Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does MlDonkey work?

• 09-08-2003 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Is this a program just like kazaa? or do you need to have no cap and loads of stuff to share??

Just downloaded it...it wont connect for some reason. Its very strange looking...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

does the words Trojan spring to mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

oh its like that is it? wat a peace of crap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Carnate
    does the words Trojan spring to mind?
    What do you base that on?

Experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

that is just FUD Carnate. Pure, ignorant FUD. MLdonkey is open source for christ sake. Instead of claiming it's a trojan try reading the source code, or talking to the large community of developers that work on the damn thing.

Mldonkey does support the kazaa network (fasttrack). It runs as a daemon/service on your machine and you connect to it with a gui, telnet or web browser (my prefered method).

It also supports half a dozen other networks.

The one down side of it, is that as it's a service and supports so many networks it's a lot harder to configure than kazaa which just tends to work straight off.

Greg

PS "experience", what a lame answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What a min, holdup this lad has "experience"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭s8n

so how do you use it then???

i only have experience using it on linux. But what i did was,

download the pre-compiled binary (I'm lazy)
    extract it, and run it

read the doc's to see what firewall ports it needs open (you need to open the ports for whatever protocols you intend to use, I mainly use fasttrack and edonkey)

Then leave it running permenantly.
    Whenever I want to set something downloading, I use a web browser from wherever I am to my linux box at home. Do a search, then click on what I want.

There's gui's as well, but they're not that pretty, and I like the fact I can use my web browser from work to start downloads at home.

Greg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

i like it. .. worked straight out of the box for me on mdk9.1, you're right, the current guis are badly organised and a bit unresponsive, so is the web browser interface tbh
    frankly, I don't know enough about daemons, but i understand there could be security problems if you don't know what youy're doing ?
    recommended anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Give me a web site where i can dl it from!!!

• Advertisement

type mldonkey into google, and the first 2 results are the mldonkey homepage and development homepage. How lazy are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by quozl
    The one down side of it, is that as it's a service and supports so many networks it's a lot harder to configure than kazaa which just tends to work straight off.

I tried DC++ last year. DC++ works on a hub principle - and I've seen that as soon as someone tried to connect to a hub using MLDonkey - their IP was permanently banned from that hub.
    The DC and DC++ communities explanation was that MLDonkey was a very greedy protocol and just took too much without giving
    and was monopolising the hubs - hence the bannings.

Jus passing on the info.

oz.

“Roll it back”

quozl
    No Life

Rofl, man u kill me. Ever heard of Sarcasm,

No?

I got a FUD .. thx always wanted one of those!

Oh btw THATS Sarcasm!

Take a chill pill.

Lifes Way to short!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

You really know sarcasm!

Advertisement