Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chealsea keep spending !

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

Mutu is a decent signing he got seventeen goals in seria A ahead of the likes of montella crespo and trezeguet all world class players in a league which is notoriously hard to score in look at rivaldo and robbie keane so anyone who says he isnt good enough especially since both real madrid and utd made tentative enquires at christmas knows nothing about football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

If you want an overpriced player take Mr Rio Ferdinand 30 mil for a good CB but by no means world class that was absolutely ludicrous he is so prone to lots of defensive lapses and was supposed to help Utd's quest for the CL but was exposed so many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

Thats wat you pay in an overpriced market when you want the best up and coming defender in the world from your biggest rivals.

The guy is an excellent player and is so young.

Im not going to comment on their latest signing, the striker...cos ive never see nhim play.

Ferdinand is still an amazing defender and is getting a lot better.

Ferdinand is good but the best up and coming defender in the world? thats a bit extreme.

BBC are showing our CL qualifier game tomorrow night just been confirmed 6:30 it begins.:)

No Ferdinand is. He has all the perfect qualities of any defender. He just needs a bit of nurturing. Hes very fast, very tall, great header of the ball, got strength, balance, good passer and an excellent tackler. He just needs a bit of positioning sorted out. And hes almost there...

Im looking forward to watching that. Who they playing? Genk is it?

zat knight for fulham has all those attributes too but is still useless ferdinand is good but completly overrated there are better including o shea and silvstre woodgate and john terry to name but a few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

UbahOne, don't worry, I understand how you feel. I feel the exact same about Igor Biscan - so unfair what some people are saying.

Some people are just ignorant. Id be the first to compliment a good footballer regardless of the team.

I still think Ronaldo is a better striker than Van Nistelrooy...I still think ROnaldinho is the best up and coming midfielder in the WORLD. And i also think Utd not getting Kewell for that bargain is crazy.

Me too im a chelsea fan but i think henry is the greatest player in the world i simply dont rate ferdinand ye paid too much for him and he was found out in europe against good opposition

• Advertisement

Hes young. Give him time.If puyol came in, those two would learn from each other and be one of the best back lines in the world.

ye already have three class defenders to work with him ok maybe two neville is only average i dont think ye will get puyol but congrats on the ronaldo signing he is a gem of a player

How many years should Ferdinand be given? someone who costs that amount of money should already be capable of proving themselves - it shouldn't be a case of "in a few years they will be great".

Fair enough, in a few years he probably will be great but you don't spend that money on under developed players.

I would rather see JOShea get his game than more defensive players coming in, further crowding him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

but how did he get money to buy an oil company.

Had this discussion last friday, apparently with the fall (and approaching fall) of the Communist Soviet Union a lot of powerful figures were 'helping' politicians stay in power. When communism in Russia fell these were the people who made the money and the rest if the people suffered. Apparently thats where his original money comes from.

Im sure there are gaps in that as we were in da pub etc so he/i have probably forgotten details.

Buying the title is what Blackburn did whne they won it, they were nowhere, bought a couple of players and won it then faded away again. True Chelsea aren't nowhere but they haven't been close exactly. Of course there are holes in my view, but there are always holes :p

Chelsea are developing a young squad on long term contracts. So if the do "buy" the league they shouldn't necesarrily fade away.

Also - how did RA become one of the powerful people in Russia helping the politicians - he started off poor didn't he?

FFS it was from Leeds. Its was just after the World Cup. It was in a highly inflated market. Hes already a top world class defender and he will get better.

• Advertisement

he is not a tp class defender out of o shea silvestre and him he is the poorest by a long shot he sdoesnt seem to have any interest in improving all he wants to do is model underwear now if he was top class there would have been more than utd in for him maybe in a couple of years he will be, But i doubt he has the mentality, He is definatly the week link in that defense

He is a top class defender. Hes better than O Shea and Silvestre. What are you on?

Model underwear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Originally posted by UrbahOne
    Hes better than O Shea and Silvestre

I'm a United fan & have to say that I rate John O'Shea as a better defender than Rio!! Rio, like O'Shea is still learning, but I feel O'Shea is doing it quicker!!

In relation to every1 saying that £30 million for Rio was far too much, I agree .... It was a case of the money men @ United saying let's wait till after the World Cup & see how he does ... the rest is history ... Rio has a good WC & United get right royally fcuked!!

Still don't write him off just yet!!

In relation to Roman, I heard somewhere that he made his money through construction [i.e. after Russia received international funding for rebuilding the country, his company obtained the tender for the rebuilding project] - probably wrong though

O Shea is more versatile and a better defender in that respect but in the centre O Shea is not Ferdinand and not as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

I had a good chuckle when Utd signed:
    Cryuff
    Poborsky
    Blomvquist
    Bosnich
    Taibi
    Blanc

Good man smuckers. The only one of these players that cost more that 3 million was Jesper, and he was quiet a success. He was unlucky with injury but he played an importan part in United treble, Roy Keane incident aside.

