Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Article] Supermarkets charge 50% more than in UK stores

• 10-08-2003 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭

Rather pointed article in the Sindo. They've also printed a rip-off Ireland pricelist
    SHOPPERS would each save €550 a year on groceries if Irish supermarkets charged the same as their UK counterparts, a Sunday Independent survey has found.

The kicker is
    Even Irish-made cheddar cheese is dearer. It is €3.58 per kilo in British Tesco stores compared to €7.61 in Ireland. American-owned Asda charges just €2.54 in Britain, meaning this Irish cheese is 199 per cent more expensive when it is sold in Ireland.
    Obviously there are cost differences in the two markets (UK and ireland) but it puts the argument that it's more expensive to transport goods to Ireland and that's why it's more expensive rather in the shade.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Tesco Ireland charges over 50 per cent more for a basket of 10 everyday items than its British sister stores, our survey has shown.

A Gillette razor costs twice as much in Irish supermarkets as it does in England. Kellogg's Corn Flakes are €2.02 here and only €1.67 in the UK.
    So fuc|<ing irritating. What's even more irritating is that there's NOTHING we can do about it. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by kamobe
    So fuc|<ing irritating. What's even more irritating is that there's NOTHING we can do about it. :mad:
    Well there is actually but it takes more than using your work internet connection to argue about it in here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I remember my parents esp mum saying when we first arrived on these damp shores back in the 70s how cheap everything was here esp stuff like fresh meat. Where did it all go wrong.....?
    Gillette Mach 3 Razors

Tesco Ireland €7.99

Tesco UK €3.86

Its items like the above that are the real killer anything to do with
    the bathroom or kitchen sink costs far more here.

Still we only have ourselves to blame (it sez here...) if we shop at Tesco or Dunnes or SuperValu rather than Lidl or Aldi....Both of which are opening down here soon (Lidl in a few weeks). I shall be going in with a pen and notepad!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by mike65
    I shall be going in with a pen and notepad!
    Why should we need pen and paper. The ODCA should use it's powers to get all the chains price lists and publish them on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I shall be going in with a pen and notepad!

Do it discretely then - I got kicked out of a Tesco's for writing down all their breaches of the law. See this thread
    here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

One could combine ripoff protests and The Flash Mob in Tescos. There is an Anodyne Irish site Here

Like everybody demanding (loudly) to know where the €4.99 Mach 3 Razor blade 10 Packs are.

Just a thought :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Y'know Muck thats not such a daft idea, it would be worth a few mins on the evening news and in the papers...so many targets though!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

.......especially if the Mob (loudly) demanded a particular product at exactly the same price as the UK store would charge for it. Baaaaaaaaaaaaddddddd PR that.

M

Advertisement