Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Five Live back on NTL in Waterford!

• 08-08-2003 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Yipeeeeeeeeee! Its been about 3 years since it was last carried down here so I'm thrilled to bits what with the footie back on soon, and of course everything else (rugby, athletics, tennis, formula 1, er...!)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

was in wateford for few dayd this week.Was watching analogue cable- i think. Kept switching between BBC 1 NI (Analogue sourced) and BBC 1 Wales (Presely sourced) and digibox BBC 1 NI (no text),UTV and ITV1 Wales. Pictures from Wales were terrible. Anyone know where they are picking up NI signals(microwave link I guess as here in Galway - taken from Chorus MMDS system) and their Presely signals??

Presely was terrible. Down road in wexford supposed to be very good Presely reception? Lots of UNix 100 gr B seem to be going up there now.Saw televés DTT aerials- two combined - for freeview i guess?Anyone getting freeview there? Is the analogue Presely signal subject to any tidal fading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I beleive ntl get their presely feed from the hill at Cheekpoint - there's a giant UHF dish there with microwave antenna pointed towards their mast in the city anyway. The location should give good analogue, though I guess the recent favourable conditions for tropospheric ducting have caused distant stations to interfere a lot. My presely has been unwatchable for the last few days anyway due to interferance - I've been getting my UK chans from Redruth in Cornwall instead, as well as freeview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Interesting.The preferred feed seems to be the BBC NI/UTV/CH4 analogue feed,via microwave link from close to the border. (as ntl provide us with here in co. galway). Analogue teletext is present - not the case with the freeview muxs is it?

I wonder if any of the MMDS cable comps are still using the the welsh feeds now -presely, blaenplywf, or the arfon relay? I guess the problem in s4C which subscribers dont like cos of all the welsh.

Of course Presely is the only decent main tx analogue source of Five that overspills into the republic.(yes i know Derry does too but that is a 10kw vertically polarised relay)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No teletext on UK DTT - decision taking at start to encourage digital text services (which took literaly years to launch).

Practically none of the big cable companies are using BBC Wales now. Chorus last three Wales regions (Rathnew, New Ross, Arklow IIRC) are now taking BBC Northern Ireland from what has been posted here previously, off air relay of MMDS strangely was the source quoted. And Casey Cablevision, last time I heard, had switched to BBC LDN (of all places)!

Casey was still taking HTV Wales (or ITV1Wales if you prefer) last I heard, and carried S4C and Channel 4 at one stage!

Wexford is a good place for UK TV... deflectors carrying HTV and S4C (from Tramore it seemed - Welsh programmes were replaced by a text service on S4C). And I managed to pick up on a particulary clear day on holiday two years ago, Westcountry Television and BBC South West!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I havent seen a MMDS dish at Chorus' New-Ross mast, though I suppose it could be somewhere else I dont know if. They've still got the quad at approx 150ft with numerous satellite dishes at the base up in the Irishtown.

The deflector is on the hill just outside Dunmore East (Harristown), and switched over to being digibox sourced a good while ago, and is now going to MMDS as their FTV cards are being shut off..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by icdg
    Casey was still taking HTV Wales (or ITV1Wales if you prefer) last I heard, and carried S4C and Channel 4 at one stage!

last i saw (about a month ago) they were still showing Channel 4 and S4C.

HTV and Channel 4 came from digiboxes. i'll try and find out whats happening since that message started to appear on FTV cards

Advertisement