Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor Boats / Licence / Tax ??

Options
  • 11-08-2003 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Does anyone here know anything about owning a small motorboat?

Is any sort of licence required? Is any type of annual tax required?

What permission (and from whom) is required to use on public rivers/loughs?

Anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Originally posted by pod
    Does anyone here know anything about owning a small motorboat?

Is any sort of licence required? Is any type of annual tax required?

What permission (and from whom) is required to use on public rivers/loughs?

Anyone know?

I use small motor boats(mainly ribs) on the sea so my knowledge of the waterways is limited. As far as I am aware. You have to pay a small fee to use the canals.

There is no tax on small motor boats at the moment as far as i am aware. You do however get charged for mooring your boat in a harbour or even in the open sea.

HOwever, due to the increasing number of private individuals owning small motor boats there will be increased regulation and enforcement of safety(i.e. making ppl pass a basic boat handling course). PArt of these measures may include taxation.
    While I'm totally for increased regulation. Too much paper work may be very unwelcome. However as it is a 12 year old can pilot a V8 Diesal rip unaccompanied and with no training at all.
    That has to change

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You do need to do some minimal registration of the boat, if it is over a certain length. In coastal areas, you would also need to carry an Irish flag etc. Few rivers are actually public - the adjacent landowners own them (in other places certain rights - say fishing -will have been sold on).

Drop into one of the boat shops in one of the Marinas (Malahide, Howth, Dun Laoghaire) and they will know all the requirements. Unless, you are only buying a dinghy, it is not cheap - you can easily spend €50,00 - €200,000. Insurance is an absolute must.

Can I suggest you do some boating, before you buy.

Importing a boat will have VAT charged @ 21% (yes, they have been keeping an eye out - boats are a way to launder money and will attract attention).

Advertisement