Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[New Forum] Accessibility / Mobility / Disability

Options
  • 11-08-2003 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if there is enough support for an Accessibility / Mobility / Disability forum. It would go in "Society", be public, possibly with Anonymous posting (not sure on that as it could be prone to trolling / abuse and would then need extra / vicious mods)

I don't know, I'm going to fly a flag. Something like 3% of the population have a severe / pronounced disability, up to 10-14% have some disability / mobility problems (including older people). Up to 40% of the population have accessibility problems - can't handle steep stairs / ladders, have problems using public transport / public building dues to small children etc.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In time, can I get some Admin feedback on this and / or move the thread to Feedback / Suggestions.

I have had two people PM me with support. I would like to see if there are others out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Let's hear some more support for this...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've no objection if theres support from interested parties...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Would dyslesia come under one of the topics for discussion on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Thorbar
    Would dyslesia come under one of the topics for discussion on this forum?
    If you mean dyslexia (I know! :)), I wasn't thinking of it at the start, but why not. I was thinking more of sensory and physical issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I would be very very much in favour of this forum.

I have a lot of experience dealing with physical disability and would strongly support any forum where the issues of people with disabilities can be raised and discussed in such a format as boards.ie or elsewhere.

I personally have a visual impairment and am registered with the N.C.B.I. and am also involved in a group called Féach which supports people with a V.I. and their families.

I think such a forum would be helpful for people with many types of disability not just a Visual Impairment to discuss issues which may be unique to themselves or which are quite common.

Speaking from experience as I was growing up and dealing with different situations which arose from my disability it would have been very helpful to have had people who may have gone through it to advise or to just offer support. I know too that my parents/teachers etc. may have found something like that to be beneficial also.

If nothing else it would be a great support to people with disabilities.

I had thought of suggesting such a forum in the past but was unsure if anyone would be particularly interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I think this is a great idea too, would be well used, alot of issues could be discussed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I'd have to throw my support behind this as well tbh i know a few people with disabilities and i think it would be a good place to discuss issues that come hand in hand with having a disability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Well, I'm currently caring for somebody with a physical disability (elderly parent with mobility problems), so I'd be in favour of this too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I'm loving this idea.
    i really would love to be more informed about disabilities i find that very little time is given to simply informing people about disabilities. providing information for people dealing with them as well as informing the genreal public of the everyday burdens they face.

i'm also thinking that a dyslexia forum whould be quite helpful. i remember when i found out i had dyslexia all thoughs years ago i was never told what it ment or if it could be fixed or anything. i was given wrong information and eventually i just had to do my own research into what the whole thing was about.
    and so a forum to discuss such things could help people understand and be directed to any help they require.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

As somone who has spina bifida, epilepsy ,asthma, etc etc, I would support this entirely.

Personallly, I use an electric wheelchair, and have done since childhood, and i can tell u, this forum would be used in a big way, I am involved in the disability movement and am a trainer and facilitator of equality / awareness workshops, indeed I am listed on serveral gov websites lol ;)

So, yes please, do, its much needed :) And I would be happy to help in any way I can.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yes,there is a need for a forum of this type.

P.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, it gets my vote as a mate of mine is disabled after a car crash (in which i was a passenger). Definitely should be part of the boards community to help raise awareness of disibilities and related issues.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Done.

DeV.

Excellent :)

Thanks DeV

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

noice one dev, i think this will make a good addition. my cousin is blind and the whole family is very involved in various issues involving it, such as the guide dogs, Feach, national council etc.

Nice to see a board like this get the go ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

Age wise: as a 4* odd person, who is devoted to the spell checker, i would love to develop a forum on Dyslexia.

I learned very late in life and I would love to a) hear and b) suggest.

I have another brother who is not and one who is (very) and a sister that tips in the middle. – all would love a chat or a debate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

blue4ever wrote: »
    Age wise: as a 4* odd person, who is devoted to the spell checker, i would love to develop a forum on Dyslexia.

I learned very late in life and I would love to a) hear and b) suggest.

I have another brother who is not and one who is (very) and a sister that tips in the middle. – all would love a chat or a debate.

Hi blue4ever. You can request a new forum in 'Forums'. If it gets enough support and the Admins think it a good idea it will be created.

Accessibility / Mobility / Disability can be found here, a quick search reveals that Dyslexia has been discussed previously. This thread is a couple of years old so it may not be the best place to start a request, again, I'd recommend trying the 'Forums' forum linked above :)

Good luck with the new request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Good work, guys.

As a paediatrician I look after a LOT of disabled kids. It's a problem that not only affects the sufferer, but their family and friends too, in fact their whole social circle.

Hopefully the forum will get a good bit of traffic, as there's really poor support networks out there for those affected.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Good work, guys.

As a paediatrician I look after a LOT of disabled kids. It's a problem that not only affects the sufferer, but their family and friends too, in fact their whole social circle.

Hopefully the forum will get a good bit of traffic, as there's really poor support networks out there for those affected.

You mean the forum that's been there for 5 years now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I knew the whole 2003 bit would catch someone out. :D

If the person who unearthed this thread is suggesting we start a forum aimed at dyslexia I'd have to disagree with that, otherwise we'll just have to start fora for every disability/condition and every related condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Amz wrote: »
    If the person who unearthed this thread is suggesting we start a forum aimed at dyslexia I'd have to disagree with that, otherwise we'll just have to start fora for every disability/condition and every related condition.

Not according to the precedence rules in the Forums forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054909233

If the OP can show that a Dyslexia forum would be used then it should be created I think, more power to em.

They should use the forum already available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Amz wrote: »
    They should use the forum already available to them.

Well you could say that about the vast majority of forums that have been set up. Why should golfers get a Golf forum when they could just post in the Sports forum? etc etc

Yes you could, and if you look at a lot of the sports fora which were created based on your argument you'll see how quiet some of them are and you will also see that I've made the same points before.

I believe that to prove the demand is there for a forum that there should be use made of the fora already there to cater for that demand. I always have believed that. The A/M/D forum as it currently stands caters for it and there are few if any threads relating to dyslexia and learning disabilities. The forum has been around for 5 years and in my time modding it etc. I don't think I saw one dyslexia related thread. To argue that there may be demand for a forum is silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Silverfish wrote: »
    You mean the forum that's been there for 5 years now?

hahahaha, I take back what i said then, it must be a shoite forum then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Normally, when the parent forum becomes crowded with threads about [subtopic], a sub-forum will be created. This IMO is the best way to handle new forums creation, with requests only for niche forums of which the subject matter wouldn't fit anywhere else, and community forums (BGRH or magic for example).

That said, creating forums based on subject matter does stimulate debate and activity however. When cloud made a forum for each county, that increased the posting in the region section massively. Similar to Ecksor and Mustard. Who would talk about mustard otherwise! :)

A balance can be struck between creating forums out of necessity(example work issues subforum) and simply to stimulate debate(example is this proposed dyslexia furom)

tallaght01 wrote: »
    hahahaha, I take back what i said then, it must be a shoite forum then :p
    Well now that you know it exists perhaps you'd consider contributing to it and/or pointing parents etc. towards it so that they can ask questions or have discussions etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement