Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erm Problem :) !!

• 09-08-2003 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Seem to be having a problem with my DVD drive, anythime im using it - to copy files, dvd ripping, anything........... the Pc runs at a 486 (MEGA SLOW) level.

Its an Xp3000+ (at 2400Mhz),
    Ocz Pc3200 512mb RAM,
    Abit NF7-S Mobo,
    WD 120gb special ed hard disk,
    NEC Nd1100 DVD+R drive.

Its intolarable, everything takes ages (i mean ages) to load, songs skip..... DVD's will also be dodgy as hell (lines and skipping).

Recently changed everything except my DVD drive.

It was never like that before, could be DVD ripping, playing music, anything without a problem....... Any idea's??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

check to see if dma is turned on, and if it is, turn it off, your mobo might be having difficulties with the dvd rom etc... or windows, give it a try, switch it on/off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

That sounds like it might be the problem, but how exactly do i disable/enable DMA??

bump!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭El_MUERkO

I'd guess in the bios settings.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Go to Device manager and expand the IDE/ATAPI controllers. Double-click on the one corresponding to your DVD-drive, click on advanced settings and change transfer mode to PIO.

• Advertisement

Ahh legand, thanks a bunch !! Problem fixed, activated DMA and she's flyin it - thanks again.

Advertisement