Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

business DSL question.

Options
  • 08-08-2003 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm working for a small company who have about 10-14 ppl max working on the premises at any one time. Currently we're on ISDN and internet charges are around the €400+ mark. We're situated in Dublin Airport and the only BB available is through DSL for the moment.

We're with eircom at the moment and we've had a rep come out and explain to us about the different DSL packages. They've told us that if we are to go with DSL (with them) we've to go for their enhanced package at around ~€180 (ex VAT). From memory I think thats a 2mb/256k line.

We've no need for that sort of bandwidth as we only really need to access email and the odd time the internet. I know a little bit about DSL and I reckon that 512k/128 would do us fine, the 1mb/128k would be plenty.

Eircom won't have anything to do with us basically unless we go with there enhanced package.

So my quesiton is. For business purposes and for what we use the ISDN for at the mo (90% email - and not that much) do you think that one of the basic packages would do us fine?
    If so do the other ISP's dictate which package you've to go for?

I know we would have additional equipment to buy. Thats fine.

But to get our internet bill down from €400+ to around €200 monthly would be great. But I don't see why we can't get it down to around the the €100 mark with an ADSL package. (I don't think we'd go for an RADSL)

Hope that makes sense. Any input would be great.
    Regards,

ambrose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

For your use the basic packages would be fine. However the one thing you would want to watch is the Cap. I don't think they are charging at the moment but they probably will in the future. Just because of that I'd go with the enhanced version.

I would also warrant that you are probably trottling your use of the internet because of the associated ISDN costs you actually may find you use it alot more in the future because of the additional bandwidth.

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Gandalf,
    With regards to the cap. I think that the 8/10gb with the ADSL packages would be grand for us.
    I know netsource offer uncapped packages (I've just got the SOHO package installed at home and so far its been great.)

If we go for a more basic package I'm nearly sure that if we need to, an upgrade to a better package is just a phone call away.

But I don't see our needs going near the 8/10 gb cap with the likes of esats/eircoms. (UTVip don't do a business package as yet i don't think??)

Another question. We've 2 routers here coming from out ISDN modem and i'm wondering would they be any use with DSL or would we have to change them?

regards
    ambrose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Another question. We've 2 routers here coming from out ISDN modem and i'm wondering would they be any use with DSL or would we have to change them?
    Depends. How are the routers connected to the modem? If it's standard networking cable then you've got just normal ethernet routers and you can hang on to them.

With regards to which package, I'd go with Netsource SME or Premier. The lack of a cap is not the only big benefit for a business. A fixed IP would let you host your own website for free. Every company has gotta have a website these days, even if it's just a crappy thing with come contact details. The short contract is nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

The reason they want you to take the enhanced package is because of the amount of users that you will have connected to it. This is a tech support issue. Not sure why (prob greed) they do this but i know they do.

Have youe tried ringing esat? Don't know what exchange your area is on but you could give thema try and see if they offer their Business DSL in your area. Thats €90 before VAT a month for 512/256 uncapped. You can easily upgrade this to 1mb or 2mb iirc. It is only on limited exchanges tho.

Otherwise i'd go for Netsource Business. Cheaper than Eircoms and doesnt have a cap. Might have some ping issues but for a business this should be a problem. Eircom seem to be a bit more reliable at the moment (tho Netsource do seem to be working on it and has improved a lot recently, as u have it urself u should know) but you also forking out one hell of a lot extra. Esat also supply the modem but not sure if thats any good to you.

For your routers question im afraid ic ant help. Try posting the model numbers up here or doing a google on them.

Once you have DSL and you have 14 people working with it you'll notice it being used more and more. I wouldn't get a capped product unless your 100% certain it wont be breached.

If all you really want to use the connection for is e-mails have you looked at the 'flat rate' products for ISDN etc? You get 180 (240) hrs per month for €30 (€40?). Esat even has a business version.
    This wouldn't cost any money to setup apart from the price of a phone call.

DSL is the way forward however as im sure you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

B-K thanks for that.

Yeah I was thinking of the flatrate ISDN but I don't think any ISP offer dual channel support? We're not keen on single.

DSL is defo what we'd be heading towards. We're situated in Dublin Airport and from memory I don't think there is any other BB service (that suits our budget) available except DSL.

Esat to my knowledge aren't in our exchange either, so they'd jst be reselling Eircom's products.

Funny the Great Southern is straight across the road from us. I'm nearly sure its one of Eircoms free wireess "hotspots"...hmmm wonder could we hijack some of that bandwidth for free ;)

ambrose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

We got the 512 line in from eircom and so far its been flawless. But I would definatly say that the bigger and more expensive line you get in the better tech support you'll get from eircom if you need it. 512 would be grand for basic internet traffic and if nothing major is downloaded or used u should be okay with the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Hi

We have recently got the Eircom ADSL package. €165.00 for install and €169.00 p/mth (Plus VAT) (256k/1mg)

No problems so far - some of our clients have had problems tho and the tech support form eircom has been - well - its never their fault.

They may also try to sell you an Eircom business progress pack - (web site hosting, domain name, backup email server) for around €1000.00 + VAT). Dont get it - you can get the same from other web hosts for between €300-400. (annual costs)

We use dlink routers and firewalls without any problem.

Hope this helps

Paddyo

Advertisement