Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Causal link between Eircom "Hi Speed" and Tourettes Syndrome?

Options
  • 09-08-2003 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I find that at work when I have to go online using Eircom's humourously named "Hi-Speed" ISDN service I find myself developing some of the symptoms of Tourettes Syndrome.

For example the 50th time in one day the download speed slows to a pace that seems slower than a 14k modem;

ploink

20 minutes later the connection persistently drops during large FTP uploads;

ploink

and so on for hours on end, sometimes I throw anything not attached to the desk across the office.

I am a very mild and quiet person not given to such foul-mouthed outbursts - I am concerned that "Hi-Speed" might be giving me some sort of brain damage like Tourettes Syndrome.

Has any research been done into this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Just one look at your Avatar might give you a clue!, or have you heard of a touch of midsummer madness?..

Im my case Ratphobia* is becoming a really serious problem, just one look at Eircoms logo, which seems to be everywhere and I leap out the window!!. Luckily, I live in a bungalow and apart from frightening strangers - no harm done.

Paddy20.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Paddy20
    Just one look at your Avatar might give you a clue!, or have you heard of a touch of midsummer madness?..

could be the heat as well I suppose :)

but having just got DSL at home I am painfully aware of what a crappy deal the people & businesses where I work are getting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by pork99
    but having just got DSL at home I am painfully aware of what a crappy deal the people & businesses where I work are getting
    Indeed they are.

I still edited your first post though. Tourette's Syndrome is a real condition. You don't have it.

Coprolalia[1] usually manifests itself as socially inappropriate words or phrases. If you're annoyed with your connection dropping, the language is entirely appropriate in your living room. Hence, no Tourette's for you.

Given that this will inevitably go downhill with people vying to outdo each other to complain about their respective telcos, I'll just lock this

Yes, I had my humour chip removed this morning. Huzzah for me.

[1]Yeah, that's a real word. I'm going out with a nurse who leaves her books cluttering the living room.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement