Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chealsea keep spending !

• 10-08-2003 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭

Chealsea and parma both have confirmed that they have agreed a fee for 23 Romanian striker MUTI(spelling may be wrong) for 15 million pounds muti will be going through a medical on monday. This make me wonder are chealsea going to keep buying more players before the deadline and who is going to be in the first team ?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Yep. Adrian Mutiu I think his name is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Ye they keep on spending and yet they only have one player who could probably make it into the Utd team...and thats Duff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Mate you would love Geremi on the right for Utd. Filipe Ricci from the gazette says CFC will be signing one of the best strikers in the world he will tear PL defences apart he scored 20 goals last season and wasn't even playing striker that is some feat especially in Seria A.

The Mail has us in for Emerson again but I'd take that with a pinch of salt, Cisse, Christiano Ronaldo also.

No i wouldnt. Id prefer Solskjaer. And if you had seen the way djemba played today, you would not want him either.

• Advertisement

Im looking forward to Liverpool v Chelsea next sunday.

Djemba Djema only came only for the 25 mins yes he was very skillful but his touch was poor don't judge a player after seeing him once CFC made that mistake with De Lucas supposed to have been the new Petrescu, yes Djemba has potential but its early days.

I saw him play for nantes last season too. It wasn't the first time i have seen him at all. Geremi is good but he wouldn't get in Arsenals or Utd's first eleven.

The only players I would have from Gooners are Viera Pires and Henry and from Mancs Van Nist and Scholes.

no Giggs? No O Shea? no Silvestre? no Ferdinand? No SOlskjaer? No campbell? no gilberta? no wiltord? no bergkamp?

Obviously your living in fantasy land...Chelsea wish they had a squad half as strong as either Arsenal or Utd. They dont...and will have to keepspending to get it and even then that wont guarantee jack.

• Advertisement

At this present time CFC have the biggest squad.

Giggs a few years ago not now.
    O Shea class forgot him.
    Silvestre perhaps
    I wouldn't have the baby faced assasin at this time as we have a god lot of strikers.
    Terry reads the game far better than Rio
    Silva isn't that great
    Wiltord no way up and down
    Bergkamp too old.

Here's an interesting question for all the Utd fans we always hear that Utd sign English players barring Ferdiand when was the last time Utd signed a big name eng PL player?

And thats important because?...

CFC have the biggest squad but not the best squad...far from it. When they dominate English football like Man Utd have done, then they will be the best team.

you still havent answered my question, we know we're not going to win the league but we're building a team capable of challenging.

I dont know and who the hell paraded the fact we always buy big english pl players? We never do. We bring them through our youth system.

It was Steady Teddy, many people (sky, press, Rte) said Utd never sign foreginers they always go for the english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Here's an interesting question for all the Utd fans we always hear that Utd sign English players barring Ferdiand when was the last time Utd signed a big name eng PL player?

I'd like to know who makes this claim. Frankly Smuckers I think this may be a slight fabrication of the truth. Maybe what you really heard is that Utd have a great tradition of maintaining British/Irish players despite the fact that they sign a lot of Internationals.

I think if you look throught the United team that started today you will find quite a number of British players on show. Neville, Ferdinand, Giggs, Butt and Scholes. Thats is only who started today. G. Neville, Brown, Fletcher and Richardson are also important members of the squad. The fact is that Utd rarely sign English internationals because the best ones are nearly always at the club already. The only clubs that can even come close to matching there Home grown talent are Leeds and West Ham

I think chelsea had the basis of a title winning team last year. They certainly have a number of players that would force their into any team in the league their problems are not going to arise now but in a few years when Roman decides hes had enough. They will have to offload their most expensive players as they will not be able to afford their wages and in the void there will be no youth structure to fill the gap.

sky, press, Rte

Sky, Press and RTE claim a lot of things. In my memory I can never remember any of them saying that UTD Never Sign Foreigners if they did make that claim, which I doubt,they were obviously on drugs. Maybe it was a claim they made 20 years ago when it was true.

It was just very interesting to find out the last eng PL player Utd signed was Sheri.

I hope Rob Huth comes through is a monster of player, Alexis Nicolas look good too as does Joe Keenan.

Yes I know Utd have brought through the home grown and fair play to them for nurturing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by smuckers
    CFC made that mistake with De Lucas supposed to have been the new Petrescu/B]
    New Petrescu? The guy is an attacking midfielder or a right winger not a right back or wing back.

Right now I'd rate chelsea's first team and squad the best in the Premierhsip. I don't think I'll feel the same if (when?) Man U sign a world class defender, an attack minded midfielder and a striker,but right now Chelsea are IMO better than Arsenal or Man U player wise. Whether they all gel is the Question

BTW what would be your Chelsea starting Eleven?

