Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freeserve Anytime

Options
  • 10-08-2003 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Sometime ago, in one of the threads, someone said thast in the UK there is no unlimited unmetered access via dialup. I found out that Freeserve do a package called Anytime and there are no restrictions at all on online time, other than they kick you off after 2 hours but you are free to redial.

So my question to IOFFL, for those of us who live in small villages which will never get BB, nor even ISDN, please add this to the list of things that you are seeking from Irish ISPs and don't give up just because BB is now on the scene

Sean

Join Ireland Weather Network

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

tcob1,

I do not know where you picked up from a thread that on this forum the impression that , Quote: " In the UK there is no unmetered unlimited access via dial-up?" end quote.

Ireland OFFline [IOFFL] as far as I am aware was set up by a group of dedicated campaigners, working on a voluntary basis to put pressure on the powers that be for the introduction of 24/7 flat rate monthly fairly priced internet access packages, as opposed to paying Eircom per minute. When in places like the UK and throughout the EU a plethora of 24/7 Internet access packages at very cheap monthly flat rates have been available for a very long time.

Your question is in fact the core reason for the existance of IOFFL, and I can not see them resting until they have achieved their objectives, and more!.

Paddy20.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by tcob1
    Sometime ago, in one of the threads, someone said thast in the UK there is no unlimited unmetered access via dialup. I found out that Freeserve do a package called Anytime and there are no restrictions at all on online time, other than they kick you off after 2 hours but you are free to redial

Freeserve have kicked people off the serve for overuse before. However they only kick people off that really abuse the system by leaving it on 24/7.

That is not to say that there are ISPs in the UK with no limit on the number of hours online with their unmetered products.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I was having a discussion with someone about the new 180 hours packages, expressing my view that rural users of the internet are losing out because we cannot get BB and that the only other option is a 24/7 dialup access. Freeserve have this for 13.99 a month, I wonder what the price will be in Ireland should it ever get released :)

I think the IOFFL have done more for Irish internet than any other body including the Regs. It seems that with BB arriving there is not so much consenus as to what to do. now. I know that BB will possibly take in most people and that very rural users are at best only ever going to have dialup, I just hope that someone in power will not forget us, I send ail mails to my local TDs once a month now, explaing the lack of resources for us rural users and the impact this has not only on me, but also on my children who are tonmorrows voters :)

Sean

Originally posted by Fungus
    Freeserve have kicked people off the serve for overuse before. However they only kick people off that really abuse the system by leaving it on 24/7.

That is not to say that there are ISPs in the UK with no limit on the number of hours online with their unmetered products.

I spoke with their sales staff (bad move usually) and they seemed to be under the impression that their was no upper time limit, one did speak with a supervisor.

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

tcob1 the best bet for decent access in rural areas is wireless non line of sight broadband. Even with 24/7 flat rate given the state of "the incumbants" copper network most rural areas do not get decent connection speeds alot of them only see 14,000k speeds which is not adequate.

The goal is not to just give people in this country one option to connect to the internet, we want choice no matter where you live. The best way to give that choice to you and all the others in rural areas is to sort out an alternative last mile solution which wireless would fit into nicely. Then we may see more flexibility from other organisations if they want to compete.

Yes you should start writing to your TD's but you may find your councillors and European representitives will be listening as well, especially considering there are elections coming up for them soon :)

Gandalf.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by gandalf
    tcob1 the best bet for decent access in rural areas is wireless non line of sight broadband. Even with 24/7 flat rate given the state of "the incumbants" copper network most rural areas do not get decent connection speeds alot of them only see 14,000k speeds which is not adequate.

The goal is not to just give people in this country one option to connect to the internet, we want choice no matter where you live. The best way to give that choice to you and all the others in rural areas is to sort out an alternative last mile solution which wireless would fit into nicely. Then we may see more flexibility from other organisations if they want to compete.

Yes you should start writing to your TD's but you may find your councillors and European representitives will be listening as well, especially considering there are elections coming up for them soon :)

Gandalf.

I have to admit that I had forgotten about wireless, I should not have as I used Tele2 when I lived in Engl;and which was excellent. I will have to start looking at the various wireless options but Connemara will not be on top of the hit list for most companies which is why I am trying to get something decent for rural pots users.

My local TD does get a letter once a month outlining what has happened for local access here. I had forgotten about the local politicans and will start sending them info as well :)

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭daveharlowe

Hi Sean,

I don't know how far into Connemara you are, but you may already have access to a wireless networking node....

Have a look here :
    http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?p=6108#post6108

Please contact me directly (or Zed) if you want help/more details...

regards,
    Dave

daveharlowe@hotmail.com

Originally posted by daveharlowe
    Hi Sean,

I don't know how far into Connemara you are, but you may already have access to a wireless networking node....

Have a look here :
    http://www.irishwan.org/board/showthread.php?p=6108#post6108

Please contact me directly (or Zed) if you want help/more details...

regards,
    Dave

daveharlowe@hotmail.com

I will have to keep an eye on that site :) I am out in Renvyle, right on the westerly coast line of Connemara :)

Sean

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by tcob1
    I think the IOFFL have done more for Irish internet than any other body including the Regs. It seems that with BB arriving there is not so much consenus as to what to do. now.
    Don't be so sure. Have you read the AGM minutes? We're every bit as focused as we've ever been, and the objectives still stand.

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    Don't be so sure. Have you read the AGM minutes? We're every bit as focused as we've ever been, and the objectives still stand.

Having read them now, I stand correct and will support the IOFFL anyway I can

Sean

• Advertisement
Advertisement