Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relationships

Options
  • 07-08-2003 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Right, seeing as i can'y delete this i'll have to make this the opening post. what are your views on relationships?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Damn you and your 'functional relationship'-we're teenage genii, we're not supposed to have functional relationships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Go us, like.

Tbh, If it doesn't work It's cause something is going wrong, not because you can't make friends. Like hitting people 'cause they're ugly. It's stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'm gonna split this off cus i think this is a valid seperate thread tbh. though i will delete the stuff thats personal between you two (OR SHOULD BE!!)

and Scarlett, i disagree with you there, i've been with my girlfriend for altogether bout 7 or so months (you might've met her, aoifes sister) so i honestly believe that you can very easily have fully functioning relationships at any age, its more to do with your ability to be mature about it etc.

I'll have to agree with you there. For instance, my aunt reached her 50th birthday last month. She met her husband when she was 15. That's a 35 year relationship. I think that's proof that it's not due to age, it's due to people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Its love, simply love.

Age (as in the age you are in earth years) has nothing to do with it, the mental maturity of the person your dating and your mutal attraction for one another is what starts a relationship. I personally had my first long term relationship from the age of 14 to 17. It was a very grown up relationship, we cared for each other and all that, we talked about everything etc, but in the end it was out of habit that we stayed together so long. There was no romantic love, no adoration and wonder.
    The promiscuity (ignore my spelling) which is so popular these days is rather unhealthy and shouldn't be indugled in, because it teachs you nothing od comittiment, understanding or love. The idea of it is great I must admit, but in practice it is rather unfufilling.
    A relationship requires love to develop, so you need to give someone a chance, see if you love them. Its worth it I tell you (I sound so much like an old hack, *looks off in to the distance* "I remember....." etc). Don't just break up because of one arguement, one miss under-standing or they annoied on one day. Tell them your hurt or that your angry, commuincate. (god, I should be a marrige counciler). And if it doesn't pan out, at least you may have learnt something.
    As you can guess I'm currently in a relationship and love with the most fantastic woman in the whole world, it accounts for my positive upbeat attitude on this topic.

• Advertisement

I haven't really had much experience in the 'relationships' field, but I think that I'm far too paranoid and neurotic to make a relationship work. I get upset over really small things, and take other things the wrong way.
    And I hate the whole teenage thing of having relationships that last two days that are initiated just because you think that the other person is good-looking. It's ridiculous. You know that it's not going to work.

Originally posted by Havelock
    Its love, simply love.

Age (as in the age you are in earth years) has nothing to do with it, the mental maturity of the person your dating and your mutal attraction for one another is what starts a relationship. I personally had my first long term relationship from the age of 14 to 17. It was a very grown up relationship, we cared for each other and all that, we talked about everything etc, but in the end it was out of habit that we stayed together so long. There was no romantic love, no adoration and wonder.
    The promiscuity (ignore my spelling) which is so popular these days is rather unhealthy and shouldn't be indugled in, because it teachs you nothing od comittiment, understanding or love. The idea of it is great I must admit, but in practice it is rather unfufilling.
    A relationship requires love to develop, so you need to give someone a chance, see if you love them. Its worth it I tell you (I sound so much like an old hack, *looks off in to the distance* "I remember....." etc). Don't just break up because of one arguement, one miss under-standing or they annoied on one day. Tell them your hurt or that your angry, commuincate. (god, I should be a marrige counciler). And if it doesn't pan out, at least you may have learnt something.
    word, brother.

Granted, the longest i've been in a relationship was a month, but still, your ideas are well founded. Alex for president, like!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Originally posted by crash_000
    i honestly believe that you can very easily have fully functioning relationships at any age, its more to do with your ability to be mature about it etc. [/B]

But why would you want to be mature?
    Relationships are great but people often aren't. That's the problem. My longest relationship ever was 2 months and to be honest i don't have a great track record but people all over the place seem to be blissfuly happy in their long term relationships so there must be some good there.
    The worst are people who are all "grrr anti-relationships and comitment" for fear of getting hurt cos you're actually a hell of a lot more likely to get hurt that way. I know where of i speak.
    But anyway I have a new boy at the moment and even though three weeks doesn't count as terribly stable i have good feelings about this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I'm a hopeless romantic myself, but here's the horrible thing, I'm moreso as regards other people. I can fall madly for someone and once they express the slightest interest in another they're out of bounds and I'll do my damnedest to help them get that person. <sigh>

Ah... now that's a (albeit short) rant that I needed to get out of my system...

