Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPS on indigo quake servers!

Options
  • 20-03-1999 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Slosh,
    Great job on servers, full credit, u filled a gap in the server scene and finally got indigo off their @rses.

The OPS tho slosh, clean them out.
    Everyone seems to have them, and everyone is applying their own rules.
    You have no list of ops anywhere, there are no rules anywhere about what u will be kicked for. Alot of ppl are gettin pi$$ed off with many of the OPS.
    They are kicking ppl without warning, without any reason being given.
    Worst of all if anyone annoys just them and not the rest of the players present they kick anyway.

This is a complaint.

Mickah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭bubbles

I agree, we need to get a set of ground rules up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

List the ops that ppl have problems with mickah
    gOOO ON
    NAME AND SHAME

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Lads what is the problem, a little common sence is all thats required. Muppets with offensive nicks and anyone who is abusive will most likely be kicked.

The worst of the them actually think its funny, but as far as I can see its just kids trying to see how far they can push things.

And as for getting kicked for annoying an admin, just think about it for a second, what is the best way for an admin to annoy you back...

The main reason there is no list of rules is simple, it would be another reason for someone to complain, rules are not to everyones liking but if you want a few to start off with ok...

Rule 1. Dont annoy an admin
    Rule 2. Really Really Dont annoy an admin
    Rule 3. Dont use offensive nicks
    Rule 4. Dont be abusive to other players
    Rule 5. Use some common Sense

So lets have a few more suggestions for rules, but be very careful Mickah and anyone else who wants them, because once theyre written down all ops will have to observe the rules rigerously or else some other whining Muppet will start complaining that some ops dont enforce the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mickah

Vex,
    The problem is that half the OPS on those servers are muppets, and make rules up as they go along. Do I need to remind people of the Riker incident?

We want :
    1 : A list of OPS
    2 : A strict code of conduct for those OPS
    3 : A list of the major rules, that people will be kicked on site for, without exception

As for suggestions for rules, I ain't an admin, once you kick in that admin code you except the responsibility to be fair to one and all. You come up with the rules and we'll respond.

"Rule 3. Dont use offensive nicks"

I assume you are referring to clan [curse]. People are allowed use bad language on the servers, so banning bad language in nicks is another case of "making the rules up as you go along".

Mickah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Riker

Just for the record that wasn't me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭MikeS

Hmmmm.. Mickah i dunno where your comeing from almost all the ops are sensible ppl and they are as far as i can see doing a great job without a definative set of rules. However as was said already if ya want us to come up with a set of rules that muppets can further complaine about i dont see the point as i can see the list of rules eventually turning into a book or rules of Dont do this an Dont do that. So my point is Slosh has done the right thing by NOT having a list of rules and just having the right ppl as ops. You are cribbing now about some trivial thing so can ya imagine the cribs outta ya if there was a list for you to crib about ? smile.gif

MikeS

Death : i'm not telling him to run the servers, all we want is information

MikeS : whatt the hell are you wibbling about?!?!?

Is it too much to ask for a list of OPS and a set of basic rules to go by?

Mickah

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

well I`m not one for getting involved in childish antics but anyhow..

I`d like to point out something...why are people getting kicked for offensive nicks???

like whats the point who cares what someones nick is. Its like name calling and everyone used to that as a kid right???

Any servers I used to play on you always had someone with a mad name that everyone just beat the crap out of and everyone had a laugh cause this guys nick sucks and everyone beat him....

has quake really gone this bad???

Ro.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Waht I'd like to see is.

1. Less OPS
    2. No real kicking except in absolutely extreme offenses
    3. Electing OPS slapped back in (to deal wiht gone off OPS)

and free beer

Ok i have mailed slosh to make sure that it is ok to list all the ops for the servers.

Now if Clan Curse ever set foot on any of the servers and have offensive nicks - u can take it that they will be kicked on sight, that also includes clever abbreviations, the only person who has a particularly clever name was MP and i think most ppl will admit that it was Not offensive.

So (and i'm not talking for all the ops) here fidn it offensive and un-necessary and if I see it I will be annoyed and will act accordingly, even if you are in the middle of a clan game.

Now I take your point that people do curse and swear on the servers but in my experience no more so than in daily life and it has never been excessive with the exception of some teenagers.

By using an "unpleasent/offensive/whatever" nick will mean that the screen will be flooded by X was killed by Curse(unpleasent word) or vice versa and no doublt there will be many occasions when this clan will simple talk for no good reason just to show of their nicks.

Now if you seriously believe that this is clever/cool/funny/acceptable/not pushing your luck, well that is your prerogative.

I will exercise my prerogative also and I hope that have made it very clear why.

Any questions/opinions can be aired here in open court, probably the best place to do it.. This way the majority of people can air their views on how the servers are admined or how they should be admined.

• Advertisement

Vex,
    Clan [curse] is very childish but it's fun. Any time we grace the servers with our presence, ppl have good crack with is, changing their names to "[curse] ????" aswell, infact no player has complained only the OPS!

