Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my router partly (mostly?) to blame....?

• 08-08-2003 8:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

I'm using a Netgear DG 814 router and I'm still getting disconnects long after other Netsource users are back to "normal".

When everything goes dead, I can get to netsource.ie's main page but no further, so I take it, it's cached or something?
    If I ping netsource.ie it just times out.

If I ping my router... it just times out.

I've Idle Timeout set to 0.
    I've MTU size set to Default (1492).
    I've the latest firmware installed.

Anyone else using this router and having problems staying connected?

Anyone using this router and having NO problems.... send me your settings please!!:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I'm having some trouble and i'm on €ircon broadband. I've heard before that the router can overheat and cause problems...and i'm afraid this could be true. The other day when it was really hot, I got lots of disconnects. Usually at night I sit in the room with the window open and I have no problems with disconnects. Maybe it's just coincidence or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Well.... I started out in May thinking it was heat-related so I have my router perched on top of 2 sets of empty cassette boxes so there's ample airflow under and over it.
    Also.... some of my disconnects have been within 5 - 15 mins of turning it on in the morning when it hasn't had time to heat up at all.
    Definitely some of my problems were Netsource-related.

Strangely enough... since I set the MTU size to Default (6pm yesterday), I've stayed connected...unfortunately I didn't check to see what it was set to before, I just know it was "custom" ....
    Just as a matter of interest.... what's your MTU size set at?

Anyway... for now.... I seem to be enjoying disconnect-free internet access!

Isn't this what bb is all about?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by MasterOfSolos
    I'm having some trouble and i'm on €ircon broadband. I've heard before that the router can overheat and cause problems...and i'm afraid this could be true. The other day when it was really hot, I got lots of disconnects. Usually at night I sit in the room with the window open and I have no problems with disconnects. Maybe it's just coincidence or something...

Im in the same boat as you, but router overheating hasnt come up yet. What router are you using? If its a zyxel then we may have a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I'm using the Netgear DG 814 router.

It's quite hot today and I haven't had a single disconnect in the last 2 hours The router feels quite hot too. So maybe it isn't the heat thing. I also have my router sitting on top of two supports made from stacks of business cards :)

My MTU is set to 1492. Would lowering it help the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by MasterOfSolos
    My MTU is set to 1492. Would lowering it help the problem?
    MTU size won't cause disconnections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Just had my first disconnect since 6pm yesterday. :(

This time I'm 100% sure it was my router.
    I pinged it and it timed out.
    Internet light stayed lit, as always.

About the MTU setting... I only know that when I set it to Default which is 1492, I got 14 hours without a disconnect.
    It was the only change I made..... though it's probably a coincidence that I stayed connected?:confused:

Advertisement