Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help for a wifi newbie

• 07-08-2003 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

i need some help for a large (150+) station wifi network

i am new to all this but so far what i have some up with is this

150 machines spred across 4 floors
    4 sonicwall tzw's with mirconet pci cards in each machine

am i heading the right ways or are ye all laughing.....
    please tell me coz i dont wanna get this rap wrong

oh yeah the micronet cards are 11mbps and our supplier dont have 54g pci....cant they be fireware upgd or do i have to buy totally new cards...is it the same for the tzw?

cheers and cheese

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

11mbps and 54mbps cards use different chips and hardware so no, a firmware upgrade won't change the speed of your network.

Should be plenty of others here to answer your network structure query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭sinus

so i feared!!

awh crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

11mbit throughput turns into about 5.5 in reality due to overhead. So you've got 4*5.5 which is 22mbit throughput, between 150 machines.

That is going to do everybody's nut.

If there isn't a compelling reason not to put in a wired network, then doing that would likely make everyone much happier. You could then add those 4 wireless AP's to the wired network for users with laptops,

Greg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

If they are desktop machines put in a wired network.

Much Cheaper (10x).
    Much Faster (in your case, with 150 machines and four 11mbit access points a wired network a wired network will be 100X faster).
    Much more secure.
    Much more reliable.

put in a wireless access point aswell for the occasional person with a laptop who needs to move around the building.

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

why use the sonicwall tzw? are you specifically looking to do vpn between your wireless clients and the AP on the TZW? Its a very expensive solution to use 4 tzw's when you could just get more AP's and use mac filtering with WEP and save yourself a mammoth amount of time having to install the sonicwall glbal VPN client on each PC...

the other thing about the tzw is its only 11mb, there are better solutions for cheaper...spend the spare money and get a 2040 sonicwall or something...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭bazooka

oops, just saw the date on this thread...i am presuming its closed...sorry!

Advertisement