For me:

Mutu Gudjohnson

Duff Petit Veron Geremi

Bridge Desailly Terry Gallas

Cuducini

Subs(5 premiership): C.Cole, J. Cole, Melchiot, Gronkjaer, Macho.

Which leaves Hasselbaink, Lampard, Johnson, Zenden, Stanic and Babayaro not really getting in too often at least in my opinion. Ranieri likes to rotate though so we'll see.

• Advertisement

Super Dan became a right sided mid in the era of the pass and move team.

My Team

Carlo

Johnsen, Gallas Terry Bridge

Geremi Veron Lamps Duff

Mutu Forssell

Subs: Ambrosio, Desaily, Gudjohsen, Melchiot, Petit.

Macho will be out for a good few months after tearing his ligiments, JFH could be gone before Aug 31, and J Cole will have to earn his way into the team.
    Forssell will suprise a few this year I reckon.

I don't know if he'll play Veron and Frank in the same too many people are underestimating Frank's defensive side and Veron for that matter at Lazio he covered every blade of grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

I think the smucker's team is closer to the one that will start against Liverpool - possibly one change Gudjohnsen for Forssel.

I was LMAO with the poster who said that RA will struggle to pay wages in the next few years. :)

Same as Smuckers team really but Cole will replace lamps and veron will be a link up or the front two/either him or Cole.

Guducini

Melchiot Terry Desailly Gallas

Geremi Veron Lampard Duff

J. Cole

Gudjohnsen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I was LMAO with the poster who said that RA will struggle to pay wages in the next few years.
    What he infact said was that when RA gets bored ina couple years and sells or stops plowing money into Chelsea they will struggle.
    Thats the major worry i'd have if i was a Chelsea fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

ii wouldnt when asked in a recent interview how long he would continue to support chelsea he said the next 25 years and the calibre of players that they are buy says that All their signings have been under the age of 25 so we wont need to spend big next year although he is investing 60 million in a new training complex and if anyone read the financial times last week they would see that abromivich's company has paid out a divident of 750 million euros for the first six months of the year so paying wages will be a piece of pie for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

My worry would be that somebody who can make a fortune in a short space of time is also capable of losing a fortune in a short space of time.

Chelsea have the largest wagebill in the PL. Most players joining are saying things like "he made me an offer I couldn't refuse". Also most of these are 4 and 5 year contracts - so if the money were to disappear in 2 to 3 years then there would be serious problems.

Naturally if all the money required is being put aside now then the problem should not arise in the near future. I'm looking forward to seeing them play and hoping they don't thrash Liverpool too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

The Americans offered 30 Million for Saddam.
    Chelsea have just offered 35 Million for him.

• Advertisement

I know the joke I have it as a topic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

ah ****, and i thought i was being quick off the mark.
    I figured it might be around already, I only got it a half hour ago and everyone i sent it to is emailing me back saying they got it this morning. ****

Pete I see what you're saying but if I hear CFC buying the title I'm going to go mad its ok for Utd and gooners to make big signings but when CFC do it there's an uproar.
    There are 3 stages.

Stage 1
    Claudio reducing the age of the squad
    Stage 2:
    Building the squad to challenge for the PL and europe.
    Stage 3:
    winning the title.

Havent reached stage 3 yet.

Smuckers, I've no problems with the big signings - Chelsea have spent more than Arsenal in the last few seasons regardless of what money is going around now.

I think that Claudio will be well able to manage the squad and can do great things.

Unless the outgoings that Chelsea are amassing now (wages mostly) can be covered in advance, if something were to happen to Roman it would not be a very nice picture at Chelsea.

As far as buying youth and building for the future - spot on, best way to go about it. Veron is probably oldest player bought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Even if roman were to leave next week we would still be in a healthy state all the players we have bought are young and unlike previous years have a good resale value roman has cleared the depth so if he cleared off tomorrow we would be in far better shape than if he never came at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Stage 1
    Claudio reducing the age of the squad
    Stage 2:
    Building the squad to challenge for the PL and europe.
    Stage 3:
    winning the title.

Stage 1:
    Steal underpants
    Stage 2:
    ?
    Stage3:
    PROFIT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i have to laugh at chelsea, spending 15m on an absolute nobody. forking out massive wages, keeping dustcatchers like petit and hasslebaink.

ranieri cannot attract big names, duff was the only acception. j.cole and veron on paper are good players but they're far too inconsistent. if veron was 'one of the best players in the world' he'd be staying at utd.

