Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV vs IOL anytime opinions please

Options
  • 09-08-2003 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Just had a huge phone bill (lots of daytime surfing though - due to being on strike recently!) and thinking about flat rate dial up. From what I can see from the forum IOL Anytime would seem to be a superior product to UTVipXL - any opinions welcomed!

Also what kind of savings on my phone could I really expect if I went the UTV route?

Finally has any one any experience with the UTVip LITE package - I presume it would suffer from the same problems as UTVipXL ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Opinion round here would seem to suggest that if you're an online gamer then you should almost certainly go with IOL Anytime. I just got it, and I'm very happy with it so far. The d/l rates are also good.

I've seen people say that UTV is both good and bad, more of a mixed review. Gamer's seem unimpressed with it. I doubt you'd find too much difference between Lite and XL. On the basis that I don't know too many people unhappy with Anytime, I'd say go with that. I wasn't bothered taking the telephony from UTV anyway, is nothing straightforward anymore? :-/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

My experience with UTV has been very positive. There have been glitches, but on the whole it works extremely well. Downloads are almost invariably fast enough to fully saturate my 64k connection. I don't worry about pings, as I don't play online games. The [infamous] dialler is designed to prevent busy tones, at their own expense, which is a nice touch - that said, I can't use the dialler since I dial from Linux, but I rarely experience busy tones anyway. Customer service has generally been good when I needed it.

I haven't used EsatBT, but remember why IrelandOffline was formed in the first place? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

digitaldr,

In my experience, having used both UTVip Lite [only 30 hours per month Internet access] and now using UTVip XL [180 hours anytime internet usage per month], plus you get up to 25% discount on your ordinary* telephone call charges, this just tipped the balance for me in favour of UTV, and I am more than happy. However I am not a gamer, if you are UTV Clicksilver would it seems be more appropriate. Full details of all U.TV Internet ISP packages on website:- www.utvip.com/
    or call 1890-926111 between 9.00am & 9.00pm.

Just one other point have you ever come accross another ISP who are so open and customer orientated that they are prepared to discuss their services - warts and all - on a public forum such as this?..

Be lucky.

Paddy20. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Hi,

Ditto what oscarBravo said....

The service has its glitches (like every other service in existance), but in general it's excellent. Downloads fully saturate my *cough shamefully*28k pipe, and i get excellent pings (for a pairgained PSTN line, anyway).

Some people do have problems with UTV, but they don't seem to affect EVERY user.

Hope that helps......
    - andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i'm using anytime on 64k no problems so far never disconnected when trying to dial and pings/downloads are as solid as ever

• Advertisement
Advertisement