As for Dryuff he only cost the club 1 million. Taibi was a disaster but he only played 4 games and was only in on a loan period.

Blanc while he may not have been a huge success on the field, off the field he was a great mentor for all the young defenders comming through including John O'Shea.

I'm glad you had a good chuckle Mark Bosnich though thats priceless. Considering UTD got him on a free transfer and then a year later released him. and who was it that signed him? Oh yea Chelsea. They gave him a five year contract and 60 grand a week to sit on the bench beside their other sub keeper Ed De Goey who was also earning a similar wage. I have to chuckle at that myself

• Advertisement

Originally posted by UrbahOne
    but in the centre O Shea is not Ferdinand and not as good.

True he's not Ferdinand, but I still rate him as a better all round defender than Ferdinand!!

He seems to get his positioning right & if not, he's quicker to correct it!!

Just my opinion :D, but although it's contrary to mine, I respect yours too!!

Originally posted by AthAnRi
    Good man smuckers. The only one of these players that cost more that 3 million was Jesper, and he was quiet a success. He was unlucky with injury but he played an importan part in United treble, Roy Keane incident aside.

As for Dryuff he only cost the club 1 million. Taibi was a disaster but he only played 4 games and was only in on a loan period.

Blanc while he may not have been a huge success on the field, off the field he was a great mentor for all the young defenders comming through including John O'Shea.

I'm glad you had a good chuckle Mark Bosnich though thats priceless. Considering UTD got him on a free transfer and then a year later released him. and who was it that signed him? Oh yea Chelsea. They gave him a five year contract and 60 grand a week to sit on the bench beside their other sub keeper Ed De Goey who was also earning a similar wage. I have to chuckle at that myself
    That's an awful lot of excuses!, quite impressive.

But its the truth...wat are ya on about?

Originally posted by UbahOne
    But its the truth...wat are ya on about?
    Yes, O'Shea is the better of the two, I'm not exactly arguing am I?

Originally posted by p.pete
    That's an awful lot of excuses!, quite impressive.

But no team is devoid of purchasing turkeys .... just United seem to be able to come up with better excuses than other teams :D

Originally posted by PhatFiesta
    But no team is devoid of purchasing turkeys .... just United seem to be able to come up with better excuses than other teams :D
    Thats only cause ye win things, that always helps the credibility of a losing argument.

But no amount of excuses will ever excuse the purchase of Poborsky ... Fergie bought him on the power of the freakiest goal in the history of footie ... he must of had about 5 lucky bounces off other players before he shot!!

Yep but the entire Czech team were in demand that Summer. It was pretty much a lucky dip as to who got the good player - who was to know back then that Nedved was the one to go for?

Tis lucky that Chelsea don't have this money to spend on the back of an international championship, everything gets a little messy.

At the end of the day every club signs flops, and Utd are not the exception, Poborsky was signed on the basis to be honest on a v average goal in the WC.
    CFC signed flops Sutton ( a desperation attempt to get a foward after Delvechio screwed us around just like Ronald Mcdonald screwed Utd)
    Luca didn't want Bogarde I remember picking him out as the weaklink when CFC Barca in first leg.
    Ambrosetti was poor but Vialli didn't help matters saying he was identical to Giggs.
    Deschamp wasn't strictly a flop as he was superb in the CL for us but mediocre in league a bit like Veron for Mancs.

:)

Getting Nedved instead of Poborsky would have been sweet!!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by PhatFiesta
    Getting Nedved instead of Poborsky would have been sweet!!
    Or even Nedved instead of Berger (we were fooled as well)

Sure was a slippery little bugger!! :D

We had the chance of buying him a couple of years back, but we wouldn't get him now for any amount of money!!

At least Berger was better than Poborsky!!

He scored a sweet free-kick against us @ Old Trafford [the first match I got tickets to see] ... there was me thinking we'd lose against the 'Pool in Old Trafford fr the first time when I was there, then up jumped Ole!!

Thank God :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by Big Ears
    we all know abramovich is rich and alot of us know he got his money from oil but how did he get money to buy an oil company.
    When Yeltsin was the President of Russia, state companies were sold off for measely sums of money to generate money for the state. In 1992, Boris Berezovsky, then one of the most powerful of the moguls brought Abramovich into the Yeltsin get rich quick camp. In 1999, Abramovich bought a controlling share (80%) of a state owned oil giant, Sibneft, for £100M. The money was put up by English financiers - European and American financial services have been more than happy to finance such deals. Sibneft happens to be the fifth-largest Russian oil giant generating billions in profit every year.