And here's a quick off topic question... should the "a" in "a (albeit short)" have been an "an" because of the following word beginning with a vowel or did the bracket, as I assumed such separating punctuation should, negate that rule of grammar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

jaysus... if you think your track record is bad... i have commtiment issues and thus my longest ''relationship'' for poor use of the term was a massive ten days. he was also my first boyfriend and i hate him.. *shudder* and i haven't seen him in about two years

so beat that!!!

• Advertisement

An. Definitely. And I got an A in my JC English exam, so back the fook up, brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭:D mags :D

jaysus... if you think your track record is bad... i have commtiment issues and thus my longest ''relationship'' for poor use of the term was a massive ten days. he was also my first boyfriend and i hate him.. *shudder* and i haven't seen him in about two years

Me too! Except he lives down the road from me so it's hard for me not to see him. And it might have been 11 days, or maybe even 12. I don't really have commitment issues though, I just get bored very very easily. I was practically in love with the guy before it, and then we started going out and it was like........meh................

8 days. Such a long time, n'est pas? And no, I don't have commitment issues nor do I get bored easily, etc.

I was thinking about this thread for a while, and then I CAME TO MY ****ING SENSES!!! C'mon people, you have "commitment issues"?! almost everyone on this board is 16 or under, and you're talking about "relationship issues". It's called either angst or stupidity, really, I mean, wow, people have had like 3 relationships that lasted 8 days. So what, you're young for god's sake, you're still a child in the world's eyes, so I've made a conscious decision not to talk about these "issues" we supposedly have about relationships and people should follow suit.

We're really young, yes, but in whatever distorted way human nature has developed, we begin 'going out' in our late pre-teens, early teens. Perhaps because we believe ourselves to be mentally older than we really are. Perhaps because it became a trend with the 'in' crowd and we all followed suit. And I point out that I said that I DON'T have commitment issues. But I won't boycott this thread, just in case an interesting sub-topic comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭:D mags :D

And I know that I'm young and most of this won't matter in the long run. It doesn't bother me now that my longest relationship was less than two weeks. Anyway, he was annoying.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

So what if you're under 16. Does that really matter? Many people have long relationships under the age of 16. The example of the 35 year relationship is one.

My longest relationship is 2 months shy of 2 years. I always considered myself a "relationship" person, if there is such a thing. What I mean is that I never considered "meeting" someone at a disco etc. I like the idea of getting to know someone properly.

Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

hrmph.

in fairness lads, you're only young once. my longest relationship-10 months(i coulda had a baby). looking back on those ten months i missed out on a big freakin load of stuff. i'm not scared of commitment, but still i DON'T want a boyfriend. cos it ties you down. i've got a someone i mess around with when i'm out in cavan and a someone i mess around with when i'm out in longford. and two of my friends have just ended long-term relationships (two years, and 2.5 of the earth years) cos they were so ****ing bored with the monotony of being tied down to someone so young. i couldn't fall in love now, i don't think i could fully comprehend the whole notion of being so completely in love with someone that i'd do anything for them. sure, i could like, grow to love them after staying with them for a while but jesus like, i'm only 16 so i want to feck around for a while. last night, me and one of my friends had the BEST time just flirtin wit loads o dudes in a restaurant for like two hours. it's fun. we're 16. we don't want commitment and seriousness, i was wearing stripey orange stockings for christ's sake.
    oh, and these whole 2-day relationships (abundant at ctyi). A)they're not relationships B)why come, when you're with someone, at ctyi, you have to be like 'with' them all couplely?

thank god for ****buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Relationships are either good for you or not. I don't like being tied down so I prefer not to enter into them in the first place. You're only young once.
    carpe diem et carpe puellam
    There's no need to get serious for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You're only saying that cause you were dumped by deirdre after 3 days :D

• Advertisement

P.Dot: Its your choice, being young doesn't mean being reckless and feckless just because you're young. You can always meet someone and know that there is something, and its a gamble because if you commit you can really get hurt. But if you keep moving they can't get you. There were sometime when I was younger (yes, believe it or not, I once was) where I wished I had indugled in all my wanton desires and impulses with everyone I admired.

