Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guitar Repair

• 08-08-2003 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Around 8 years ago my parents bought me a Gibson SG (Lucky me :D ) but over the years, from recording studios and gigs etc the paint work isnt as good as it once was. Im looking to get the finish re-finished, but dont know where. Ive been considering getting the guitars striiped and repainted etc but the only qoute ive gotten was starting at 350 euro from the guitar workshop. Anyone know anywhere better? Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres a guy in dublin that does that kinda work. Go into musican and ask. Thats where I found out about him. Can't remember his details any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

that is the smae bloke i think.

I got an old westone thunder 1A that id like refinished-it's got a lovley coat of furniture varnish on it:p

if you find some one can you post?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Believe it or not, it's not that hard to refinish a guitar! try Project Guitart for some help. Just take you're time and practice on some scrap first. And if you want to get a really nice glossy clear coat, try and find a nice helpful car respray place. They'll be able to buff it up nicely :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

There's a luthier in Marley Park, in that small cluster of shops. His name's Derek <something>. Did work for a few Irish artists (U2, etc...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Derek's work is AMAZING..........Another option might be to contact Chris Larkin in Kerry - he borders on Godliness for his work....& his own brand of guitars are a DREAM............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 chunga_monster

Derek Nelson, Marley Park. I think he still works from there. I can only comment on him because I know his work. Dont know about anyone else in Ireland really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

His name is Derrick Nelson and he's in the phone book under Danvel Musical Instruments - 01 4942741. He's the only man to trust in Dublin. I have my Rickenbacker bass in with him at the moment getting the frets refinished. I left an ESP bass in with him about 6 years ago and I haven't had to touch the setup since, still plays like a dream. As with an SG, there's no way I'd leave a quality instrument in with any of the scheisters you see putting up ads in the guitar shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spookyghost

recently bought a strat from adverts, lovely one too. but it needs a setup bad. previous owner had it set up with 11's, he threw a set of 10's on it the day i inspected it - which was grand as i play with 10's normally but action is way too low on it now and its making the pickups (57-62's) sound terrible, very harsh on the ears. The neck is going to need a tweek along with the trem, also need more springs...etc etc..
    I picked up Eugines buissiness card a while back and tried to give him a call there but no luck - answer machine (didn't leave a message) kinda glad now after reading about his repairs on this board. Then i noticed Dereks name pop up, completely forgot about this guru of wonder :D just gave him a call, think it was his missus i was on too - anyway she took a booking for me to come in with my sick strat! It totally felt like i was calling about my sick dog :P God bless her lil cotton socks! I knw its prob gonna cost me an arm and a leg to get the strat to play like whipped cream but at least its gonna be in safe hands!! Thanks for the reminder guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

recently bought a strat from adverts, lovely one too. but it needs a setup bad. previous owner had it set up with 11's, he threw a set of 10's on it the day i inspected it - which was grand as i play with 10's normally but action is way too low on it now and its making the pickups (57-62's) sound terrible, very harsh on the ears. The neck is going to need a tweek along with the trem, also need more springs...etc etc..
    I picked up Eugines buissiness card a while back and tried to give him a call there but no luck - answer machine (didn't leave a message) kinda glad now after reading about his repairs on this board. Then i noticed Dereks name pop up, completely forgot about this guru of wonder :D just gave him a call, think it was his missus i was on too - anyway she took a booking for me to come in with my sick strat! It totally felt like i was calling about my sick dog :P God bless her lil cotton socks! I knw its prob gonna cost me an arm and a leg to get the strat to play like whipped cream but at least its gonna be in safe hands!! Thanks for the reminder guys!

Nearly 7 years... What's the record on this?:)

Advertisement