Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you a Buddhist?

• 10-08-2003 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Let's see how many we are. There are 3,894 Buddhists reporting as such in the 2002 Census of Ireland. That's 0.001% of the total population of 3,917,203. Not very many, though the number is up nearly 300% from the 1991 Census.

Are you a Buddhist? 41 votes

I am
    0% 0 votes
    I might be
    26% 11 votes
    I'd like to be
    19% 8 votes
    I don't know
    41% 17 votes
    I'm not
    12% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Hey! Two "I'd like to be"s and an "I might be"! Welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

I'd also like to become a buddhist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yes I am a Buddhist, irish, livening in Dublin, age 30 and some say a hippy as well!!

Peace,

Sumedha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Not buddhist, but very much want to be. anyone know where the nearest buddhist community to new ross is

(sorry to drag this up btw)

Don't be sorry. Consult this sticky to look for centres local to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Electric Mole

I read Jack Kerouac books and downloaded Sutras. I'd like to be.

I've never read any Kerouac. Is it relevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Electric Mole

The Dharma Bums is about a guy who travels around, sleeping out and figuring himself out and living his version of the Dharma and so forth. So not particularly relevant.

OK. Have you read any of the books listed on the charter thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Yes I am, why?

• Advertisement

Why not? :p

The question was to start some conversation and to find out what sort of Buddhist community we have here on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I don't know. I certainly share a lot of beliefs, but I don't know enough about it right now to state categorically either way. I'm not particularly concerned about the label, but the ideas are interesting.

Al.

I have to say, that for the past 13 years that I've lived here, I have found the label to be extremely useful. When you say "I'm a Buddhist", you prevent people from pigeon-holing you as "Catholic" or "Protestant". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

that reminds me of a great story, a friend of my mothers (buddhist) was in a bar in northern ireland. someone asked him "Are you a protestant or a catholic?" guy says "I'm a buddhist"

Long Pause

"well Are you a protestant buddhist or a catholic buddhist?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Originally posted by Yoda
    I have to say, that for the past 13 years that I've lived here, I have found the label to be extremely useful. When you say "I'm a Buddhist", you prevent people from pigeon-holing you as "Catholic" or "Protestant". ;)

Hehe, I 'd hope that most people wouold be slightly more subtle about that - e.g. up the north, if someones religion was unknown it's acceptable to ask "Where do you live?" and guess from there.

I agree the label "Buddhist" is useful for a variety of reasons, but it does (or should) mean that one believes all of the teachings and beliefs of Buddhism.

And besides, it's just too damned fashionable these days ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I'm not but i would definately like to be! I came to this decision after reading several books on zen. So where do i sign up? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Yoda wrote: »
    Let's see how many we are. There are 3,894 Buddhists reporting as such in the 2002 Census of Ireland. That's 0.001% of the total population of 3,917,203. Not very many, though the number is up nearly 300% from the 1991 Census.

The results from the 2006 Census of Ireland shows an increase of 67.3% to 6,516 recorded Buddhists.

Although I must admit that I am not included in those numbers.
    Does everyone here record their religion on the census ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Chopper wrote: »
    The results from the 2006 Census of Ireland shows an increase of 67.3% to 6,516 recorded Buddhists.
    Wow, thats a big increase:) Thanks for the info, lets hope it continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Chopper wrote: »

Although I must admit that I am not included in those numbers.
    Does everyone here record their religion on the census ?
    I'm sure not everyone does as not everyone thinks of it as a religion,
    But for what it means to others, yes I did put it in as my 'religion'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I don't know. I certainly was, but I've seen myself slip gradually back to complete atheism over the last year or so.

That said, I still have enormous respect for most Buddhists, and for most Buddhist philosophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

LOL - good one!

A reminder to not let Buddhism interfere with Buddhahood, or Christianity with Christ Consciousness. There is no Lovism - only Love. No Compassionism - only Compassion. No Truthism - only Truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Hagakure_irl

Well said MeditationMom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

LOL - good one!

A reminder to not let Buddhism interfere with Buddhahood, or Christianity with Christ Consciousness. There is no Lovism - only Love. No Compassionism - only Compassion. No Truthism - only Truth.

Er...sorry, was that directed at my post?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

I might be.... Buddhist. Ive read a few books and put into action the things I have learnt. I feel like they have shown me the path and helped me to start walking it. However I havent yet actually been to a Buddhist centre. I know there is a Tibetan Buddhist centre in Dublin and I have been meaning to go but I think I must be a little nervous. Ive never followed a religion before until just a year ago when I started learning about Buddhism. Whether then I will become Buddhist or whether I will still only follow Buddhist teachings I dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I might be.... Buddhist. Ive read a few books and put into action the things I have learnt. I feel like they have shown me the path and helped me to start walking it. However I havent yet actually been to a Buddhist centre. I know there is a Tibetan Buddhist centre in Dublin and I have been meaning to go but I think I must be a little nervous. Ive never followed a religion before until just a year ago when I started learning about Buddhism. Whether then I will become Buddhist or whether I will still only follow Buddhist teachings I dont know.
    Don't be nervous, Buddhism should be viewed as an opportunity to open the eyes to learning, not as a commitment to become a part of a religion. There is much debate as to weither it really is a religion, it is not one for me. Most of the Buddhists I know incorporate aspects of other systems into their thoughts and this shapes their lives, and that is what it is all about. Finding the ability or a way in which to shape your life in a way that makes you feel happy and encourages you to help others. For example, when I started I was 100 percent against the idea of there ever being a Jesus, now I believe he was a person, a great teacher,and it is not an issue for me anymore. It is always good to explore and a trip to the Tibetan Buddhist centre should be enjoyed as a chance to see and experience e the world through the eyes of others. Buddhists do not try to convert people, the old adage is that Buddhism does not find you, you find it when you are ready. Rather than feeling challenged by the prospect,I would encourage you to go and enjoy yourself. You never know, something you hear might turn out to strike a deep chord within you. I work on the principle that happiness could be right around the next corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

Mad Hatter - No, I was not laughing at your post, but the catholic versus protestant Buddhist story. But - you probably could get a good laugh out of people at a bar, too, by telling them you are an atheist Buddhist.

I am a catholic atheist hindu christian-scientist sufi zen-buddhist with a love for science, who has been reduced to nothing. Worn down by life and teachings to a serene I AM (most of the time ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mervatron

i don't know if "i'd like to be", because if that was the case i'd go all out and do it. But i do practise meditation, and i read lots of Buddhist writing.

I enjoy the viewpoint, as Alan Watts would say. And i try to live my life according to Buddhist ideals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

And who is this 'I' that is buddhist lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

I'm not, but used his way of thinking for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Yeah still doing that and he is a bit of a wild monkey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

It would appear that I am

• Registered Users Posts: 38 odinreln

i am

Advertisement