And we only print our names after the series cos HAHA is our inspiration, he does it all the time, hail HAHA

Mickah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

LOL yiz do it after every round ffs smile.gif and it gets very annoying
    First it was funny second it was ok thrid time its crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Righty,

I am NOT Slosh, so it's not my call, but he did give me and others Ops to try and stomp out enevitable muppetry on the Indigo (and now Tinet) servers.

Other than the list of rules Vex posted (and as good a list as any), there are no rules. There is merely the hope that a bunch of guys (and girl smile.gif ) can actually act in a somewhat mature manner. I have never kicked anyone for having fun on the servers, but I have kicked for being offensive, annoying, and immature.

In my opinion, not enough kicking is done, and people are let away with a nawful lot of stupidity. Posting out a set of rules will result in whining about them by all, and a small group of people finding loopholes to exploit to see how far they can get. A list of kick offences that I would gladly enforce are as follows.

1. Abusive behaviour by ANYONE to ANYONE.
    2. Inappropriate nicks.
    3. Any kind of cheating (DUH) smile.gif
    4. The overuse of a phrase to the point where it becomes flooding.
    5. Insulting anyone who frags you, merely for doing so. (ie "Spamming ****!!" (What the hell were you doing in the 100h pit anyway?))
    6. Annoying an op (They're people too).

Just my .02 Euros worth.....

Hail To The King, Baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭MikeS

Yes Mickah it is!!!!...Just live with it mate (even though i know ya wont! sad.gif ) In other words that even 'U' can understand STFU and just stop whingeing and just play!. After all thats what the game is all about! Now haveing said all that i challange ANYONE! to log into Athlone and not whinge! OR play me loged into Dublin and ye loged into Athlone... Now THAT! would really give ye something to cpmplaine about! Gees ye dont even know what lag is........
    MikeS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Mickah i dont think you are one to tell the people who run the servers wots allowed and what isnt i think thats up to slosh in all fairness.

Live Out Your Dream,Turn Corporate.

[CORP]Death

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm with Vex and Jaden (god I feel like I need a shower now...)
    no player has complained only the OPS

This reminds me of those lines from Resevoir Dogs. (paraphrased) "Did you kill anyone?" "A few cops" "No real people?"

DeV

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

I really hate u Michael !!!! smile.gif

yet for once I agree with you

(now no1 will be on ur side)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Nicky

an op is someone whos opinion is counted above ours, if an op kicks you, he is saying that his OPINION is right,and that EVERYONE else who complains or otherwise is wrong, then they adopt the yes yes slosh is on my side i dont care attitude. its not fun!! quake used to be so much fun, someone like daa's attitude is extreme, i still dont think he should be kicked, but its something that is understandable, but for changing your names to something RUDE ooooooooooooooooooo, how naughty!!! like you're our ****ing parents or something. im lucky cause i can go play on foreign servers sometimes if my ping is ok, but i pity the poor modemers who have to pay money to suffer under this HARSH regime. ehhhhhhhh

Nicky

I think you have missed the point, its not a problem with someone using an obscene nick occasionally, perhaps some people find it ammusing... The "problem" is a group/Clan of people using Obscene Nicks at the same time and having the nicks flash on the screen regularly .. it stops being funny/amusing after two or three times. If a group of people find this behavior unpleasent being asked to change your nick or be kicked does not appear harsh when its so easy to use the quake nick you were born with.

As for your point about when is an ops opinion counted above yours ... can you give me an example of when your opinion was rejected over an abmins opinion ...

with the exception that using an "naughty" nick is ok in your opinion and perhaps not acceptable in an admins opinion...

The reason why I am excluding "your opinion" is that being asked not to use an offensive nick will have absolutely no effect on your enjoyment of the game...

So what I am looking for is when an admins opinion has actually

1) being counted above yours and has affected your game

2) Some "genuine" example of how admins make live miserable for people thereby forcing them to play on foreign servers.

Maybe when the real facts on how unfairly some people are being treated by the admin population comes out, then the admins can get together and decide on "An Admin Code of Conduct" and people can get back to enjoying the game and having fun.

Dev,
    Bullsh!t, the OPS are there to uphold order and kick anyone that annoys the people on the server. You are there to serve the ppl! Not to enforce you're own views!

yea!

Mickah

• Advertisement

so, when this clan curse came rudly onto the server, did many people begin to wail in despair? or was it just the op? lets say i go onto the server and i call myself......
    "****"...gosh...will i be kicked? imagine it now. if im not a *****, if i say nothing, will i be kicked? and why, give me a solid reason for me being kicked. its because theres some strange feeling you call "unpleasent"? and because you receive this strange synaptic impulse WE have to watch what we do, and thats what i hate, thats all, having to be careful what i say, there are limits, and, while i REALLY dont give a ****, i did get midly ****ed off when i heard the way this was being run, cause its like irc.....****KING IRC, where some little PRRICK call ELF CAN FUCCKING KICK AND BAN YOU FOR HAVING TWO IRC'S OPEN AT THE SAME TIME. EEEEEELLLFFFFF

Again you have missed my point - i dont have a problem with the use of colourful language on the servers. Have you ever seen me complain to anyone - about what they do on the servers - ( with the exception of an overly abusive individual from ennis) ..

