Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSI Geforce FX 5600 256MB is Cool!!!

• 09-08-2003 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

I got the MSI FX 5600 today and it is great. The picture quality is superb. Comes with 10 games and lots of software. Pretty cool package.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

So it pretty good. i need to upgrade my graphics card. At the mo i have Geforce 2 MX 400, so i need to get a new one to play HL2 and other games properly. How much was it? and where did u get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Adrian

I got it in Peats for €269. But you can get it off Komplett for €200.
    I don't have a credit card so I could'nt get it off Komplett. Besides I trust Peats no little to nothing about Kompletts delivery service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Adrian
    Besides I trust Peats [k]no[w] little to nothing about Kompletts delivery service.

I think it was worth the risk... as there is no risk and you'd have saved yourself ~€60.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

yeah €60 down the drain, or rather into the bank account of another rip-off irish shop. komplett are more trust worthy too for after sale support

but enjoy your nice card

id love to be able to buy off komplett but I have no credit card as I am only 16 and my mother and father dont let me use their credit cards.

• Advertisement

This might be going a bit off topic but I think banks should release an under 18 credit card for internet use only. It could even be a debit card. Something like a pass card only you use it on the internet. That would be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Retr0Gaymer
    How many Frames per second will i get with that?

Here's a question for you:How long is a piece of string?
    Does it support Glide in hardware?
    No. Glide is an API based on OpenGL. There are no purely native drivers for Glide for nVidia cards that I know of as it was 3Dfx who developed the API for their own chipsets. Since nVidia bought 3Dfx I had hoped they might try and put some sort of implementation of Glide support into the detonator drivers to let us play some of the older 3Dfx games, but I suppose the proper OpenGL support they provide for their current cards is probably a better option.
    You *can* get Direct3D and/or OpenGL wrappers for most cards, which will translate Glide calls into D3D or OpenGL calls, effectively allowing you to run Glide apps as though you had a 3Dfx card.
    There was also a driver/wrapper released (and withdrawn) by creative quite a while back for TNT/TNT2 based cards (and hence GeForce+) wich did the same thing. Afaik due to their licence to build cards based on 3Dfx chips and having to write drivers for these cards they wrote and released the wrapper (which worked quite well) only for 3Dfx to get in a huff over them breaching licence agreements - being able to effectively play games using a proprietary API on 3rd-party hardware pretty much as well if not better (TNT2s kicked sh[i/]ite out of VooDoo3s at higher settings) then the proprietor's hardware was not very good for business.

Course, you could just buy a 2nd/3rd hand VooDoo2 (or two of em for SLI goodness) and use that for your Glide apps....actually, anyone have a 12meg Creative VooDoo2 they want to offload?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

Originally posted by SyxPak

Course, you could just buy a 2nd/3rd hand VooDoo2 (or two of em for SLI goodness) and use that for your Glide apps....actually, anyone have a 12meg Creative VooDoo2 they want to offload? [/B]

Miles and miles off topic but I do have a 12mb Diamond Voodoo2 to offload. In fact I have a pair. No SLI cable though. Any offers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Just wondering.. what is the 5600 in comparision to the 5900?? Much difference etc? and what about that 5200 is that dodgy all together?

The 5900 is much better then the 5600. So if you are willing to spend the money on one then go for it. I was going to get one but then I said to myself that I would be mad to spend that much money on one. So I got the 5600. You might aswell get the Nvidia 5600 Ultra, thats better then the 5600 for about €30 more or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I just ordered an Abit Siluro GeForce FX 5600 DT from Komplett about 2 weeks ago to build a new machine for about €150. They sent me an Ultra :-) Bit of a change from my old GeForce 2 GTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Just upgraded graphics cards meself aswell.
    I went from a Geforce 3( which i blew up) to a 9800.
    The difference was very noticable. Flashed me 9800 and turned it into a 9800pro .
    So i got a 9800Pro for only Sterling£217.
    Which i thought was nice.
    What was the 10 games you got as it seems a very good bundle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

MSI Geforce FX 5600 256MB is Cool!!!

It most certainly is.
    Great Card.

I wanted to have dual voodoo2's running in my system for old glide games (and nostalgic value, 3Dfx are cool), but i just couldnt get it working.

1 card on its own worked fine, but 2 in SLI, and the whole screen was corrupted.

Advertisement