Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picking computer parts. Help would be nice

• 11-08-2003 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

First things first please dont't move this mordeth as i hate thoose **** stains in the technology section they will give me 50 diffrent choices. If you have to move it move it to the keystone forum.

Well anway i should be comming into some money soon (yeah yeah very funny) and need help deciding what parts to buy for my first computer that jack built. Now directly after asking for your help i am going to annoy you by saying,
    1 If you dont have a rough price please dont bother as i am sick of looking through sites.
    2 Keep it around the same price as what i got or lower if possible
    Basicly i am looking for flaws in my purchase plan or something silly i'm getting that i will never need, for example. Your mother board dosen't need that flux capasatator or plasma conduite as you don't need to generate time space interdictor fields ergo, congruently.
    Oh yeah advice like buy your chip last as the prices are alwasy going down or above advice for graphics card would be nice.

Here's what i plan on getting excluding the fans, Keyboard, mouse, case(i don't care Ivan i like it), CDR and stuff, theese i will get one way or another.

MSI KT6 DELTA-FIS2R Mainboard Socket A KT600, S-ATA, ATX Price 144 euro
    PS Dogboy you'r fairly in the know about stuff like this could you give it a once over.
    Link
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=474&MODEL=MS-6590%20Ver2.0

AMD Athlon XP2600+ 2.083 GHz 333 MHz bus Socket A (Thoroughbred) prosessor. OEM Price 115 euro
    Link
    http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/index.html

Gainward GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR AGP, "PRO/680TV-DVI",Tv-Out, Price 120 euro
    PS ah Dogboy i don't suppose you could do it again
    Link
    http://www.gainward.com/c-1.html?id=99

TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL2 32M*8/8chip, 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz) Price 69 euro
    Link
    Who cares it's ram. Wait should i care? Should i care wheather i care or not?

Now we play hungry hungry hippo's.
    PPS anyone wanna give me free stuff?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Hey

The memory I would definetly spend a little more and go for the pc400 stuff. It will alow you to get a much better overclock on your system. Well worth the extra 20 -30 squids in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Nice
    Mobo seems nice - other options : Asus/Gigabit [although one you've chosen is fine]

Presume you've thought out GeForce Vs. Radeon - either good, and theres so many diff types benchmarks v. hard to get accurate idea - [the coin landed on heads? :) ]

Only thing I'd _strongly_ suggest would be to double your ram - get the 512 - it's worth it, and ye really do need it for the sort of processor your getting ... it's a bit extra, but i'd regard as essential.
    Corsair ram is faster, more expsnsive, but I wouldn't regard that high priority ...
    Presume your going by komplett?
    [note on Komplett forum they give you the weekly offers for the next week on friday evening]

Nice ne hows.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Change in plan here is the new list

Sapphire Radeon 9000 Atlantis PRO 128MB
    - AGP, ATI 9000PRO, VIVO, Retail In stock: 100.04
    Abit NF7 V2.0 Mainboard for Socket A DDR
    - nForce2SPP/MCP/Ultra 400,ATX,USB2.0,LAN In stock: 20-49 99.55
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB CL2 32M*8/8chip, 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz) Price 69 euro
    AMD Athlon XP2600+ 2.083 GHz 333 MHz bus Socket A (Thoroughbred) prosessor. OEM Price 115 euro

Thanks to dog_boy for the common sense. Will get around to the ram later as i have to go offline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What about a hard disk? Putting a clunky old disk into that machine would just slow it down. Get a nice big 7200 RPM one and you're flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

+ 8MB buffer for them big files!
    get more and faster ram. i take u'll be playing games well if ur
    playing bf1942 u'll need lots of fast ram.

make splash out on a graphic card too, cos u'll need it when hl2 comes out + if the pc is for gaming then spend more money on the gaming area (graphic card, ram)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

change the fx5200 ur better off getting a geforce 4 than one of those one of my mates has a 2.8 ghz machine with 1gb ram and a fx5200 and it stuggles to play unreal 2

Hard Drive is already picked
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB IDE ATA/100 harddisk 8MB cache 7200RPM

How about this for ram
    DDR-DIMM PC2700 512MB DDR CL2.5 Generic memory 184-P (for DDR-PC333MHz) price 93.30

May have to put more money into graphics than i had planned this could be tricky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Originally posted by Vulture
    Change in plan here is the new list

Sapphire Radeon 9000 Atlantis PRO 128MB
    - AGP, ATI 9000PRO, VIVO, Retail In stock: 100.04

Thanks to dog_boy for the common sense. Will get around to the ram later as i have to go offline

Bleh, I fricking told yah so :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

same graphics card as i have [well model anyway radeon 9k pro - i've had no real problems with it - runs any game i have grand ;)]

going for 512 ram is good ...

suggestion regarding HD - Maxtor 80gig 8mb cache
    as maxtor take advantage of ATA133, [which are only make who currently support ATA133]
    From what i've been reading on komplett forum - would not advise getting maxtor over 80gigs [they tend to go boom]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Get a barton 2500 instead of a tbred 2600

• Advertisement

Can anyone tell me the diffrence between a barton and a Thoroughbred?

Thanks for the input ladies and gents since i am so gratefull i will respond to everyone wheather you like it or not

mickb00:
    Yep i got to get better RAM but i have limited funds and want to get the chip, mother board and most importantly the graphics card sorted first. Then i know how much remaining funds i can put into it. I can always upgrade later. But I'll try to get pc 400, I love the speedy stuff. I just wish i knew what was speedy for all this crap. Thanks.

Sinnocence:
    The motherboard got changed in favour of the Abit NF7 V2.0 and the graphics card was chanded in favour of the Sapphire Radeon 9000 Atlantis PRO 128MB. I Don't know why this radeon is better than the G Force but dog_boy was very clear on the point that the G force one sucked and he seems to know his stuff so their ya go. Am leaving getting the graphis card till as late as possible so i can get a good..... overview i suppose. Oh as for the ram see the above paragraph. Cheers for the input.

Stephen:
    This ain't no upgrade, it's a whole new machine.. hopefully. This new one is for carlow. Have changed my mind about the hard drive a few times after assorted peoples suggestion's am going for the Seagate Barracuda 120GB IDE 8 mg cache 7200 RPM
    Thanks for looking out for me

Clansman:
    They make computers that are not for gameing outside the LRC, that's a crime. Basicaly you say spend lots on the RAM and Graphis card, good advice but my budget wont allow 250 euro for graphics and still leave me with a key board :) Am going to try and get most of everything sorted so i know i will have a ful computer at the end not half. But am definatly going to put the most into the graphics if i can help it. Then we play starcraft and i will have a shiney case to blind you with MUHAHAHAHA
    Thanks

Ivan:
    Ahmmmm yes you did but he gave me a list of other good ones (with prices) i should go through, with his fav one pointed out. Well thanks anyway for trying to stop me making a mistake.
    PS I like the case and i don't care what anyone says about that.

Sinnocence:
    Thanks for the tip but i am going for the Seagate Barracuda 120Gb. It aint made by maxtor.

bazH:
    What is the diffrence between the barton and the Thoroughbred? Why should i change to it? I am a little bit stubborn and i kinda need a reason why i should change to the barton.
    Thanks but could ya tell me why i chould change please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The tbred runs with a 266mhz Front Side Bus, the Barton is 333mhz Front Side Bus.

If you bought some good ram(pc3200, pc3500) you would have a good combination as there is a lack of bottlenecking which will give faster performance.

The barton 2500 can be easily overclocked to a xp3000 which is a €275 chip.

Advertisement