Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on cars i'm thinking of buying

Options
  • 08-08-2003 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a new car in the next month or two.
    Has anyone got any opinions on any of the following cars?

Opel Astra 1.4i
    Opel Vectra 2.0 Dti
    Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi

I'm gonna spend between 6k and 10k, maybe a '98 or '99 car.
    Or has anyone got any other suggestions. I’m looking for a 4 door car, 1.6L max for petrol or 2L max for diesel.
    Are diesels more expensive to service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I wouldn't touch an Opel with an extendable 20-30ft barge pole. Everybody I know who's had an Opel does nothing but complain about major defects.

I wouldn't get the Octavia becuase of image, and because I wouldn't want a diesel.

How big a car do you need? I'm in roughly the same price bracket myself, and I'm planning on getting a Mazda 323 1.4L with as much toys as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Diesel's (farmer fuel) are the work of satan.

Nothing wrong with the octavia, except you need to get a big an engine as possible, the 1.4 takes 15 secs to reach 60 !!! :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Don't worry about diesel, Octavia should be ok if you can check service history. Its a Tdi so it will be quick enough.

Depending on the county you live in, diesel is way cheaper than petrol - 63p / litre verses 83p (thats in Claremorris, Mayo.)

I would prefer the Scoda over the Opel if it had more "gimicks" , alloys ew, SR, etc.

Do you come from an Opel Family?

I would suggest the Honda Civic, i have one for 4 years now & the only thing I can complain about is the small boot opening.
    Its a 4 door '98 1.4i SRS- easy on petrol when serviced regular.
    & quite nippy when driven over 5000 rpm.
    Have a look at them & see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Yeah i'm thinking more about the diesel because of the fuel economy and its cheaper anyway.
    Do you come from an Opel Family?

Nope, I just seen them around and thought they looked nice, but i'm edging back towards getting a Skoda.

I would probably go for the Ambiente model, 90 bhp. The insurance wouldn't be too bad on it either.

Does a service for a diesel car cost more than a petrol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

in this day & age service cost is down to labour. I would find it doubtfull that the costs are excessively expensive. You'll have to ring up a few garages. Ask the bloke your purchasing from how much the service costs are. Come back with the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Service interval on the Octavia TDI is a whopping 30,000 miles or 2 years so you wont have too much labour to pay for...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Aragorn

You could get a 97 Audi A3 or a 98 Golf Mark 4 for under €10K, both quality motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭jamesd

Defn the TDI Skoda ,
    The Opel diesel engine is useless - they should have stuck with the 1.7TD engine they had in the earlier cars as they did not make that engine themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Dampsquid
    I'm thinking about getting a new car in the next month or two.
    Has anyone got any opinions on any of the following cars?

Opel Astra 1.4i
    Opel Vectra 2.0 Dti
    Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi

I'm gonna spend between 6k and 10k, maybe a '98 or '99 car.
    Or has anyone got any other suggestions. I’m looking for a 4 door car, 1.6L max for petrol or 2L max for diesel.
    Are diesels more expensive to service?

I'd go for the Skoda. I have a diesal also (Audi A4 1.9Tdi) and she is as fast as I need + I do a shít load of milage to the gallen. I never owned a diesal before my A4 and tbh you wouldn't know the difference (except for how much you pay in fuel).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Interesting topic as I'm seriously considering a second hand Octavia myself atm. (1.9 tdi)

Does anyone have advice on whether or not it's worth it to plump for a more recent 01/02 or save the money and go a couple of years older?

It was suggested to me there may be a few high-mileage models out there due to their popularity with the taxi-drivers.

All online reviews seem to be positive though (thanks mike65)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Audi A4 1.6petrol, lowered with 17" S3 alloys. Oh, and get it in black.

Advertisement