Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of 3rd Party/Replacement/Alternative Software

Options
  • 08-08-2003 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

List of 3rd Party/Replacement/Alternative Software
    Browsers:
    Opera
    Mozilla
    Firebird
    Amaya - Official W3C Browser
    HotJava - Pure Java Browser

Email Clients:
    PocoMail
    Munite
    Calypso

Office Applications:
    OpenOffice - echomadman

General:
    TheOpenCD - Lots of stuff, but app versions are *slightly* out of date
    GNU Win II - lots more apps then OpenCD but again, slightly out of date re:versions

Please suggest more catagories and programs that you've found useful or just plain different. Windows versions of *n*x apps are fine too.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll merge this into the Apps, Hacks, Fixes, Links, etc sticky later.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

its probably in the Apps, Hacks, Fixes, Links, etc thread but openoffice 1.1 is an excellent free alternative to M$ Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pdogs

Couple more mail clients:- (foxmail is my favorite and popcorn fits on a floppy and thus handy if you are moving around and don't want to use webmail).

Foxmail 2.3MB
    Eudora 6.4MB
    Popcorn 184KB

Couple more small, fast functional browsers:- (OB1 will also run off a floppy and can be a lifesaver for downloading stuff if your normal browser breaks down for some reason).

OffByOne
    Kmeleon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by pdogs
    Couple more mail clients:- (foxmail is my favorite and popcorn fits on a floppy and thus handy if you are moving around and don't want to use webmail).

Foxmail 2.3MB
    Eudora 6.4MB
    Popcorn 184KB

Couple more small, fast functional browsers:- (OB1 will also run off a floppy and can be a lifesaver for downloading stuff if your normal browser breaks down for some reason).

OffByOne
    Kmeleon

That's tje kind of stuff that I'd like to see more of, small and functional apps. V. handy for using in college/anywhere with roaming profiles and network drives with limited space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

EditPlus - as an alternative to a lot of text editors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I use poppeeper to monitor all my email addresses (5 of them, and yes there are good reasons for that) ... very handy for keeping track of them all.... runs in the taskbar and a small 621K installation file

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Irfanview 822K.
    Great Image viewer, and handy for Browsing, or batch renames.

All Plugins come in a single seperate download. Will do Movies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Aye, IrfanView rocks.

Wget For Windows - nevermind those other download/leeching apps. This is the daddy.

Also, anyone know of any freeware apps for defragmenting your hard drive?

One thing I've found quite handy is Onlineye.
    Very handy program for viewing/recording/alerting you to your bandwidth usage plus a good few other features.
    Can also be remotely viewed from another PC if setup in server mode. Afaik it's free/shareware.

Advertisement