Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age-isim...

• 10-08-2003 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

To echo Specky (in another thread) most ads looking for a band/members specify an age. I can understand why people do it. But should it really matter? If the band is primarily a social thing then fair enough. But if its about music and the style of music isn't the latest pop craze then really it shouldn't matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

ooo...I have an echo! In this context I suppose it is a nice old tape loop and not one of these new fangled digital type echos?

:D

Like I said (in the other thread) it doesn't matter much to me what age people are as long as we have something in common in the music....it can be a little amusing when you have younger members in the band too, their mammies come to all the gigs (and sometimes even the rehearsals!!)...which can sometimes be a little incongruous...have on at least one occasion listened to a post gig chastisement of a young band member for using a "bad word" in one of the songs and heard "oh that was very nice, I'll bring your gran along next time"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I couldn't be in a band with anyone under 18, not because I doubt their musical ability, but they would be a hinderance more than a help.

It's very awkard hanging around with people who are 4 years younger than you when your out having a drink after the gig or whatever.

I doubt theres a band that is so professional they just play together for the music and aren't really friends otherwise, or else they won't be in that band very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Yep, you're right Giblet. Although I didn't actually say it I think I'd come to the same conclusion myself.

Being able to stand your round and not getting asked for ID to get into your own gigs are pre-requisites of potential band membership.

...and yes, it's nice when you can relate to the people you play with. Perhaps I was being too idealistic...I think we're probably all a little ageist sometimes and relate best to people with similar life experiences....most important thing would be I wouldn't want to be in a band with any complete tw@ts, no matter how old or young they might be

Advertisement