Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old style Keyboard

Options
  • 09-08-2003 6:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Got a problem - I'm trying to fix up an old piece of garbage so me mate can have internet acces etc. Its a Pentium 266 and it boots fine - problem is, it uses one of those old style keyboard connectors - like a really big PS/2 port. Anyway, it's got a PCI bracket that can take a standard PS/2 connector, but it won't detect the keyboard!! This connects to the mobo with a cable - tried reconnecting it and nada.

So - question is, where can I get one of those old style keyboards? Or, possibly, another PS/2 bracket? Or failing that, would it be standard for a BIOS to recognize a serial keyboard? Or do they even exist? I don't want to spend any money on this particularly as whatever I buy I'm not gaurunteed success anyway, as it may be the mobo itself that just can't see the keyboard!

It's a shot in the dark, but any ideas? She says the machine worked fine until about a year ago - she put it in my wardrobe when she moved and now this...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

hey killah,
    if it has a ps/2 and a larger round port for the keyboard ( it's an AT port), in my experience the computer doesn't like the keyboard anywhere but in the AT port. It's not like a mouse which you can eventually get to work in a serial port-AT port usually means an AT keyboard or you can just use a ps/2 to AT adaptor! they are less then a fiver in most PC shops, but i think i have a spare one if you want it. You can just use the adaptor, and plug it in just like a native AT keyboard, AT and PS/2 keyboards are generally exactly the same, they just have different plugs.

hope it helps.

spaczed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

the ps2 to "old style" adaptors r about €2 in peats/ maplins

thats the best way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

nice one folks - didn't realise that an adaptor would be so readily available - I'll score one so

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Got one today in peats for €3.20 - works fine - nice one guys!

Advertisement