Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mpeg/ avi compression

• 09-08-2003 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

can someone recommend a good program to compress mpg and avi files, which are currently in the 700mb range?

im looking to get them as small as poss without much loss of quality

paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joe bloggs

search yahoo for uharc it will come in dos form download a gui for it as well

i compressed a game 800mb to 500mbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jdsiiken

TMPGEnc , one of the best mpeg encoders there is. If you choose the right options and are prepared for long re-encoding times (i.e. overnight jobs) you can get great results with small file sizes. One of the most import options is "motion precision search”, set it to highest/slowest. A free version is available on www.tmpgenc.net with limited mpeg2 trial.

For avi compression and a guide to everything there is to know about audiovisual go to www.dvdrhelp.com. It really is a grate site with guides, step by steps and a great section on av tools and where to download them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Avi's, and i think mpegs, already are compressed. The compression wouldnt be much more without loosing some quality. You could use the physovisual enhancements to cut some unnecessary information from the video stream without loosing noticable quality.

Advertisement