Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone tried FOI angle with €ircon?

Options
  • 08-08-2003 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

I'm one of the unlucky lot who €eircon say can't get DSL.
    The facts...

I'm well within range of the exchange (which has been enabled).
    Neighbours in the area are getting DSL no problem
    I've checked with the faults dept. - no issues with line quality
    I've checked that my line is NOT split

I'm currently escalating things with €eircon biddies to do a line test when my handsets are disconnected to remove that as a possibility.. however the quandry remains...

€eircon can not seem to tell me WHY my line test is failing.

Therefore I was wondering if I could use the Freedom of Information approach to demand all info (including the criteria which my line test seems to be failing).

Anyone know if I could actually use this approach? Or could you recommend a better one?

c0y0te

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

http://www.oic.gov.ie/213e_3c2.htm

The FOI act only applies to Public bodies and eircon doesn't fall in that category any more. Now its just another private company which wants to s***w people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by c0y0te
    I'm one of the unlucky lot who €eircon say can't get DSL.
    The facts...

I'm well within range of the exchange (which has been enabled).
    Neighbours in the area are getting DSL no problem
    I've checked with the faults dept. - no issues with line quality
    I've checked that my line is NOT split

I'm currently escalating things with €eircon biddies to do a line test when my handsets are disconnected to remove that as a possibility.. however the quandry remains...

€eircon can not seem to tell me WHY my line test is failing.

Therefore I was wondering if I could use the Freedom of Information approach to demand all info (including the criteria which my line test seems to be failing).

Anyone know if I could actually use this approach? Or could you recommend a better one?

c0y0te

The facts eircon have no idea why you line failed, any info you get would be useless, cause it actaully doesnt say why your line fails only that it fails simple as that, excuses are the only things that you get, line quality, distance from the exchange is all youll get from here on in, you could be one of the lucky few that if you keep pestering them and continually check the line at WWW.EIRCOM.IE, it may pass in the future.

As for me im waiting on a CTM report thatll say **** all about my line and that its failed and staying failed and thats it, eircom have no obligation to replace yours or anyones elses line to get it to DSL quality cause its not in the pissing USO Agreement, so long as you can make calls thats fine by them

If ye get it good luck if not forget about it, cause all youll be doing is banging your head against a brick wall

Regards

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

Is there any way either of you could order a second line specifically for DSL and then cancel the line thats failing?

wish it was that easy, unfortunately there is absolutely no guarantee that a new line would pass for dsl either, thats accordring to several tech bods in eircom, the broadband support manager, and phil nolans pa

coyote could order it and stilll be in same boat as now

shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

The line test sends a signal down the line to check the capacitance i.e. the electrical resistance. Therefore the result that comes back from a line test is simply a statement of the electrical capacity of your line, not your suitability for DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

(while the local exchange was enabled)
    my own line failed, the passed, then failed, then passed, then failed, it is now passing .... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by MDR
    my own line failed, the passed, then failed, then passed, then failed, it is now passing .... :eek:

Wet Spell , Dry Spell , Wet Spell , Dry Spell , Wet Spell , Dry Spell :D

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by MDR
    (while the local exchange was enabled)
    my own line failed, the passed, then failed, then passed, then failed, it is now passing

headf*ck headf*ck headf*ck :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

The frustrating thing about alll this is that friggin €ircnuts still hold all the damn cards.

Yeah - you can go with UTV or ESAT or NETSOURCE.. but only if €ircon let you. At the end of the day they still control everything, and I've no sodding broadband.

So much for progress:mad:

No cable options in the area
    No wireless options in the area
    Can't be arsed with satellite (no online gaming options)

Basically shagged from all sides

c0y0te

join the club

shin

• Advertisement
Advertisement