Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Phill in de Trib

Options
  • 10-08-2003 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

I bought the sunday tribune to read the interview with Xian but as an added treat theres a large interview with our old friend Phill Nolan.

Ill leave other people to comment on the missed opportunitys in the piece (and there are plenty wrt line rental), but one phrase jumped out and slapped me across the face
    regarding dsl rollout

So far, the package has been sold to 10,000 customers and the target for the end of 2004 is 100,000. "Its a product that has to be sold", says Nolan"

What?? 10,000 eircom dsl conections in Ireland? Is this true? I was guessing more around the 6,000 mark, altho i suppose its not beyond the realms of possibility.

The real laugh is the figure of 100k dsl lines by next year. Please. This is a company that had trouble selling adsl to the early adopters - the people that would go for broadband at ANY cost hummed and hawed and thought long and hard about it at the initial price.

All of a sudden they start selling an inferior quality service at twice the price of the european standard and they expect to grow their market by a factor of TEN?

Its not gonna happen phill, not unless theres a real shift in eircoms dsl strategy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Dustaz
    The real laugh is the figure of 100k dsl lines by next year. Please. This is a company that had trouble selling adsl to the early adopters - the people that would go for broadband at ANY cost hummed and hawed and thought long and hard about it at the initial price.
    Oh I have to agree with that. When you've problems selling a product to the people who didn't care that their mobile phones were the size of a small boat back in the mid-1990s there's something wrong with your entire strategy. If you can't do that, their parents aren't going to suddenly start buying the product in the second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

With the network in the state that its in im surprised that even 6000 people can get it let alone 10000, and he says 100000 are gonna be connected by 2004.

Dear god hes reallly gone off the deep end, somebody get that man a strait jacket.

Really the bull**** that were supposed to believe is beyond all reason to be honest

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Read the piece after the interview in Ethos and boy what a difference in spirit! Thiers and mine...:(

Interviewer Brian Carey let any number of issues slip by. You'd think eircom were the best in breed instead of being in the dog-house with the consumer.

Oh yes did anyone spot the income figure for interconnects?
    Over €200 million for latest reported year. One can only presume
    that number is something that Nolan will do his damnest to protect.

Mike.

Advertisement