Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pendrive

Options
  • 11-08-2003 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I bought a Twinmos 256 pendrive from Komplett recently, but have great trouble trying to use it.
    It won't work with ME [not supposed to need drivers] or 98. [I did use the drivers disk for 98 that came with the pendrive].
    Komplett will take it back and refund the money but I wish there was a way of getting it to work!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Did the 98 drivers appear to install properly? The faq on the twinmos site says that ME does sometimes need these drivers. They may also have more recent drivers that the ones you have, you should d/l them. Also try it on a computer with 2k/XP. It should definitely work without drivers on that. If it doesn't, then it's a problem with the pendrive itself

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I may have misread your post over on the komplett board (can't find it now). Did it work in any machine at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stephn

No, it didn't.
    I am going to download new drivers from the Twinmos site [that weren't there last week] and give it another chance. Nice gent on Komplett suggested that I try a new pendrive coming in later in the month. Trouble it, it doesn't look as cool as the Twinmos!

If it doesn't work on any machine it's probably DOA. Try the new drivers on the win98 machine as you said, certainly try MrPink's suggestion of trying the drive on a windows 2000 or XP machine with no drivers. If it fails on these you've got a dead drive:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Yeh, there's a slight issue with the driver running on win98, I got a 128 one a while back and haven't had that much trouble on 98 but u gotta make sure u install all their sofware from the the disc, not just the one that says win98.setup or something like that....run the full setup, I didn't have any problem on newer versions of windows, also check in the msconfig menu, make sure it starts up.

Ps, why don't they work on nt?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    Annoying reason for that. NT4 didn't support USB until service pack 6 (or 6a, take your pick). Because USB support was added so late, very few USB devices have drivers for NT4 (so much so that you'll get otherwise quite knowledgeable people swearing blind that "NT doesn't support USB"). Microsoft never developed any universal drivers for USB devices on NT4 (NT isn't plug and play friendly anyway). Hence, as a rule they don't work on NT4.

(incidentally it's the same reason there are very few DVD players that'll work with NT4 - support for the format was added late as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    Yeh, there's a slight issue with the driver running on win98, I got a 128 one a while back and haven't had that much trouble on 98 but u gotta make sure u install all their sofware from the the disc, not just the one that says win98.setup or something like that....run the full setup, I didn't have any problem on newer versions of windows, also check in the msconfig menu, make sure it starts up.

Afaik isn't there a limit on FAT32 for minimum volume size? something like 512MB o rsomething?

Surely it'd resort to FAT16?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stephn

I am going to download new drivers from the Twinmos site [that weren't there last week] and give it another chance

The new drivers didn't work either, so the pendrive gets returned to sender.
    Guess I'll try out the Billionton at http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?AvdID=1&CatID=17&GrpID=15&t=1744&l=2

Thanks for your help, all.

Advertisement