Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mates pc problem

• 07-08-2003 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine is having a problem with his pc. The board he is using is the asus a7n266. When powering up makes a continuous beeping noise(beeb, beeb, and so on) for about 6 minutes. He says that he has checked the manufacturers website but it doesn't say anything about this problem. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

something failing at the POST (power on self test) (i think that what it means) after six minutes what happens does the beeping stop? does he get into windows? does the pc shut down?

kinda need a bit more info to figure it out.

for all we know it could be "unkown caused a unknown fault in unkown!" (that's a joke btw ):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

these are post codes. These happen if Your IDE Controllers are set up wrong, your graphics card is not in properly/faulty or if your ram is faulty or not in correctly, my advice take every component out put back in and use the reset bios jumper. All should work then. If not check each component and if that doesn't work then its the board

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    for all we know it could be "unkown caused a unknown fault in unkown!" (that's a joke btw ):D

Thats like what windows would report :D

i acutally got that error once i had taken a screeny of it but it's on some disc somewhere gotta go and dig it out well funny it was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

after the beeping it goes into windows

• Advertisement

Really? wierd 6 minutes of beeping then goes into windows.....Could still be faulty component that has trouble starting

whats windows like when he gets there? normal or is it unstable?

maybe a fresh install would help

also what windows is it 98/2000/xp ?

Wait a minute......are you hearing these beeps from within the WIndows start up or in the bios?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i.d check the ram ,,take out memstick 1 by1 and reboot each time but always make sure to leave memory simm in slot 0 zero and be careful re static electricity and take out all power plugs when working on motherboard ,,download tufftest lite ,,hardware diagnostic ,,its a free prog make a bootdisk works on all os,s to test hardware motherboard.some pcs need identical mem simms to work at full speed.go to bios switch off qiuck boot mode .u cus also download free sisandra ,it gives full system test overview ..some features disabled in free version but it has a very useful PERFORMANCE TEST mode gives detailed test and advice re ur windows setup and pc configuration recommendations to make it run properly down to bios settings etc.sounds like hardware problem or bios misconfiguration cos beeping stops when windows loads.also look in device manager for any red or yellow alert boxs,,warnings

Advertisement