Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my computer

Options
  • 09-08-2003 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to upgrade my computer, and not spend more than 350-400 euro. I don't need more hd space, a new soundcard or a better graphics card.

1) I'm looking into a dual processor mobo, but i don't know whats good and whats not. I'd be looking into amd processors as they're cheaper and performt the same as/better than p4's. Whats recommneded.

If thats too expecsive, a single processor mobo is grand

2) I want firewire if possible, usb 2.0 isn;t a deciding factor.

3) About 512megs ram, more if its cheap.

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Dual processor boards will take you to about €700 atleast , you need MP (unless you mod XP's) processors, ECC Ram ...... and the Board is expensive. Think 1 processor is the way to go in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

rightio then, what single processor boards and ram etc would you be recommending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres a been a few for sale second had on various forums. You might puck up bargain going that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

For motherboards would have to recomend Abit or Asus, they both make fantastic boards. These both have Firewire(1394) , built in surround sound card, USB 2.0, dual DDR, 400FSB capable!

Abit NF7
    Asus A7N8X

Have both of these boards, they all get brilliant reviews. Would recomend the Abit board myself.

CPU wise would go for either the Xp2500+ or Xp2800+ as they have the new barton cores(double the cache). Make sure to get a boxed version as it includes a Heatsink & fan.

Memory wise, go with Pc2700 or above. The lower the CL value the better. Ie CL2 is faster than CL2.5 . Any time ive ordered OEM ram from komplett ive got TwinMos.

How about this Ram?

Getting An Xp2800+ , 512Mb RAM & an abit board brings you to just over your limit (about €380). Could always go for the Xp2500+ & 1gb of faster RAM??

Ok, i was investigating dual cpu motherboards out of interest, and i found one in komplett here

Two questions, where could i find one with a faster FSB for similar price

And two: If i buy such a board, can i put in one processor now, and then add a second later when i can afford it? And do the processors have to be same type/speed? Or can i have this and then later add this when it drops in price. (assuming i find a board with 333mhz fsb)

And will dual procesors operate correctly under WinXP Pro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

dual processors run in 2000 upwards

i have a p4 3ghz chip running in xp pro and it reconizes it as two chips so it's like having two 1.5 ghz chips in my pc

thats hyper-threading for ya. Grand so, as long as no-one comes up with new info about incompatibilieties in my choices, thats what i'm gonna go for.

I've heard that the P4's need to have an extra power lead attached before they'll run. Does anyone know if theres anything like that i need to know about the processors i've chosen?

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    thats hyper-threading for ya. Grand so, as long as no-one comes up with new info about incompatibilieties in my choices, thats what i'm gonna go for.

I've heard that the P4's need to have an extra power lead attached before they'll run. Does anyone know if theres anything like that i need to know about the processors i've chosen?

If you are on a budget you'd be better with a single faster CPU like a P4. The power lead you are talking about is from the PSU to the P4 motherboards. Incidentally you'll need a high quality PSU to run a dual board.

Why do you want a dual anyway. Twice the cost for at most 40% more performance in 10% of applications. Makes no sense unless you are running those 10% of apps 90% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

If you want a fast rig that's gonna last a while, I'd recommend something like this:
    Abit IS7 mobo (800Mhz fsb, SATA, RAID, AGPx8, USB 2.0, Gigabit LAN, HT)
    http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=79
    P4 2.4c (800Mhz with HyperThreading)
    2x256mgs DDR400 PC3200 RAM in dual mode

The Abit IS7 is marketed as having a 10/100 realtek lan, but they actually have 3Com gigabit lans onboard, which was a nice surprise :)

The board is o/cable to 3.0 GHz with stock cooling (3.5Ghz with watercooling)

Depending on RAM quality, you could get that lot for around 400

I was under the impression that using a dual processor motherboard would give x2 the speed of a single processor motherboard, in ALL applications. is this wrong? (assuming both chips are the same)

if it is, then i've just been saved from a costly mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

A dual processor won't give 2x the performance as most programmes don't use the 2 processors. Some programmes use the 2 procesors but there is overhead in deciding which processor does what.
    The biggest advantage is if you are multitasking.

rightio then, back to single processors it is, thanks for pointing out a dual system wasn't in my best interests. saved me a bomb, i know a guy working in komplett and i can get a discount on large orders... heh. but looks like i won't be spending that much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

If i was going forr a dual i would get the MSI K7D Master-L that Mutant_Fruit linked to with too xp 1700 or so ,cheap and can overclock well, along with 512 EEC RAM should be about €460 or so

and brings me to another question if i went for the Abit NF7 board, would i be able to overclock, and how far could i get the XP2800/2500 up to stably on the supplied coolers?

A dual is only faster in 3D CAD and graphic applications, or in number crunching applications, scientific apps that are specifically written to run faster on multiprocessors. Then only on an OS that can use multiprocessors like XP Pro (not home) or W2K (not 98 etc).

Even then say in a CAD or say Photoshop dual processors are only faster when running certain tasks like rendering or running filters. The rest of the time the second processor sits there twiddling its thumbs. Thats what why I said its only at best 40% faster in 10% of applications and then only if you are doing those specific tasks. Which mopst people will only run 10% of the time.

Yeah the OS will use the 2nd processor occasionally but not enough to make the cost overhead worthwhile. If you were doing a lot of multitasking with heavy applications or running very heavy duty apps which put a lot of strain on the OS then you'd see some improvement. But it would be in the region of 20% not 200%.

Think you've figured that out now though....:D

Advertisement