Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under 18 Internet Debit Cards

• 10-08-2003 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

What would you think about having an under 18 internet credit/debit card that could be like a pass card only used for internet purchases. I think it would be a great idea.

Would you find an under 18 internet debit card useful? 13 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Under 18's can get debit/credit cards, the only problem is the source of the money. If you work and have a steady income, banks may give you a limited Credit Card, and some will give you a debit card, but only on production of months of payslips, signing away your life etc.

On the other hand, if the money is coming out of your parent's pockets then banks are more than happy to give it to you.

There's no question of whether underagers can have credit cards, the question is your credit rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

is beer that hard to come by these days? :D

haha im kidding, but yeah i've seen kids in 'merica using debit cards everywhere, dunno why we dont have something like that here, i think some websites _could_ accept laser,, if they wanted, but are not set up for it. Laser is good but yearly tax on 'em is too high for u-18s, i think.

The only way to work it would be to use Visa numbers, cos thats what all sites take. I remember about 2 years ago AIB had some thing where u could get a 'one off' number and use that online. But i never saw much details about it anywhere. They might still have it tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

aphex - they still have it, its called transactonline, but you need to have a visa card with them 1st.

This poll should be edited to have an option "No - am over 18", otherwise the results will be skewed...

I have a Student Mastercard, and it is soooo handy. And it only has a credit limit of 400, so youc an't really screw yourself too badly. I am 21 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The student card limits are a bit scabby. I ditched mine and went for a proper one from MBNA. Being a 20 year old student without a proper job, I didn't think they'd give me one, but low and behold, I've now a €1000 credit limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I always wondered about the viability of a prepaid credit card in a similar fashion to how prepaid phones work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I always wondered about the viability of a prepaid credit card in a similar fashion to how prepaid phones work.

thats how laser cards work aint it? you can only spend whats in your bnk a/c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by MrPinK
    The student card limits are a bit scabby. I ditched mine and went for a proper one from MBNA. Being a 20 year old student without a proper job, I didn't think they'd give me one, but low and behold, I've now a €1000 credit limit.

Just ring AIB CC, and ask them to uppah your limit, i got mine to 800 straight away, i wasn`t to sure i`d get it so i asked could them double it to cover my next pruchase, and bam its up straight away.

I`m sure if i`d have asked they`d have put it to wotevur, due to my decent credit rating. I pay 100% of bill after transaction

Advertisement