To make my point for the last time the only problem i have with colourful language/nicks is "excessive and unnecessary use of it" ...

It was announced that there may be a clan curse playing regularly (possibly) and I simply feel that that is uncalled for. I was on the server over the weekend and there were two players on using Clan Curse nicks - I didnt think it was amusing or funny and at the same time I didnt ask them to change their nicks nor did I take the opportunity to kick them - I thought it was a couple of lads enjoying them selves.

So to make my point for the last time - I dont mind Colorful Language - I do mind excessive and unnecessary use of it - - now u might say where do i draw the line - well I draw the line at Clan Colourful Language becase I regard that as excess ive.

And dont forget - it only takes a few complaints to indigo and tinet to have this free service taken away - if the isps regard the servers as more trouble than they are worth.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bullsh!t, the OPS are there to uphold order and kick anyone that annoys the people on the server. You are there to serve the ppl!

Great. When do I get paid so??

Your faithful servant.
    DeVore.

But then, that sort of language is never necessary. i dont think using those curse names is necessary, they are just trying to make a point. Being abusive is the only excess i can see, its not only unnecessary, it steals fun from the game, usually. But what this is all about is gandalf kicking people for using naughty names (gosh!!). all we really need is for people to complain openly about this, if they find all this detracts from their enjoyment, ok, it then makes sense to cease all this and enforce set out rules. for example. if i were to go onto the server, stay up the lift, and spam. who are you to tell me how to play, i mean how dare you, i have been kicked for doing this, camping etc., in clan arena its a smart thing to do, if you were to go straight to the red armour and spam, you would die little, good for your team. its a style, people should noit be forced to change their style, im not saying im gonna do this, its not a good way to get a lot of kills, but if i wanted to, i should be allowed to. What exactly are the lmitations, right now it seems that the limitations all depend on how narrow minded the ops are. ive never had a real problem with the ops, and never with youself at all vex, but its a possibility that should not arise. your point is that a recurring name like fucck being printed on the screen does not only not amuse you if offends you yeah?
    well, ok, see if it offends other people too, and if it does, ask him to change his name. majority rules. i just think that kicking is an extreme thing, usually unnecessary, limits are what we need, i personally dont think that having curse names is amusing, annoying or otherwise, they are just names. imagine you were at a lan, you were given admin rights. someone came in as a curse name, what would you say to them, is it because there might be chldren playing or something? are we being exposed to something we should not have to see. i think the indigo servers should have an over 18's cert on them. id please yungfella.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ahh Nicky I did ask people to change their nicks and as far as I remember their responses were more colourful than the nicks they used. I gave them a chance to change and they didn't. Thats why I started to kick. I never kick from IRC or Quake without giving a warning.

If its on a enclosed lan I've no problem with what people call themselves but on a open server thats not our property I do. We are getting a free service from Indigo & Tinet they do not have to provide this service all we pay for is access to the internet. All it needs is for a few complains to get them to removes these extra services they are providing.

Gandalf.

Gandalf,
    only the OPs are complaining, no-one else is, that's our god damn point!!!

Mickah

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Cmon then - name & shame..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK Mickah let me spell this out for you. We will probally not hear about complains until it is too late.

Also Slosh has told the ops, admins, Gestapo what ever you want to call us to use the responsiblity to stop muppetry on the servers. From what I can see it has been generally agreed amoung use that tasteless nicks are not on. If you don't like this and as you do get off your ass and contribute, and were doin so long before Slosh ever got here then set your own Clan Curse server up and you all can act the maggot there to your hearts content smile.gif

Gandalf.

Gand is right, I never kick without giving a warning either. I've often said "last warning" and people know I mean it now.

Offenisiveness on the servers cost us a good chance at another sponsor while I was in Scotland at christmas. The person responsible eventually apologised and claimed he would never do it again. He lied, as he has done before.

Bottom line was that I was highly embarrassed in front of a person who could have swung a trip to scotland for us. I was giving them a tour of the servers when it happened.
    They just walked away, rather amused. I asked later if there was any chance and they said they "were aiming at a more mature market".
    And thats no joke :/
    I didnt mention this before to spare the person involved a lynching but he seems to have forgotten his promise so it seems like a good time to bring it up again.

I wont tolerate offensiveness and neither will the other ops. We ARENT here to pander to your every whim and take abuse from ye. You dont like it?? Go somewhere where everyone finds your nicks amusing. I hear DNA have a some good games servers.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭adra

Chaos & Koopa.....
    I was Bart then.......me and cream stayed in vexs gaff over christmas and i was on with vex if yee remember vex was ther too

twas me that was bart not vex

get facts straight boyos

no this hasnt anything really to do with this post but
    yee two accused vex of been bart when it wasnt him at all at all

so there
    tongue.gif

Advertisement