But I am happy I didn't, because I think that it is better to find someone special and be intimate on so many more levels than just the physical, but thats just me. If I sounded preachy in my last post on this, it was not my intention.

And being young does not stop you falling in love or having a proper relationship. And for following the crowd, the crowd is more into the "share thy self" vibe than any commitment idea. The reason people think so many people are relationship people is that a couple will stick out more in your head than just a pair of f***buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Touchè. That's us even now so we can go back to being friends and hyper, but yes, recent discovery: Commitment? So not worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Squeee

I have to agree with garog......it was kinda ridiculous people claiming to have commitment issues....at our ages you aren't really supposed to want marriage. I knew this post was damned....ah well. And as cliched(can't do that accent) as it is.....i hate that phrase "in love". It scares the crap outta me. Makes me think of bleeding to death. Probably because it seems gooey, messy and painful. And my longest relationship was about 10days as well, so unforetunetly I can't beat that, but I can join it.

How long is your longest "situation" Aoife? Hum???

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Squeee

Ya know what, I really don't know. But "situations" don't really count......I don't mean that he doesn't count.....aargh...must dig up!

Muwahahahahahahahahaha. It is there for him to see tonight, I shall crush him. After dinner, of course. I seem to make you say horrible things.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

P.Dot: Its your choice, being young doesn't mean being reckless and feckless just because you're young. You can always meet someone and know that there is something, and its a gamble because if you commit you can really get hurt. But if you keep moving they can't get you.

i don't mean be reckless and feckless (loving that phrase btw) BECAUSE your young, but just, sorta, you're only young once, and you can only run round like an eejit for so long, so you might as well take full advantage of it while you can; cos it's fun. (you can't deny it's fun). and i do have Something with one of my ****buddies, a bigass Something, with bells on, but i know i'll only get bored if we get all serious, cos i like things the way they are. a lot. and he could hurt me if he wanted to, no problem, and i could do the same to him (i know where to get him where it hurts, heh heh heh), but we won't, cos we don't have anything to lose/gain by doing so because there's no big seriousness, so there's no need to.
    that's hard to explain, whoa, headache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Righto, I met Sara almost a year ago, since then she has has been the biggest, brightest and best-est influence in my life. She is my best friend, my kinky sex buddy, my personal hugger and my female counterpart all rolled into one easy to carry package entitled soulmate. For those of you who don't believe in such things, girlfriend will suffice.

Sara and I have been engaged (we're not anymore) for a rough total of 6 hours before we decided we didn't want to do it that way. For those of you who might think your fiancé calling off your engagement was a bad thing, in this case it was one of the funniest events of the last six months. Although it was mutual which sorta made it less "edgy". Regardless, we are inseperable and whenever I'm with her there is no where I'd rather be and no one I'd rather be with.

I wake up in the morning thinking of her and I go to sleep at night wanki... eh, smiling about her. ;) Basically, for us, relationships are a good thing. Granted, there were a few hiccups along the way but each time we decided that this is what's right for us. I'm not saying I see a long staight, flat road ahead that results in us dying during mad passionate sex at age 80... but I do see myself with her until the day I die and forever thereafter. I know she feels the same way.

To those of you who call such feelings and emotions wrong, I understand and all... but don't dare rain on my parade or I shall be forced to eat you. Rather slowly. Starting with your elbows. That's right, elbows.

To those of you who agree, or feel as if you would like to feel this way, I say: stay off the west side. Ho.

To each and every one of you; be happy. Please, the world is a bad and icky enough place without your misery so just be happy. Especially you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭s0l

I'm so with bob on this one.
    I mean, it's all about what allows you to feel best about yourself and knowing that you're making someone else feel good.
    Well it's late and i think i got food posining today from a weird bbq...
    well in short, I'm a romanticist most of the time and wibble wobble, i love you all.

• Advertisement

Dude, chances are you WILL die if you have mad passionate sex at 80.

Advertisement