Ken Bates has said that to RA, Chelsea is his hobby .... Like Perez @ Real Madrid!!

i think he is richer than perez besides he is after making another billion in the last 7 months due to profits and dividend payouts as well as a merger between his company and another large company it says it in the sun and if it is in the sun its gotta be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Abramovich has far more money than Perez, he's in the top 50 richest men in the world.

I think that is top 50 in Europe but I don't know or care.

His wealth matches Sylvio Berlusconis' quite closely although could potentially have alot more or alot less than Sylvio in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

any1 have a clue who's next because i sure do find this chealsea thing interesting.

• Advertisement

With the PL around the corner I hope RTE changes its policy of always showing Utd and show us others clubs in action, there are others clubs in that league too and the whole world doesn't revolve around Utd, if thats the case they should rename it "The Man Utd Show".

Samuel Eto'o's future at Mallorca is still up in the air. Chelsea are interested, but are facing competition from Arsenal. Mallorca are desperately short of cash, but are not prepared to let their prize asset leave for less than €24 million. It is unclear whether Chelsea match that evaluation.

Mallorca need cash to launch an increase in the club's capital. This is one of the reasons why the club has slapped a €24 million price tag on Samuel Eto'o - half of which, in any case, will go to Real Madrid according to the conditions of the Cameroon star's sale 2 years ago from the Bernabeu.

Club owner, Pedro Terrassa, said earlier this week that "Samuel is a footballer worth at least €24 million. We won't even listen to any offer below this. With those figures in mind, it is clear that he could only go to Manchester, Arsenal or Chelsea in the Premier League - or an Italian club. Madrid and Barcelona have already closed their summer trading".

Terrassa revealed that "so far, we have only received one offer, from Chelsea, via a representative. This was considerably below what we want". Mallorca are said to be waiting for news this week.

That news might be a proposal from Arsenal. Mallorca's pre-season tour of England did not go un-noticed. So Arsenal made an offer to Mallorca of a laughable €3 million plus Sylvain Wiltord.

Wiltord has only one more season on his contract, and his contract renewal is going nowhere. Arsène Wenger thinks that Eto'o could be the perfect foil for Thierry Henry. Moreover, Wiltord is 29 years old - 7 more than Eto'o.

It is clear that such an offer will not be taken seriously by Mallorca, who have already ensured that, even if Eto'o leaves, they are well covered in the striking department. Mallorca are highly unlikely to want Wiltord - what they want is cash. And as much cash as possible. It is this cash that Arsenal are (very upsettingly) lacking at the moment.

Despite Arsenal's late interest, it would appear that Chelsea are losing their interest. Chelsea consider that Mutu will play the role that was originally earmarked for Eto'o. Furthermore, Eto'o will disappear at the beginning of next year, for the African Nations' Cup, a problem that the Romanian won't have.

In the absence of any serious proposals, Mallorca are holding on to Eto'o, and preparing the next season with him in mind. Eto'o has become the highest goalscorer for the club, and is considered the most important player in Mallorca's history.

Eto'o himself is said to be quite calm at the moment, waiting for a call from the club that would suggest that he will leave. He kept himself unaware of the news during Mallorca's pre-season tour of England, preferring to concentrate on training. He has also said 'if you want to know anything, speak to the club President. If Mato Alemany [the President] calls me and says that there is an agreement, I will travel from where I am to Palma to give a press conference and explain the situation. Then I'll go to speak with the interested club about my contract. But the Mallorca supporters will be the first to know what is happening".

Eto'o is also quoted on PlanetFootball as saying "We will have to see what happens. I don't know if this will be my last goal for Mallorca. I haven't spoken to Chelsea because I'm a footballer and I have business people to do that."

Another of Chelsea's possible striker options, Fernando Morientes, appears to want to cling to his career at Real Madrid. On Madrid's blood-sucking tour of Asia, Morientes was given many opportunities on the pitch, and scored 3 times in 4 matches. This did not go un-noticed by coach Carlos Queiroz.

Morientes, who had thought that he was 4th in the Madrid pecking order behind Raúl, Ronaldo and youth-team product Portillo, was actually given more time than Portillo. 'El Moro' is therefore confident that he can make his way back into the first team, during the forthcoming season, which promises to be long.

Despite interest from Lyon, Roma and Chelsea, Morientes has therefore discarded the option of leaving the club and will take his chances.

Whether the club management share that view, however, remains to be seen. After having spent most of last season on the bench, and having touted the player around, it is difficult to imagine that Madrid will now change their mind and decide to keep him. In addition, Madrid need cash and are looking to offload players who no longer can be considered as first-team choices.

Cheers!

Ah sarcasm lowest form of wit

sarcasm?

Originally posted by JohnnyBravo
    Ah sarcasm lowest form of wit
    Fart Jokes, so over looked.

• Advertisement
Advertisement