Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the sound of a dead hard drive?

• 08-08-2003 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

Yesterday one of my hard drives apparently crashed. It is a 40GB Quantum Fireball Plus AS.

It suddenly started making clicking noises and couldn't be accessed from windows. On reboot, it began clicking again, but only for a few seconds. You can hear this clicking in mp3 format here [66KB].

BIOS does not detect the drive*.

Is this the usual sound of a crashing HD and is there any way to retrieve the data from the drive?

* Well, it actually detected it once as an 8GB drive for some reason...

:ninja:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Run for norton ghost and a coffen! your hard drive hasn't long to live....The heads are falling allover the place inside. Back up soon as possible because it is dieing......BUT.........

a little tip - take the hard drive out and shake it..i've seen this put the head back in its position. Worth a try do it after you have backed up before its 2 late.

I hate when these things happy - they suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by Webmonkey
    Run for norton ghost and a coffen! your hard drive hasn't long to live....
    Sadly, neither bios or windows detects the drive so this insn't possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Oh, sadly then its dead :mad: Well too dead to retreive data unless you get it done professionl but that costs u loads...

Take it out and give it a good shake and then try (No joke it might do the trick)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

i never had a hd that crashed but clicking sound doesnt sound good. sounds like head is gone ie the motor or something like that is wasted. i reckon ur data is ok but it will cos ya to get it removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

IBM used to have a load of useful diagnostic sounds on their website. Look in their support section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by DMT
    Yesterday one of my hard drives apparently crashed. It is a 40GB Quantum Fireball Plus AS.

wasnt this the series that had that fuxed chip and 90% went bad

lol just got the sound dl'ed and fuxored comes to mind .

try freezing it in a towle and plastic bag may work for a few mins to get ur data off.

Advertisement