Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade?

• 09-08-2003 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

This is my pc's specs, I use it mainly for gamming and internet access

-gigabyte ga - 7dxr+
    -xp 2100
    -512 mb pc 2100
    -creative 3D Blaster 4 Titanium 4200
    - IBM deskstar 80gb 7200
    -Trust Sound Expert Digital Surround ( i use my hifi for speakers)
    -tosiba dvd
    -lite on cd burner
    -3com ethernet card
    -****e codegen case
    -dell trinitron 21" monitor

I have between €250 - €300 to spend, would I see much of an improvement if I got this card ie. for half life 2 doom 3 etc. Or should I spend my money on a nice case. any other suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

buy a case or something now, get a card when the games come out, the ti4200 should handle hl2 handily enough anyway, and when doom 3 hits there will be better cards on the market. U'll get a little performance improvement and dx9 compliance for 250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

thanks for the advise.
    how much will I need to spend to buy a good case.
    where is the best place in dublin to buy a case? I dont want to order online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Dont know why you dont want to order online....... just incase try

Elara , brilliant cases & nice PSU's aswell!! I know maplin have some nice looking cases but there crap build quality and you will pay through the nose for it ;) .

PS mabye some creative 4.1 surround sound speakers ?? There brilliant & also from elara.....

I didn't want to order on line as a case is fairly big. But I can collect it for elara. How's about
    this with this this. Is this noisey? and more important will I be able to use my zalman slient heatsink and 92mm fan

If you have a zalman theres no point in getting the Xaser II or III.
    Have the Xaser II myself and although they have silent fans, with 5 or 7 of them going at once she is quite noisy. Zalman would be a waste with this case.

Sounds like your going for the nice silent pc yea? This is suppose to be ultra quiet & comes with a quality silent PSU. Sonata . AFAIK the zalman should fit no probs, think the PCI slots are standard position (they sorta have to be).

The case has gotten brilliant reviews & im getting one for me second pc.

Elara have flat rate delivery, no matter how heavey it is its the same price. Got a 19" monitor delivered for €9 to kildare.

Ps im not dogin the Xaser cases, i think there one of the best around - just not silent :)

• Advertisement

Im not too fussed about noise I had a cooler master hs/f before I got the zalman it was going at 8000rpm very noisey (could hear it from the room below!).

I was just woried that the zalman wouldn't fit into the xaser case and Id have to get another hs/f. Would the xaser be noisier than say a new dell.

Ive ordered what Id posted below now anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

The only problem that you would have with the Zalmann is the fact that it is very heavy and is over the weight restrictions of most Motherboards.

I have a Zalman fitted to my Asus P4G8X DELUXE and it is a lot quieter, the Mother board is fitted into a modified CoolerMaster ATCS case, which has 3 HD fans cooling the HD's. and the noise is almost 75% quieter.

That said some other motherboards will crack under the weight of the fan, so be aware,the other problem is the fact that some boards have a number of diodes beside the chip socket which hinders the installation of a Zalmann. Other then that i cant say anything bad about the Zalmann range.

Hope this helps!

I think he already has the Heatsink installed and is worry'n about wheather the 92mm fan will fit from the PCI slots on the Xaser III case. <- Shouldnt be a problem!!

The Xaser III case is a tolerable noise level, its not to bad but its definetly not silent. I was using a Volcano 7 and it was soooooo noisey , could be heard from all around the house, getting the new case ment the fan was running at lower RPM (better air flow) and now its pretty quiet.

I doubt you will be able to sleep with the machine on if its near you, but the noise is un-noticable when playing songs or dvd's etc. You will definetly be happy with your purchase - fantastic case!!

Advertisement