Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E/Window Problem - opinions please

Options
  • 08-08-2003 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭

Folks ,
    Basically my window is down fully and won't go up . The 3 month warranty runs out at the end of this month.

I hoping the dealer i bought from doesn't give me cock and bull like it's not covered .

I reckon it's the motor as it's just the drivers door window.
    I tried switching fuses but no joy .

Any opinions or experience with motors of e/w ?

Hopefully no scumbag will come near the car ?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has the window been playing up before today? Can you hear the motor running, it could be a tired motor finally seizeing up or it could be just be a sticky window glass...sometimes the wiring gets broken by the opening and closing of the door over time...

I'd head straight to your nearest auto electrician (check Golden pages or Red Pages) and forget the dealer who will a proberly not have anyone who can do the work before sometime next week and will charge you more anyway.

This relates to a Merc but might be of use-
    http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2461&highlight=windows

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Yeah but a warranty is a warranty isn't it ? Whats the whole point in getting one if it's not gonna be valid ???

I wouldn't say it's playing up alot , there was one occassion 2 weeks when the same thing hapeened but it worked again after about 20 minutes . I thought at the time that the motor was going alright.

I'm gonna demand that he fixes the window and if that takes a couple of days , so be it .

I'm hoping not to have to pay for anything

Not to put a "downer" on this, but the guarentee proberly goes no further than the engine/gearbox....

Mike.

Well , I called out to the dealer this morning. Told him the craic he got the mechanic to strip the door to assertain what was wrong.

He said it was the motor and that if I brought it back on Monday they'd fix it .

In the mean time he put up the window and stuck a stick underneath.

Sound , so far !!

Good show, can't be a main dealer! ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Is your car made by the Volkswagon group by any chance? I know someone who recently had the same problem except the car wasn't under warranty, it cost them €220 to get the whole window assembly refitted because 'that's the way they come'.

Mike , not a main dealer , no.

Fab, it's a Honda Accord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

Not exactly the same but I too have a problems with electric windows. My driver/passenger windows work fine, but my two back windows (little sticky out coupe ones) work intermittently. I've narrowed it down - they don't work when starting the car after its been sitting in the sun (handy!). Is there anything I can do?

query, this is only a guess but if the heat is part of the mix it could be that contact/s are expanding after the car sits in the sun and so dont make a steady connection with a metal conductor.

Mike.

Advertisement