75m spent, 58m wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

if I hear CFC buying the title
    Thats is basically what they are trying to do. Man Utd brought in big name players to work with the home grown talent. (not as much recently tho i do admit). Arsenal's back line and midfield were there and was improved upon by Wenger. Chelesea however are trying to buy everyone and their dog ina bid for quick success. How is this not buying the title?
    I'm going to go mad its ok for Utd and gooners to make big signings but when CFC do it there's an uproar.
    I dont think there is an uproar as such, perhaps jealousy that other clubs can't afford to buy this amount of players. Man U included. I dont think any club in the Premiership has (ever?) spent over £75million in one close season with more spending to come.

Originally posted by smemon
    i have to laugh at chelsea, spending 15m on an absolute nobody. forking out massive wages, keeping dustcatchers like petit and hasslebaink.

ranieri cannot attract big names, duff was the only acception. j.cole and veron on paper are good players but they're far too inconsistent. if veron was 'one of the best players in the world' he'd be staying at utd.
    I have to laugh at ManU fans who think is unwise to spend money on Veron, hilarious. It will be funnier when he puts in the performances that he never put in for United.

As JohnnyBravo points out, there should be a good resale price on most of the acquisitions. Veron is the only player that will loose value over the coming seasons and that's because he's the closest to the peak of his career.

I had a good chuckle when Utd signed:

Cryuff
    Poborsky
    Blomvquist
    Bosnich
    Taibi
    Blanc

If Mutu is a nobody how did he score 20 goals in seria A and wasn't even playing as a forward?

I think he was playing as a forward - just he was expected to be the creator in the partnership. That's not an easy league to score goals in either - Vieri probably didn't get too many more than him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

I watch a lot of Serie A and Chelsea have bought themselves an absolute magician. Mutu is an unbelievable talent- As a Pool fan I am seriously jealous...

Marct I tipped Pool to finish 4th Kewell will give that creative edge.

What does exactly buying the title mean? from my understanding this is buying players for the sake of it, I can't remember not one person accusing Gooners of buying the title in the summer they signed Overmars and co, and what about the summer Utd spent 19 on Van Nist and 28.8 on Veron but still didn't win the league
    They needed Van Nist but there was no need for Veron as it wasn't an area they needed strengthing, I think people are failing to get into their heads that CFC needed strenghtening

1.2 midfielders left
    2.goalies left( 2)
    3. we had no cover at RB
    4.Zola left (Mutu)
    5.Baba in the last few years has declined and Soxy was getting old
    6.Claudio didn't even want Bolo he was a Vialli target but Colin Hutchinson followed it up.

Alot of these buys are long term buys for the future.

We're not going to win the league we never said that, thats people's assumptions.

We're not going to win the league we never said that, thats people's assumptions.
    Maybe his eyes are as bigger than his wallet but I would imagine that RA is more interested in the CL than the PL. Also Claudio being a foreign manager would also rate the CL as the priority (just assumptions).

Anyway - hopefully the first qualifier is a close run thing, then maybe a weakened (if that's still possible?) side to turn out against Liverpool in order to keep players fresh for the second leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

BOLO???

bet you weren't chuckling when utd scooped 7/8 titles in 11 years and won the champs league.

im not jealous of mutu, he'll score a few goals then fade away after this season. 15m is overpriced. 6,7 is more like it. chelsea are building a completely new side, ive lost count the amount of players they've signed.

there's no way they'll gel quickly, they need 2/3 years. plus mutu isnt a striker, he's an attacking midfielder. so far arsenal or utd wont feel threatend. duff is chelsea's only star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Originally posted by smemon
    bet you weren't chuckling when utd scooped 7/8 titles in 11 years and won the champs league.

im not jealous of mutu, he'll score a few goals then fade away after this season. 15m is overpriced. 6,7 is more like it. chelsea are building a completely new side, ive lost count the amount of players they've signed.

there's no way they'll gel quickly, they need 2/3 years. plus mutu isnt a striker, he's an attacking midfielder. so far arsenal or utd wont feel threatend. duff is chelsea's only star.

I would put any amount of money on it that you have never even seen Mutu play!!:rolleyes:

ive seen him play twice i think, not much ok. sebastian frey is parma's only quality player. mutu aint nothin special. wont hack it in england.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

we all know abramovich is rich and alot of us know he got his money from oil but how did he get money to buy an oil company.If any1 watched sky news around the time of the iraq war weopons were being sold by people in russia to iraq. Roman the Terrorist ???. why not he looks EVIL!!!

What players that Chelsea signed can get into either Arsenal or Man Utd? Nobody...except Duff...possibly.

Thats not to say they wont come third in the league cos i think they will.

Only 3 would would get into the CFC team from Arse Henry Pires and Viera.

Bolo- Boudewin Zenden.

can't hack it? alot of people said that about Zola saying he'd stay for a year and then go and the rest is history.
    and you think someone like Kleberson is going to pull his socks up every game?

• Advertisement
Advertisement