Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobo make and number

• 08-08-2003 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

i want to buy ram for my old 133MHz computer, i dont know what type of ram it is though, i opened up the case and looked for the make and model of the motherboard so i could look it up on the web and see what ram it supports, but i could not find the make or number, is there a standrd place on the motherboard where the info is placed?

any suggestions welcomed,

k

PS: i looked at the ram chips and could not see a make but i did get a big long string of numbers HYM532414AM60 is this any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

There is no standard place for motherboard model numbers.
    Practice has taught most of us that GA-xxx means it's a Gigabyte motherboard etc.

However, the model number/make is usually written in bold white print in a large font.

If you have a digicam or a scanner post a pic and i'll id it for you.
    or
    Google for an app that will ID you're motherboard from windows (I know SiSoft Sandra will do this but it's not a free download.)

The RAM slots are either 72 pin Simm's or 168 pin DIMM's on a P1 (count the pins).
    If they are 72 Pin then forget it (they don't make the modules anymore and so prices are HUGH - but FYI on 72 pin P1 they would be EDO's if they are anything)
    If they are 168 pin then your're in luck as they are common and cheap - the only problem would be speed matching 66, 100, 133 MHz etc., (not an issue on MOST (not all) boards as they'll take any speed so long as it's same speed/faster than what's there already) and MAX memory size (which you need the board manual to check).

I've probably forgotten most of what i meant to say...

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Kantankerous

thanks for your reply,
    sorry actually my processor is a 166MHz amd, if this makes any diff.

k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Download belarc from http://www.belarc.com/Programs/advisor.exe
    That will tell all and its free aswell.
    DeV

Advertisement