Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Pci Cases

Options
  • 10-08-2003 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Do they exist i.e if my pci slots all get taken up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Short answer: No.

PCI is a high speed bus and definitley not designed for travelling any further than half the length of a mobo. I would suggest upgrades (ie mobo with built-in kit - ethernet, IEEE 1394, etc) or go external USB/Firewire kit (ditch the cruddy sound card and get an extigy, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Nitrox

Not even for high end server and workstation systems!! however why anyone would need more than 12 Pci slots or 5 in a normal system is beyond me, you start having all kinds of problem and might even run out of bandwith, go for the above solution and seriously considder getting a new mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Virus_Inc
    Short answer: No.

PCI is a high speed bus and definitley not designed for travelling any further than half the length of a mobo. I would suggest upgrades (ie mobo with built-in kit - ethernet, IEEE 1394, etc) or go external USB/Firewire kit (ditch the cruddy sound card and get an extigy, etc)

The extigy sucks btw.

PCI Express :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

*shrugs* never had one myself, was just using it as an example :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

They used to do extension chassis for EISA and ISA for old servers. Haven't seen one for PCI slots, but I'm sure theres someone somewhere that does it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

There is, I saw one for macs about two years ago in an issue of macformat, not sure who sold them though. think it was computer-warehouse.

Advertisement