Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats Hard on your cap?

Options
  • 08-08-2003 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, apart from straight downloading of huge files, what are the next best things for eating into your cap?

Does playing games online like CS or UT use much? How about watching streaming video, radio or tv?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

I play good bit of on line gaming .. and I really dont see this affecting my cap, but really it is.. its so slight each time that i dont notice, but that said it never ever takes a huge chunk from my cap. The other think I would say is streaming stuff of the net.. if u do the calcs, if u watch say 5mins of a stream, at 512kbs thats 52kb dloading a second x 5mins that 15mb dloaded, with out u even noticing. If ure a big tv streamer well then that could hit ure cap bad. Also another thing is the dloading of not so HUGE files but LOADS of smaller ones, e.g lots of mp3s that you just woudlnt notice how much they all add up together to. Stuff like that.

Im pritty annoyed this month if only got 1.9 gbs left, and I really have felt life ive dloaded nothing. Sigh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I'm already over my cap this month. Not quite sure how that happened. It jumped in over 1.5 gigs in one night and there's no way I downloaded that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Games wont make much of a dent at all at all.

Streaming Video and Tv will gobble it up, ull be over ur cap in no time. Radio's depend on thge quality of the site ur connected too.
    I'd imagine it will eat it up quikcly enough but not nearly as fast as TV/Video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

streaming video=the same as downloading large files.

Surpirsingly, a big eater is surfing sites with lots of flash thingies and shockwave games etc. That eats your cap a bit, more so then gaming sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

i've noticed that an hour of counter-strike (set up for optimal dsl performance) is only using 8-10mb an hour. And it is running perfectly with a low ping. so gaming doesn't eat into it, which for me is great! ;) i just wonder why if only getting 8mb an hour on it, why 56k couldn't handle it! but yes, CS, and i'm sure other games, are very very LIGHT on the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

well its the same small bit of information being sent to you, but you are just getting it faster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

l3rian in a lot of games u can up the amount of information you receive so that your fps will rise and become less 'laggy'.
    CS is fairl old tho so doubt it would make much difference

i'm guessing that might change in new version, it'll be less 56k friendly. thank god for BB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

I have just read that CS 1.6 will be much smoother and have better netcode than 1.5 more 56k friendly really.:D :D:D

thats good news! esp seeing as people i know, who are amazing players, find 56k with 1.5 impossible to play (i only migrated to BB just over a week ago, the diff is amazing with CS!) - i'm still unsure about getting the beta version tho! don't wanna wait for a 400mb d/l, which while it is going wont let me play 1.5 as it changes the data? dammit valve! release it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ftp://ftp.quake.ie/qw.files/clients/fuhquake-28.zip

and capped broadband isn't broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Download the beta! that 400megs is thw whole of CS in 1.6 version, it downloads the whole game again! You can download it via Steam, and still play 1.5 if ya want. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

Whats the link to Sixpack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

TBH if you play on Jolt 56k servers, it is really quite enjoyable to play, all regulars on the servers no haxors and strangely enough little lag (the best time to play ping wise is after 11:00pm) its really good tell those lads to check it out.Playing on 56k against LPB's is really impossible, so play against HPB's.

There are clans there too and leagues and tourno's to enter the clans have LPB and HPB sections so if you get BB you can stay in the clan.:D

Advertisement