Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healing

• 09-08-2003 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Right I've taken me stud out to let it heal, but I've got a red lump on the top hole, I dunno whether its ripped a bit and tried to heal over or around the stud or what, any suggestions? and I know your not suppposed to use tea tree cream or anything like that on your piercing when you get it, but can i use it now to help it heal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dragon_ninja82

As long as you arent allergic to tea tree oil it should be fine to use at this stage. The red lump might be hypertrophic scarring or possibly a keloid, and if it is tea tree oil is a good remedy for either. Of course if that doesnt work for you, you might need to get steroid shots (like my mate had to get in his nipple for a particularly bad nipple piercing keloid).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tea tree isn't going to help with scarring and keloids, vitamin E oil is the best thing to use, just massage it in every day and it'll break up the scar tissue.
    If that doesn't work you can get steroid injections but knowing GP's in this country you'd get a frosty reception if you asked them for this! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Living Legend

Eh are these keloid things serious?and will tea tree oil speed up the healing?

Oh and steroid injections,where is the needle stuck?and are there side effects?can you get them anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dragon_ninja82

I have heard about tea tree oil healing them, but its a rare case when it actually happens, as eth0 said vitamin E oil would be better, but if you allready have tea tree oil you might as well try it. Keloids and Hypertrophic scarring arent serious (they arent going to kill you), its just scar tissue, but Hypertrophic scarring (which tends to be more common than keloids) is easier to clear. As for steroid injections, best see a dermatoligist or a doctor and get them to make an evaluation and they will set up any treatments you need. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I really don't think tea tree oil would help with scar tissue....it's good for healing in that it kills any bacteria etc, but it's not going to help break up the scar tissue and reduce the keloid/scar tissue, vitamin E oil is really the best for this side o' things (speaking from personal experience on this as well)

How long does it usually take 4 the vitamin E oil 2 start 2 work?and thanx 2 both of yaz 4 all the advice and all, its been really helpful, cheers!

Advertisement