Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

projector help

Options
  • 09-08-2003 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

hi all,
    Hope someone can be of help, sorry if this sounds like a newbie question but I have an proxima ultralight ls1 projector which I use for presentations and the like in my work. While it's fine for powerpoint etc, I cannot get it to display video or dvd's. While the video is playing on the laptop the projector is just displaying a black window.
    I'm using windows xp and my resolution is set to 1024x768.
    Can anyone offer any help??

:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

anyone got any idea???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This Site would seem to suggest that video is supported.. (although they don't seem to know if component video is supported)..

What are you using to play your DVDs/Videos? Are you using a standalone DVD player or a laptop? Are you using a TV-out from a laptop, or the monitor connection?

When you have it working for PowerPoint presentations, can you play a DVD from that machine, and see if it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BTW: It seems to be a re-badged Sanyo PLC-SU07N.

The equivalent Sanyo player doesn't seem to support component video...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

There would be several ways to display DVDs on that projector.
    1. Composite (yellow RCA connector) - I don't know if your laptop has that output, but every DVD player has one.
    2. Through RGB (not component as Krusty has suggested) in the VGA output (the same one you use to present the powerpoint).

Try to set the resolution of the Laptop to the native resolution of the projector, i.e 800X600 and see if it works.

BTW, the proxima is not what you would like to use for video. While it might be great for presentation it was simply not designed to be good at video. Look at the poor contrast ratio it has (100:1 ANSI) I would recommend minimum of 700:1 at output of no more than 500 Lumens.

If you have any furthr questions, please do not hesitate to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

Thanks for the responses, some great suggestions there. I have to dig up my s-video connector to try that. I realise it's not built for use with movies but would the quality really be that bad??

Also,

I'm not too sure what your talking about here
    2. Through RGB (not component as Krusty has suggested) in the VGA output (the same one you use to present the powerpoint).

could you be a little clearer??

thanx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

It would be (in my opinion) really bad - do not be fooled by the size over quality...look for the colors saturation, realizem of colors (check for skin tone), especially for the black levels and details in dark scenes (pick something you are familiar with).

a VGA connector (like the one a computer has) transffers the signal in an RGB format. Krusty wrote that it is component (YUV).

Just get a VGA to VGA cable (you already have it if you already present powerpoint on the proj) and get on to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Possibly the problem is the laptop - I have experienced when trying to play video with multiple outputs from the same video card (ie on laptop with LCD + TVOut) the video will only play on one display even if you have them cloned. Easiest solution is to make the tvout or external VGA connection your primary and only output device. Then it works fine in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Virus_Inc is right - you just need to set the external device as your primary monitor. Control Panel > Display > Settings. Select the external device and check 'use this device as the primary monitor'. You should now have the video on the external device and the black box on your laptop display.

Advertisement