. Another thing that really made an impact on me was the good voice acting - in a western game! :)

A

• Advertisement

I heard the developers of soul reaver either made the game too big or maybe it was that they didn't have enough time to finish the game. Well it was one of those reasons that they had to cut the game in half.

Advertisement